No Dumb Questions (E-bike)

I have seen a guy around Sanders, AZ riding a electric unicycle. This is a rural area. Most roads are dirt. Anyway, I have only seen him on the paved roads. It looks like this thing probably has a steep learning curve, and requires the rider to be physically fit.
I have been behind him where the speed limit is 35mph and he goes about 25-27mph. Then he gets to the grocery store and folds this thing up into a briefcase type unit. Takes it in with him.
Anyone know anything about these type vehicles?
I talked to a Sheriff's deputy stationed up there, whom I know and talk to whenever I see him. He said he doesn't know if this thing is legal to ride on the road, but doesn't see any reason to bother the guy. He noted that he expects to have to call the coroner if the guy wrecks....

I have seen a guy around Sanders, AZ riding a electric unicycle. This is a rural area. Most roads are dirt. Anyway, I have only seen him on the paved roads. It looks like this thing probably has a steep learning curve, and requires the rider to be physically fit.
I have been behind him where the speed limit is 35mph and he goes about 25-27mph. Then he gets to the grocery store and folds this thing up into a briefcase type unit. Takes it in with him.
Anyone know anything about these type vehicles?
I talked to a Sheriff's deputy stationed up there, whom I know and talk to whenever I see him. He said he doesn't know if this thing is legal to ride on the road, but doesn't see any reason to bother the guy. He noted that he expects to have to call the coroner if the guy wrecks....
Gyropods are about the most ridiculous of electric vehicles, followed closely by kick-scooters with motors. Poor braking, poor center of gravity, near zero exercise.

This guy has a unicycle. One wheel. When I googled "gyropod, it defines it as a two-wheeler vehicle.
OK; guess I used the wrong term; thought it was correct. Anyway, the single wheel is straddled. There is no seat as on a usual unicycle.

OK; guess I used the wrong term; thought it was correct. Anyway, the single wheel is straddled. There is no seat as on a usual unicycle.
Yeah. That's the one. And it has a little keyboard looking thing that the guy controls it with. It looks like it would take some muscle, balance and coordination to just get started. Then if an elk jumps out in front of you....well, let's not think about that.

There is an axiom that is often repeated that is totally false. The axiom is, "There are no dumb questions." To wit,

The first question that anyone is asked about their E-bike is, "What is its range?" or something of the same import. That is a dumb question.

The question has no answer. It all depends on how you use the motor. You can run the motor down in ten miles or you can ride for four hours (i.e., 40 miles or more) with charge left in the battery; it all depends on how you use the motor.

I don't use the motor at all when riding on level pavement or (obviously) when going down a grade. If it is a slight grade I will try to pull it myself, and only use the motor (Pedal Assist) when I can't maintain the speed I like. I typically ride for two hours (20 miles or so), and rarely use a single block of charge on the indicator. I know people who constantly ride at, say, PA2, pedaling along just to supplement the motor and get the illusion of exercise. I have no idea how long their battery charge will last.

If you are contemplating buying an E-bike and wonder about the range, you need to re-think why you are buying an E-bike. Do you want a bike that will take you on a long ride, a bike that will go very fast, or do you want to ride a bike and have a little bit of backup power when needed? You can save a lot of money if it's the last one. Any E-bike will do that.
You should use more power for one reason only, because you can travel a further distance and see more things in the same 2 hour time period if you are moving faster. It makes it a more interesting ride. The amount of pedal assist that you have on is irrelevant, its simply a matter of how hard you pedal that determines how much exercise you get on an e-bike.

I get a lot of exercise on mine and can get errands done quickly, and living among some steep hills make power assist very handy. I use the pedals, and only need to charge the battery about once a week. I expected to have to do that a lot more and am pleasantly surprised. I use it for garage saling as well on weekends. It handles well in rain as well. Brakes squeak a little when wet, but they're hydraulics, so still pretty safe. I'm looking at trailers or building one soon, since I'm a lot more comfortable and stable on it now after a few hundred miles and not killing myself with the power assist like I was when I got it. My reflexes are better.

e bikes are damn heavy..and many trails do not allow them..at 70 i am starting to think one might now be a bad idea for me...i have noticed doing the 17 mile downhill creeper trail in va...the last 3 miles are killing me..they are nearly level
I had to stop riding completely. I'm in the mountains so there really is no place level for more than a 100 yards or so. I'm 10 years older than you, and I just can't fall off of a bike any more!

Too much risk.

I had to stop riding completely. I'm in the mountains so there really is no place level for more than a 100 yards or so. I'm 10 years older than you, and I just can't fall off of a bike any more!

Too much risk.
Ever considered an electric assist tadpole trike? Stable and still fun.

Forum List

Back