No They Can't - Stossel Is The Greatest

:lol:

Companies are making record profits now and unemployment is slowly ticking downward. Were congress to get up off their asses and incentivize domestic hiring through the tax code..the economy would be picking up at a faster pass. You would also see solid and sustained growth..not the vaporware of the Bush economy.

Incentivise hiring?

You mean like tax breaks for "THE RICH" aka employers that make new hires?

Except that private businesses can't take more and more of our money under the threat of incarceration to endlessly fund their incompetence but the government can and does

No, they just buy politicians to get themselves tax breaks that you and I pay for.

Again, I'm all for smaller and more efficient government. But you try to cut anything, people scream.

[Wonderful counter-point.

It's not so much a counter as it is ONE of the ways things break down. To think business and government are separate is silly. And in today's world, the government makes it very difficult to compete with established businesses. And Established businesses have it in their strategies to make sure those advantages don't go away. And they get fat and sloppy. Of course, the whole GM bail out thing does not hurt their case at all.

[The right wing doesn't understand that concept at all.

And how is that ? Some in the right are just as blind as those on the left when it comes to he bed partnering of business and government. It isn't unique to any one side.

[Since their god ronnie came out with the mantra that government is the problem, they worships his on high. It's absolutely incredible how brainwashed they are over the idea.

I am sure you will have a good time refuting Stossels presentation. Otherwise, Ronnie was right and you are a pissant.

[Surely one day they will understand that those with money buy all the regulations and the politicians who make their life wonderful for them. It also makes them able to funnel the money their direction.

Yes....just look at G.E. and Solyndra (what happens if it does not go bankrupt ?). As was pointed out in the show, the government picks the winners and losers. If that game is acceptable to you, then you belong on the other side of the pond.

This show was great !!!!

Once again Stossel knocks it out of the park.

NO, THEY CAN'T! Why Government Fails, but Individuals Succeed (also the title of my new book) airs tonight on Fox News.

Politicians say "Yes, we can!" and claim they solve our problems.

When the mortgage market crashed, the President said their new law, Dodd-Frank, would create a "new financial system" so such things would never happen again.

After 9/11, Senator Tom Daschle declared "you can't professionalize if you don't federalize!" The Senate voted 100-0 to create the TSA to run airport security.

Politicians' promises are endless. They say they'll: create jobs, "make college affordable for all," protect the disabled, give disadvantaged kids a head start, and invest in "cutting edge innovation."

But they can't achieve what they promise.

•Billionaire Mark Cuban and other job-creators explain why government's rules now prevent the job creation that was once America's hallmark.

•Dodd-Frank, instead of stopping fraud, added layers to already incomprehensible banking laws. Stossel shows how simple rules in the Cayman Islands not only stop fraud, but they also create prosperity.

•While the TSA creates long lines, misses actual terrorists, and angers passengers, screeners working for a private company at one big airport work faster, more cheerfully, and find more contraband. We show how the private company does it.

•Did you know that the U of Missouri is proud to have a "leisure resort" on campus? Naomi Riley, author of The Faculty Lounges: And Other Reasons Why You Won't Get the College Education You Pay For, explains how government aid led to massive tuition hikes.

•Since the Americans with Disabilities Act took effect, fewer disabled people have been able to work.

•Lisa Snell from the Reason Foundation explains how the government's own research found that Head Start did not help poor kids. Government's response? Spend even more.

Government grows, despite its repeated failure.

Politicians are wrong when they say "Yes, we can", but the fact that government can't doesn't mean that we can't. Free people accomplish wonderful things. While government wastes billions on boondoggles like Solyndra, X-prize founder Peter Diamandis explains how private investors have created cars that get 100mpg, space ships, and much faster ways to clean up oil spills, all without charging taxpayers a penny.

Without big government, life can be great.

Read more: NO, THEY CAN'T! Airs Tonight at 10pm ET on FNC - Stossel's Take Blog - Fox Business

Ah, the free market at work.

