No They Can't - Stossel Is The Greatest

This show was great !!!!

Once again Stossel knocks it out of the park.

NO, THEY CAN'T! Why Government Fails, but Individuals Succeed (also the title of my new book) airs tonight on Fox News.

Politicians say "Yes, we can!" and claim they solve our problems.

When the mortgage market crashed, the President said their new law, Dodd-Frank, would create a "new financial system" so such things would never happen again.

After 9/11, Senator Tom Daschle declared "you can't professionalize if you don't federalize!" The Senate voted 100-0 to create the TSA to run airport security.

Politicians' promises are endless. They say they'll: create jobs, "make college affordable for all," protect the disabled, give disadvantaged kids a head start, and invest in "cutting edge innovation."

But they can't achieve what they promise.

•Billionaire Mark Cuban and other job-creators explain why government's rules now prevent the job creation that was once America's hallmark.

•Dodd-Frank, instead of stopping fraud, added layers to already incomprehensible banking laws. Stossel shows how simple rules in the Cayman Islands not only stop fraud, but they also create prosperity.

•While the TSA creates long lines, misses actual terrorists, and angers passengers, screeners working for a private company at one big airport work faster, more cheerfully, and find more contraband. We show how the private company does it.

•Did you know that the U of Missouri is proud to have a "leisure resort" on campus? Naomi Riley, author of The Faculty Lounges: And Other Reasons Why You Won't Get the College Education You Pay For, explains how government aid led to massive tuition hikes.

•Since the Americans with Disabilities Act took effect, fewer disabled people have been able to work.

•Lisa Snell from the Reason Foundation explains how the government's own research found that Head Start did not help poor kids. Government's response? Spend even more.

Government grows, despite its repeated failure.

Politicians are wrong when they say "Yes, we can", but the fact that government can't doesn't mean that we can't. Free people accomplish wonderful things. While government wastes billions on boondoggles like Solyndra, X-prize founder Peter Diamandis explains how private investors have created cars that get 100mpg, space ships, and much faster ways to clean up oil spills, all without charging taxpayers a penny.

Without big government, life can be great.

Read more: NO, THEY CAN'T! Airs Tonight at 10pm ET on FNC - Stossel's Take Blog - Fox Business

Ah, the free market at work.

I was particularly interested to see him point out the way public money is used to turn universities into resorts to compete for attracting students. He also pointed out that the continued increase in subsidies on education have resulted in colleges raising tuition (he has clip of Biden admitting this is the case).

And when it comes to Head Start.....the democrats answer is the failed education system. A total dodge when it was pointed out that hundreds of millions of dollars have been spent on the program, but by the governments own admission, has not achieved any recognizable results.

I am going to get the book !

I am not familiar with the book.
But I have seen Stossel on with O'Reilly before and he usually has some very interesting
things to say.The sad thing is we are only aware of just a few things that government
screws up.The layers and layers of regulations and bureaucracy will blow our minds.
And the answer for everything from the Democrats is spend more and make government bigger.Sounds like a book we must read.

In light of the "you didn't build that" controversy, I thought I bring back some examples of how the government did build things...that cost to much or flat assed didn't work.

I've never found this line of argument very relevant. That's not because the points made aren't compelling - examples of the inherent inefficiencies of using government to perform functions it shouldn't abound. But to me, it's just not the point.

Even if someone could prove the opposite, could show that giving government authority over all our important life-decisions would maximize efficiency, safety and happiness in society, I'd still be vehemently opposed. It's just not the kind of world I want to live in, and not the kind of life I want to live.

You are correct.

This was my argument against fighting ACA on a cost basis.

Even if it could make things cheaper....I still don't want it from the government.

Long term, it's always been a bad deal.

But, I think people should be aware of the kind of economic impact government programs have had on people.

His piece on government student loads is great. He has people who say they can show you just how the availability of those loans is directly linked to the increased cost of school tuition. That is something to think about.

Government student loans sound great. And like a good thing....but they can actually cut people out of going to school if they can't qualify for the loans.

I enjoyed this:

Since progressives want government to run health care, let's look at what government management did to K-12 education. While most every other service in life has gotten better and cheaper, American education remains stagnant.
Spending has tripled! Why no improvement? Because K-12 education is a virtual government monopoly -- and monopolies don't improve.

In every other sector of the economy, market competition forces providers to improve constantly. It's why most things get better -- often cheaper, too (except when government interferes, as in health care).

Politicians claim that education and health care are different -- too important to leave to market competition. Patients and parents aren't real consumers because they don't have the expertise to know which hospital or school is best. That's why they must be centrally planned by government "experts."

