Got an Electric bike

DudleySmith

Diamond Member
Dec 21, 2020
... and just took my first ride. I live in a hilly area, and I did 30 miles without having to get past 'Pedal Assist 2', and didn't even budge the juice in the battery. Pretty cool, and extremely useful on steep hills. Was surprisingly easy to pedal, considering the weight and the fat tires. I'm hooked. I'm still wobbly on it, haven't ridden a bike in decades, but I managed to not wreck it and kill myself. Not yet anyway lol.

I can see getting killed on the thing at the higher speeds, but I took the steepest hill around here, a long pull then a really steep incline at the end for about a mile and it did fine at 'pedal Assist 2'; it goes up to 7, which I will probably never even try. 500 Watt motor, Samsung made 48 V battery. Will carry over 400#, and you can make or buy cargo trailers for them.

Only odd thing I had to get used to was the front basket not turning when I turned the front wheel, lol; very distracting at first.

I guess they are great on hills but how about the rest of the time?

I have an expensive bike and weight and tires rolling resistance are critical in normal riding. How does it ride under normal conditions?

Seems like the weight and fat tires would slow you down

I guess they are great on hills but how about the rest of the time?

I have an expensive bike and weight and tires rolling resistance are critical in normal riding. How does it ride under normal conditions?

Seems like the weight and fat tires would slow you down

It isn't an old style English racer you pick up with a pinky finger, for sure. It did peddle a lot easier than I expected; it's an 8 speed, so it can get as easy as you want it. I had peddle assist turned off most of the time, since hills go down as well as up, lol. Level ground was fine. At 65# I can still pick it up pretty easily. When I get my legs built back up I probably won't use the PA at all, so kind of a loss there, but then I wouldn't have a bike at all around here without the motor assistance while getting back in shape. The fat tires mean I can get around my property better as well on the trails.

... and just took my first ride. I live in a hilly area, and I did 30 miles without having to get past 'Pedal Assist 2', and didn't even budge the juice in the battery. Pretty cool, and extremely useful on steep hills. Was surprisingly easy to pedal, considering the weight and the fat tires. I'm hooked. I'm still wobbly on it, haven't ridden a bike in decades, but I managed to not wreck it and kill myself. Not yet anyway lol.

I can see getting killed on the thing at the higher speeds, but I took the steepest hill around here, a long pull then a really steep incline at the end for about a mile and it did fine at 'pedal Assist 2'; it goes up to 7, which I will probably never even try. 500 Watt motor, Samsung made 48 V battery. Will carry over 400#, and you can make or buy cargo trailers for them.

Only odd thing I had to get used to was the front basket not turning when I turned the front wheel, lol; very distracting at first.

We have looked at getting two e-bikes for when we travel in the camper.

I have the same bike (or one just like it). The one thing to be careful of is that it starts in PA1, so AS SOON AS YOU START TO PEDAL, the bike wants to go ten miles per hour. If you are not ready for it, it can lead to a spill in your garage or wherever. The first thing I do when I turn it on is to reduce the PA to zero, then I turn on the lights.

Good choice. I have about 3,000 miles on mine and I love it.

I have the same bike (or one just like it). The one thing to be careful of is that it starts in PA1, so AS SOON AS YOU START TO PEDAL, the bike wants to go ten miles per hour. If you are not ready for it, it can lead to a spill in your garage or wherever. The first thing I do when I turn it on is to reduce the PA to zero, then I turn on the lights.

I wanted to get a bigger bike, the Velotric Packer 1, but they didn't have it in stock, and I didn't want to wait, so I got the smaller model, plus I would have had to build my own carry rack for the longer model. I can just buy an after market cargo trailer or build one to make up the difference as will as the price difference. I can't wait to see how much crap I can haul home with it from garage sales and Lowes now, lol. I got the two baskets and a pair of saddle bags, and will go grocery shopping tomorrow, to see how it handles with more weight on it.

We have looked at getting two e-bikes for when we travel in the camper.

Well, I'm no expert, but I didn't see a lot of difference in quality based on just price alone, so don't be afraid to check out the cheaper models. Don't know where you camp but you might need the mountain bike models, I'm guessing. The bigger tires are a must have for me personally, street or trail. This is my 'starter bike', so I will no doubt upgrade after this and give this one to one of the neighbor kids or something in a year or so.

Last edited:
My question would be
Why are you riding a bike?

For exercise or to get from Point A to Point B?

If it is exercise, wouldn’t a traditional bike be better?
If it is to get around, why not just ride an electric scooter?

When I’m feeling green I choose a Honda gasoline motorbike that gets 150 miles to the gallon and isnt a traffic hazzard

My question would be
Why are you riding a bike?

For exercise or to get from Point A to Point B?

If it is exercise, wouldn’t a traditional bike be better?
If it is to get around, why not just ride an electric scooter?