I was particularly interested to see him point out the way public money is used to turn universities into resorts to compete for attracting students. He also pointed out that the continued increase in subsidies on education have resulted in colleges raising tuition (he has clip of Biden admitting this is the case).

And when it comes to Head Start.....the democrats answer is the failed education system. A total dodge when it was pointed out that hundreds of millions of dollars have been spent on the program, but by the governments own admission, has not achieved any recognizable results.

I am going to get the book !

You point out where your small government/low taxes model actually works.

Go for it.

Because generally countries with small governments and low taxes are third world shit holes.

Yes, but they don't have the luxury of being the printer of the world's reserve currency, and a military that can annihilate everyone else in 10 minutes.

They sure hail him as the greatest ever republican in their lives and he was the worst thing to happen for the middle class.
We have seen that since his handling of many things. The only thing he was good at was giving people bullshit and they believed him.
As one old cowboy once told me...there is more bullshit inside his boots than on the outside.

He was not the ultra conservative many wish he were.

However, he was more pincipled in what he did than most.

And it wasn't only the right who loved him. Please recall that 49 states (and almost 50) voted him back into the WH. You don't get that without a lot of non-righties.

As to your old cowboy friend. Tell him he has my permission to go jump off a cliff.

Did Stossel just forget that the reason why the TSA (which is not an agency I'm fond of) was formed was because the 19 hijackers walked right past private company screeners?

Not sure what you are arguing for here.

We need screeners.

San Francisco has a private firm that runs their screening and the claim (I qualify it as such) is that it is much better than the TSA in terms of cost and the amount of stuff they catch (that is apparently based upon the testing that is done via whoever it is that audits the system.

Other airports have asked for the opportunity to go private and have been ignored or denied. The letter they showed said the reason it is that "it isn't the best interest of the Federal Government". The Pol who helped start this mess now calls it what it is and says such an attitude is nothing more than government protecting it's turf.

Stossel may not be as right as he'd like to believe in terms of the contrast....but he presented some pretty compelling information.

Okay, seriously, the one thing the corporatists have managed to do very well over the last few decades is to absolutely convince us that private enterprise is a model of efficiency while the government is a model of waste. (Except the military, of course. We never criticize the military.)

I apologize for the tangent, and I don't mean to be pedantic, but "corporatists" aren't anti-government. Corporatism is form of social organization that tends to be very much pro-government, and seeks to merge economic and state power under one umbrella. Is it possible that what you mean when you refer to "corporatists" is simply "corporations" (as in incorporated businesses)?

Last edited:
But your criticsm of EMTALA is misfounded. The alternative would be to let people die on emergency room floors because they are poor... not exactly a good idea, either.

That's a silly dichotomy. There are endless alternatives between those two extremes.

I just think it's an absolute shame that the GOP and many of its registrants can't find a way to align with the libertarians to achieve a common goal of fiscal sanity.

We're the closest thing to a political ally as you've got, and you shun us because of some stupid disagreements on social policies.

You really do deserve what you get when Romney double crosses you.

Did Stossel just forget that the reason why the TSA (which is not an agency I'm fond of) was formed was because the 19 hijackers walked right past private company screeners?

We need screeners.

San Francisco has a private firm that runs their screening and the claim (I qualify it as such) is that it is much better than the TSA in terms of cost and the amount of stuff they catch (that is apparently based upon the testing that is done via whoever it is that audits the system.

Other airports have asked for the opportunity to go private and have been ignored or denied. The letter they showed said the reason it is that "it isn't the best interest of the Federal Government". The Pol who helped start this mess now calls it what it is and says such an attitude is nothing more than government protecting it's turf.

Stossel may not be as right as he'd like to believe in terms of the contrast....but he presented some pretty compelling information.

And if they had companies with a commitment to quality, that'd be another issue.

Instead, what you had at Logan Airport was "Chuck don't give a fuck" making minimum wage who let Mohammed Atta and his boys walk right past him. And he worked for a private company.

Not a fan of the TSA. In fact, on this last trip, I insisted on driving to Cleveland instead of flying because I found the whole thing offensive. But it was shady operators who got us into this mess to start with.

