Non-College Grad Scott Walker

No, his degree (or lack thereof) is not a factor. If he were running for a position like attorney general and didn't have a JD, that would be another issue, but governor is just an administration job and his track record is sufficient.

His record in office should be more than enough to determine whether he gets my vote or not. That actually goes for anyone, not just him.

Didn't seem to be an issue in 2010

Madison — If elected to the state's top job this fall, Milwaukee County Executive Scott Walker would become the first Wisconsin governor in 64 years who doesn't have a college degree, breaking the mold of the current crop of governors nationally.

That's either an important symbolic shortcoming or an irrelevant distinction, depending on whom you ask.

It's cropping up a bit in the Republican primary for governor, and it would put a personal dimension to an issue he would handle as governor - getting more college students to finish their degrees and stay in Wisconsin.

His rival in the Republican primary, former U.S. Rep. Mark Neumann, has made a subtle reference to Walker's lack of a degree with a feature on his website that compares his résumé with his opponents'. Neumann has a master's degree and the Democrat in the race, Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett, has a law degree.

Neumann and Barrett received A's and B's in school, according to transcripts they released at the Journal Sentinel's request.

Walker declined to release his transcripts, but his campaign said he had a grade-point average of 2.59, in the C's. He had just established status as a senior when he left after four years of mostly full-time coursework at Marquette University.Walker's supporters - and even some of his detractors - say it shouldn't matter that he didn't attain a degree.

"There are tens of thousands of people with master's degrees who don't have the common sense God gave a rabbit," said state Sen. Glenn Grothman (R-West Bend), who has a law degree from the University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Read more from Journal Sentinel: Election 2010 - Is finishing college an issue in governor's race?
Follow us: @JournalSentinel on Twitter

A college degree is not a measure of intelligence or capability

Just out of curiosity...what credence (if any) do you give to a college degree holder? All things being equal, if your daughter brought home a young man as a suitor to meet you, would having a college degree be better or worse in terms of how you thought about him?

Didn't seem to be an issue in 2010

Madison — If elected to the state's top job this fall, Milwaukee County Executive Scott Walker would become the first Wisconsin governor in 64 years who doesn't have a college degree, breaking the mold of the current crop of governors nationally.

That's either an important symbolic shortcoming or an irrelevant distinction, depending on whom you ask.

It's cropping up a bit in the Republican primary for governor, and it would put a personal dimension to an issue he would handle as governor - getting more college students to finish their degrees and stay in Wisconsin.

His rival in the Republican primary, former U.S. Rep. Mark Neumann, has made a subtle reference to Walker's lack of a degree with a feature on his website that compares his résumé with his opponents'. Neumann has a master's degree and the Democrat in the race, Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett, has a law degree.

Neumann and Barrett received A's and B's in school, according to transcripts they released at the Journal Sentinel's request.

Walker declined to release his transcripts, but his campaign said he had a grade-point average of 2.59, in the C's. He had just established status as a senior when he left after four years of mostly full-time coursework at Marquette University.Walker's supporters - and even some of his detractors - say it shouldn't matter that he didn't attain a degree.

"There are tens of thousands of people with master's degrees who don't have the common sense God gave a rabbit," said state Sen. Glenn Grothman (R-West Bend), who has a law degree from the University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Read more from Journal Sentinel: Election 2010 - Is finishing college an issue in governor's race?
Follow us: @JournalSentinel on Twitter

Might not play in Peoria...maybe so, maybe no.

A college degree is not a measure of intelligence or capability

Just out of curiosity...what credence (if any) do you give to a college degree holder? All things being equal, if your daughter brought home a young man as a suitor to meet you, would having a college degree be better or worse in terms of how you thought about him?

I wouldn't care

I didn't graduate from high school. I started working flipping houses and buying income properties when I was young.

I know people who never went to college that are orders of magnitude more intelligent than any college grad I have ever met.

In short I would get to know the guy first.

Forum List

Back