Why not have one that is both? What kind of 'scooter'? I plan on using mine to run store errands and carry stuff on. The cargo bikes are more versatile , and they're easy to add homemade stuff to and modify with the open frames. I made my 'saddle bags' from two Aldi's insulated tote bags, and reinforced the bottoms and straps to fit on my rear basket. They hold quite a bit, and cost about $6 apiece when I bought them, versus $100 plus for the 'accessories' bags they sell for bikes that don't carry a quarter as much.

Last edited:
When I’m feeling green I choose a Honda gasoline motorbike that gets 150 miles to the gallon and isnt a traffic hazzard

A local guy here has one, a bicycle frame with a small gas motor and half gallon fuel tank. I've clocked him at 35-40 mph. Don't know where he got it or if he made it himself. I'm seeing a lot more 'alternative transportation' around here among the teens, as we go to a Third Wold economy for our young people.

Norton 850 Commando gets 35 mph and IS a traffic hazard ... or more of a death trap ...

The bike isn't all that dangerous ... it's all the idiots driving cars ... worst (non-hot-rodding) mischief I've ever had was laying the fool thing down ... same with sailing ... just pull it back up and away we go ... rolling up on someone's hood happens, and just a stupid driver not looking where they're going ... slow down in the marina area please, my boat should be safe in two feet of water ...

Now I remember your OP from a year or so ago. Yes, the longer bikes are an issue for carrying racks.

I don't turn the PA on at all until I'm up and moving down the road.

A local guy here has one, a bicycle frame with a small gas motor and half gallon fuel tank. I've clocked him at 35-40 mph. Don't know where he got it or if he made it himself. I'm seeing a lot more 'alternative transportation' around here among the teens, as we go to a Third Wold economy for our young people.
I was referring to bikes like the Honda Super Cub or CT 125 trail

Those are real motorcycles weighing 240 to 260 lbs and top out in the mid 50’s

Norton 850 Commando gets 35 mph and IS a traffic hazard ... or more of a death trap ...

The bike isn't all that dangerous ... it's all the idiots driving cars ... worst (non-hot-rodding) mischief I've ever had was laying the fool thing down ... same with sailing ... just pull it back up and away we go ... rolling up on someone's hood happens, and just a stupid driver not looking where they're going ... slow down in the marina area please, my boat should be safe in two feet of water ...
A bicycle is annoying because it impedes traffic

That does not excuse running over them but auto drivers get impatient and make miststakes

A bicycle is annoying because it impedes traffic

That does not excuse running over them but auto drivers get impatient and make miststakes

Where this works best is where there's far fewer cars ... 90% fewer in fact ... EVs are part of the problem ... [giggle] ...

When I did ride a bike, I stayed away from traffic, one block over is the residential street with a speed limit of 25 mph ... I could pedal that fast and ... well ... er ... it's called a "California Rolling Stop" and it's not necessarily lawful ... plus I'm up on the sidewalks and using the crosswalks liberally ...

10 miles in 30 minutes ... almost as fast as driving a lil' EV pod rig ... the peanut butter, jelly and bread were all made of carbon dioxide, so I was just returning that to the environment and being a good steward to the Earth ... but I've learned my lesson since then ... it takes a half-ton pickup minimum to exploit nature for profit ...

Invest in a fire extinguisher and don't keep it in the house.

Where this works best is where there's far fewer cars ... 90% fewer in fact ... EVs are part of the problem ... [giggle] ...

When I did ride a bike, I stayed away from traffic, one block over is the residential street with a speed limit of 25 mph ... I could pedal that fast and ... well ... er ... it's called a "California Rolling Stop" and it's not necessarily lawful ... plus I'm up on the sidewalks and using the crosswalks liberally ...

10 miles in 30 minutes ... almost as fast as driving a lil' EV pod rig ... the peanut butter, jelly and bread were all made of carbon dioxide, so I was just returning that to the environment and being a good steward to the Earth ... but I've learned my lesson since then ... it takes a half-ton pickup minimum to exploit nature for profit ...
I remember a cartoon I saw decades ago

There was a guy in a convertible on a california freeway and he was offering a ride to a hobo

The guy walking declines saying “No thanks, I’m in s hurry”

Sometimes alternative transportation is not always a bad idea

Invest in a fire extinguisher and don't keep it in the house.

Yes. One reason I got the Samsung battery. I have a fireproof tub to charge it in, they told me not use an extensions cord but I use the ones Lowes carries that are supposedly rated at 14 amps. Not sure what the charger I got pulls so don't know if they meant the commercial grade cords or the cheap crappy thin ones for home use or not. When I have to charge it I will look into that more thoroughly. I have an outside electrical outlet on the front porch, but none in the back. I also have an old stone fireplace in a room we never use any more except for storage.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back