I just think it's an absolute shame that the GOP and many of its registrants can't find a way to align with the libertarians to achieve a common goal of fiscal sanity.

We're the closest thing to a political ally as you've got, and you shun us because of some stupid disagreements on social policies.

You really do deserve what you get when Romney double crosses you.

Well, since Romney will never get elected, it's hardly a worry.

The GOP has bigger problems, such as they are losing the demagraphics war. More people are identifying with the Democrats than the GOP, and the GOP is losing key groups- Hispanics, Women, the Young.

We need screeners.

And if they had companies with a commitment to quality, that'd be another issue.

Instead, what you had at Logan Airport was "Chuck don't give a fuck" making minimum wage who let Mohammed Atta and his boys walk right past him. And he worked for a private company.

Not a fan of the TSA. In fact, on this last trip, I insisted on driving to Cleveland instead of flying because I found the whole thing offensive. But it was shady operators who got us into this mess to start with.

And while can't argue your statements, I question their relevence to the discussion at hand.

As a result of 9/11, we have stronger security. What was required back then apparently was not that intense.

What they showed in the segment was a very motivated group of people and someone who knows how to balance the system.

As an example, they move people around to different spots so lines don't get backed up. This takes pressure off screeners to "move them along". The TSA does not shift with the ebbs and flows of an airport. The Great Falls airport apparently gets a lot of summer travel, but the TSA does not ramp up staffing....and guess what happens.

The whole thing relates back to the fact that if you know the goals of the game, the private sector is going to do it better most of the time (if not all the time).

We need screeners.

And while can't argue your statements, I question their relevence to the discussion at hand.

As a result of 9/11, we have stronger security. What was required back then apparently was not that intense.

What they showed in the segment was a very motivated group of people and someone who knows how to balance the system.

As an example, they move people around to different spots so lines don't get backed up. This takes pressure off screeners to "move them along". The TSA does not shift with the ebbs and flows of an airport. The Great Falls airport apparently gets a lot of summer travel, but the TSA does not ramp up staffing....and guess what happens.

The whole thing relates back to the fact that if you know the goals of the game, the private sector is going to do it better most of the time (if not all the time).

I'm not sure if I want my airport security handled by a "Seasonal Temp". they barely help that much with my Christmas Shopping.

I think there are problems with the TSA. BUt the fact remains, since they've been on the job, we haven't had a repeat of 9/11. There've been problems, but on foreign flights coming into this country.

The reason liberals love complication, other than it makes them feel smarter than everyone else, is that it's harder for average people to follow, it makes us have to use more lawyers and much more likely we may break a rule and then cost us tons of money to say move a light switch down an inch because it doesnt comply with the ADA.

Simpler means less government, people have a better understanding of the law and their govenment. Lawyers arent needed as much and we dont need people doing it for us. They are threatened if the laws are simpler (which makes them smarter in most instances) and those darn unwashed people can do things on their own, the liberals are no longer the gatekeepers and they dont like that at all.

It's kinda like catholics back when they didnt want people to read the Bible and have the priest do it for them. That's liberalism.

Conservatism is putting the Bible in vernacular and letting people do it themselves.

I'm not sure if I want my airport security handled by a "Seasonal Temp". they barely help that much with my Christmas Shopping.

I think there are problems with the TSA. BUt the fact remains, since they've been on the job, we haven't had a repeat of 9/11. There've been problems, but on foreign flights coming into this country.

Boy, it is fun to read your posts.

I'd suggest you watch the segment on this, at least, before saying any more.

You simply sound silly.

In the first place, turnover in the TSA is massive...so your security is being handled, in large part, by rookies.

I gotta check this one out. Stossel has done some great shows. By far the best show on Cable News.

This show was great !!!!

Once again Stossel knocks it out of the park.

NO, THEY CAN'T! Why Government Fails, but Individuals Succeed (also the title of my new book) airs tonight on Fox News.

Politicians say "Yes, we can!" and claim they solve our problems.

