In retrospect on the Keyes bridge disaster

justoffal

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2013
So after doing some reading for a few days on this port, it's traffic and the proximity of the bridge I have to say that I'm dumbfounded by the laxness of the navigation standards used. This thing was pretty much inevitable.

The freighters in question here are ultra massive structures that range from 100 thousand to as much as 200 thousand tons of floating force. To put this in perspective a Nimitz class aircraft carrier weighs about 120, 000 tons. We're talking major inertia here. You don't just put on the brakes and come to a screeching halt.

I'm not sure what the configuration of the Dhali's power train is ... It might be direct drive or it might be diesel to generator to DC motor. The latter being the more popular design today. There's a lot of maintenance in any of these systems and even with the maintenance no one can predict when a failure will happen. Having said that I find it almost inexcusable that such a huge vessel, a veritable floating juggernaut... is not strictly attended by at least two heavy tugs (probably more ) when it is passing close to bridge structures in a bay.

When you're dealing with that kind of power and weight not having a plan b is just plain stupid.

Last edited:
So after doing some reading for a few days on this port, it's traffic and the proximity of the bridge I have to say that I'm dumbfounded by the laxness of the navigation standards used. This thing was pretty much inevitable.

The freighters in question here are ultra massive structures that range from 100 thousand to as much as 200 thousand tons of floating force. To put this in perspective a Nimitz class aircraft carrier weighs about 120, 000 tons. We're talking major inertia here. You don't just put on the brakes and come to a screeching halt.

I'm not sure what the configuration of the Dhali's power train is ... It might be direct drive or it might be diesel to generator to DC motor. The latter being the more popular design today. There's a lot of maintenance in any of these systems and even with the maintenance no one can predict when a failure will happen. Having said that I find it almost inexcusable that's such a huge vessel, a veritable floating juggernaut... is not strictly attended by at least two heavy tugs (probably more ) when it is passing close to bridge structures in a bay.

When you're dealing with that kind of power and weight not having a plan b is just plain stupid.
Capitalism couldn’t possibly bear the costs.

Which is why they push that cost on government and bitch about regulations.

Right

Id say Tugs assisting there will be a new standard. They could have prevented this.

Maybe they have a limited backup power source but also disabled externally during Electronic hacking? Bridge open since 1977 and this is the first incident? Good hackers got it timed just right. I don’t know? GOVT creating crisis again? It is election time.

Maybe they have a limited backup power source but also disabled externally during Electronic hacking? Bridge open since 1977 and this is the first incident? Good hackers got it timed just right. I don’t know? GOVT creating crisis again? It is election time.
I suspect Jewish Space Lasers

1711807222290.jpeg

So, those basturd nerd hackers from Revenge of the Nerds.

The original plan was for a tunnel instead of a bridge.

They decided that cost too much, so they went with the cheapest possible bridge instead. Not even any protection for the bridge piers.

The original plan was for a tunnel instead of a bridge.

They decided that cost too much, so they went with the cheapest possible bridge instead. Not even any protection for the bridge piers.
Rediculous....like trying to move a ramen noodle packet with a truck tire.

I'm not sure what the configuration of the Dhali's power train is ... It might be direct drive or it might be diesel to generator to DC motor. The latter being the more popular design today. There's a lot of maintenance in any of these systems and even with the maintenance no one can predict when a failure will happen. Having said that I find it almost inexcusable that such a huge vessel, a veritable floating juggernaut... is not strictly attended by at least two heavy tugs (probably more ) when it is passing close to bridge structures in a bay.

A brilliant False Flag and they were warned about this technology at least six years. ago .

Losing power AFTER docked for some time? On the way out, not the way in? Don’t they do preventative maintenance when stopped? Lots of loose ends here.

Losing power AFTER docked for some time? On the way out, not the way in? Don’t they do preventative maintenance when stopped? Lots of loose ends here.
Id guess they went to Shore Power temp and shut down the engines while docked. Started up and left.

the size of these ships has outstripped the channels. tugs and pilot are required in most ports, including baltimore.

Forum List

Back