Those experts have been in charge for years. School reformers call them the "Blob." Jeanne Allen of the Center for Education Reform says that attempts to improve the government monopoly have run "smack into federations, alliances, departments, councils, boards, commissions, panels, herds, flocks and convoys that make up the education industrial complex, or the Blob. Taken individually, they were frustrating enough, each with its own bureaucracy, but taken as a whole they were (and are) maddening in their resistance to change. Not really a wall -- they always talk about change -- but more like quicksand, or a tar pit where ideas slowly sink."

The Education Blob - John Stossel - Page 1

**Hysterically...

Who remembers that Stossel is a Libertarian and used to work for NBC?

I've always loved Stossel even as a small child.

While I was looking at how many threads Dottie.Com has started (quite at something like 400), I looked at how many I've started.

Not as many as Dottie..they should put a quota on his sorry ass.

Anyway I came across this one.

Thought I'd pull it forward.

Dodd-Frank, instead of stopping fraud, added layers to already incomprehensible banking laws. Stossel shows how simple rules in the Cayman Islands not only stop fraud, but they also create prosperity.

Ah, Thanks John.

You are the greatest.

Dodd can kiss my ass.

I still remember when Stossel got the crap beaten out of him by a professional wrestler..

WRESTLING IS FAKE (watch before commenting) - YouTube

Maybe they needed to check him for brain damage.

Okay, seriously, the one thing the corporatists have managed to do very well over the last few decades is to absolutely convince us that private enterprise is a model of efficiency while the government is a model of waste. (Except the military, of course. We never criticize the military.)

In fact, the gulf isn't that wide. There's a lot of ineptitude in business, and a lot of efficiency in government.

Except that private businesses can't take more and more of our money under the threat of incarceration to endlessly fund their incompetence but the government can and does

That hasn't stopped.

And it cost the democrapers 9 seats in the senate.

Can't wait until 2016. Harry Reid is running again. Easy kill for the GOP.

I still remember when Stossel got the crap beaten out of him by a professional wrestler..

Okay, seriously, the one thing the corporatists have managed to do very well over the last few decades is to absolutely convince us that private enterprise is a model of efficiency while the government is a model of waste. (Except the military, of course. We never criticize the military.)

In fact, the gulf isn't that wide. There's a lot of ineptitude in business, and a lot of efficiency in government.

Except that private businesses can't take more and more of our money under the threat of incarceration to endlessly fund their incompetence but the government can and does

That hasn't stopped.

Will you really leave then lol?

That hasn't stopped.

Will you move to Cuba where you belong ?

That hasn't stopped.

I belong here, thanks, undoing Pub and hater dupe damage. Why don't you move to Russia? lol. Brilliant, typical dupes' stupid insults.

That hasn't stopped.

I belong here, thanks, undoing Pub and hater dupe damage. Why don't you move to Russia? lol. Brilliant, typical dupes' stupid insults.

You laugh at your own shit a lot.

I am sure you are where you belong...in an institution. Prison, or an asylum.

That hasn't stopped.

You laugh at your own shit a lot.
I am sure you are where you belong...in an institution. Prison, or an asylum.
I'm not an angry white hater dupe if that's what you mean....

This show was great !!!!

[ame=[MEDIA=youtube]zrX9Ca7LSyQ[/MEDIA] IS FAKE (watch before commenting) - YouTube[/ame]

HOME RUN!!!!!

Get it? "knocked it out of the park".............................HOME RUN!!!!

Nicely done, Shaman. Nicely done.

At least Lone Laugher has an attractive USMB portrait. I won't be so unwelcoming towards him now.

Stossel is great, the only person worth watching on Fox.
Stossel knows where the easy money is. Bucking up the dupes...common sense my ass...

How about actually looking up some info on what and how it's working in the Cayman Islands and why the Frank Dodd bill isn't?
Education & knowledge is your friend most congress critters aren't. Doesn't matter which party it is.

Stossel is great, the only person worth watching on Fox.
Stossel knows where the easy money is. Bucking up the dupes...common sense my ass...

How about actually looking up some info on what and how it's working in the Cayman Islands and why the Frank Dodd bill isn't?
Education & knowledge is your friend most congress critters aren't. Doesn't matter which party it is.

Education and knowledge are four letter words to Frankie.

That hasn't stopped.

The GOP is going to lose the Senate in 2016. The map favors Democrats in a mirror image of how the map favored Republicans in 2014.

This show was great !!!!

[ame=[MEDIA=youtube]zrX9Ca7LSyQ[/MEDIA] IS FAKE (watch before commenting) - YouTube[/ame]

HOME RUN!!!!!

Get it? "knocked it out of the park".............................HOME RUN!!!!

Nicely done, Shaman. Nicely done.

At least Lone Laugher has an attractive USMB portrait. I won't be so unwelcoming towards him now.

I love how leftwingers don't have a problem with someone they don't like having permanent damage done to their hearing.

Maybe I could say they value bullies when it suites their needs.

Hypocrites.

There is a reason the term "Lone" is in her name.

Forum List

Back