When the mortgage market crashed, the President said their new law, Dodd-Frank, would create a "new financial system" so such things would never happen again.

After 9/11, Senator Tom Daschle declared "you can't professionalize if you don't federalize!" The Senate voted 100-0 to create the TSA to run airport security.

Politicians' promises are endless. They say they'll: create jobs, "make college affordable for all," protect the disabled, give disadvantaged kids a head start, and invest in "cutting edge innovation."

But they can't achieve what they promise.

•Billionaire Mark Cuban and other job-creators explain why government's rules now prevent the job creation that was once America's hallmark.

•Dodd-Frank, instead of stopping fraud, added layers to already incomprehensible banking laws. Stossel shows how simple rules in the Cayman Islands not only stop fraud, but they also create prosperity.

•While the TSA creates long lines, misses actual terrorists, and angers passengers, screeners working for a private company at one big airport work faster, more cheerfully, and find more contraband. We show how the private company does it.

•Did you know that the U of Missouri is proud to have a "leisure resort" on campus? Naomi Riley, author of The Faculty Lounges: And Other Reasons Why You Won't Get the College Education You Pay For, explains how government aid led to massive tuition hikes.

•Since the Americans with Disabilities Act took effect, fewer disabled people have been able to work.

•Lisa Snell from the Reason Foundation explains how the government's own research found that Head Start did not help poor kids. Government's response? Spend even more.

Government grows, despite its repeated failure.

Politicians are wrong when they say "Yes, we can", but the fact that government can't doesn't mean that we can't. Free people accomplish wonderful things. While government wastes billions on boondoggles like Solyndra, X-prize founder Peter Diamandis explains how private investors have created cars that get 100mpg, space ships, and much faster ways to clean up oil spills, all without charging taxpayers a penny.

Without big government, life can be great.

Read more: NO, THEY CAN'T! Airs Tonight at 10pm ET on FNC - Stossel's Take Blog - Fox Business

Ah, the free market at work.

I was particularly interested to see him point out the way public money is used to turn universities into resorts to compete for attracting students. He also pointed out that the continued increase in subsidies on education have resulted in colleges raising tuition (he has clip of Biden admitting this is the case).

And when it comes to Head Start.....the democrats answer is the failed education system. A total dodge when it was pointed out that hundreds of millions of dollars have been spent on the program, but by the governments own admission, has not achieved any recognizable results.

I am going to get the book !

The segment about lawyers suing small businesses for totally bogus reason of not being accessible to handicapped was pretty appalling.

The cost of college education tied to government subsodies as well.

All of these programs that liberals support are just money laundering schemes and should be done away with.

Stossel takes on Head Start.

Well, sort of....because Head Start would not come on air.

The governments own findings show that after the 1st grade....there is no difference.

So who comes to it's rescue....a Minnisota democrat.....

When asked about the lack of progress, he responds, well that is just the failure of our education system.

ROTFLMAO

He must think it's pretty bad if he thinks we'll accept his premise.

Time to make parents accountable.

Stossel takes on Head Start.

Well, sort of....because Head Start would not come on air.

The governments own findings show that after the 1st grade....there is no difference.

So who comes to it's rescue....a Minnisota democrat.....

When asked about the lack of progress, he responds, well that is just the failure of our education system.

ROTFLMAO

He must think it's pretty bad if he thinks we'll accept his premise.

Time to make parents accountable.

Wow, who is in charge of the education system again?......libtards are so gullible, just put a D by someone and they vote for them no matter what, they never ask for results.

Boy, it is fun to read your posts.

I'd suggest you watch the segment on this, at least, before saying any more.

You simply sound silly.

In the first place, turnover in the TSA is massive...so your security is being handled, in large part, by rookies.

Guy, you made a comment that the TSA was worse than private firms.

But you know what, private firms let 9/11 happen. The TSA hasn't had an incident on their watch. Yup, they are brutish and unpleasant to deal with, but they are getting the job done.

But there is some Republican thing which is just horrified of the notion of a working man getting a fair wage, I guess.

Forum List

Back