No Dumb Questions (E-bike)

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
There is an axiom that is often repeated that is totally false. The axiom is, "There are no dumb questions." To wit,

The first question that anyone is asked about their E-bike is, "What is its range?" or something of the same import. That is a dumb question.

The question has no answer. It all depends on how you use the motor. You can run the motor down in ten miles or you can ride for four hours (i.e., 40 miles or more) with charge left in the battery; it all depends on how you use the motor.

I don't use the motor at all when riding on level pavement or (obviously) when going down a grade. If it is a slight grade I will try to pull it myself, and only use the motor (Pedal Assist) when I can't maintain the speed I like. I typically ride for two hours (20 miles or so), and rarely use a single block of charge on the indicator. I know people who constantly ride at, say, PA2, pedaling along just to supplement the motor and get the illusion of exercise. I have no idea how long their battery charge will last.

If you are contemplating buying an E-bike and wonder about the range, you need to re-think why you are buying an E-bike. Do you want a bike that will take you on a long ride, a bike that will go very fast, or do you want to ride a bike and have a little bit of backup power when needed? You can save a lot of money if it's the last one. Any E-bike will do that.

There is an axiom that is often repeated that is totally false. The axiom is, "There are no dumb questions." To wit,

The first question that anyone is asked about their E-bike is, "What is its range?" or something of the same import. That is a dumb question.

The question has no answer. It all depends on how you use the motor. You can run the motor down in ten miles or you can ride for four hours (i.e., 40 miles or more) with charge left in the battery; it all depends on how you use the motor.

I don't use the motor at all when riding on level pavement or (obviously) when going down a grade. If it is a slight grade I will try to pull it myself, and only use the motor (Pedal Assist) when I can't maintain the speed I like. I typically ride for two hours (20 miles or so), and rarely use a single block of charge on the indicator. I know people who constantly ride at, say, PA2, pedaling along just to supplement the motor and get the illusion of exercise. I have no idea how long their battery charge will last.

If you are contemplating buying an E-bike and wonder about the range, you need to re-think why you are buying an E-bike. Do you want a bike that will take you on a long ride, a bike that will go very fast, or do you want to ride a bike and have a little bit of backup power when needed? You can save a lot of money if it's the last one. Any E-bike will do that.
Yes, battery capacity is the key question, but the weight of the bike is also a big factor.
There's still some searching going on by the manufacturers for the preferences of the market. I doubt it will settle on the super heavies.

I love mine. There's only been one time that I had to turn around and head for home or I would be stuck having to pedal an 80lb bike.

My only question is….why?

If you are riding a bicycle for exercise, why not buy a regular bicycle ?
If you are riding to get from point A to point B, why not just buy a motorbike or scooter?

What will be great is when battery technology advances, as well as gearing to compliment that, and E bikes weigh little more than their aluminum counterparts. The difference in weight between my aluminum Cervelo and my fully carbon fiber Cervelo is basically negligible to me, I'm not out racing either one. When you can make the weight of an ?E bike similarly negligible, then basically everyone will be riding them. For now I prefer to pedal, but there are always hills that make me regret this, These hills stress my endurance and breathing to their maximum some times, but that is ultimately the point of riding.

I would think a lot would depend on the weight of the rider.

OIP.7_8ON-S5oW49tM4sqI0djQAAAA

I don't peddle on my big heavy 3 wheeler. I can no longer ride a 2 wheeler. But I get about a mile per amp out of a 48V system (56V). I usually use a 25 Amp battery and get 25 mile range out of it. But the bike has more range than I have. Trying to sit on a bike for 25 miles nonstop is more an adventure than just a bike ride. Both the bike and I are extremely heavy. The Bike weighs over 100 lbs and I weigh in excess of 250lbs.

But let's face it, the same motor and battery on a light 2 wheeler with a 150lb rider might be able to break the 35 mile range. But in all honestly, one of that weight would probably save money and elect a lower powered motor and less amps on the better to get them 20 to 25 miles.

Another factor is the terrain. Around here, it seems everything is up. At least that's how it seems when you are trying to do battery management. When the Bike and Motor Companies do their test, it's on a banked oval cement track that is level. Life just isn't so gentle. We go from miles of gentle up hills to extreme 8% grade roads that both will kill a battery fast. The good news is, for every up, there is also a down where you are either using less power or you are coasting using zero power. But forget about gaining power back by coasting or peddling. About the most you are going to get out of that is about 3% return. Bikes are too light to depend on regeneration.

So, the range differs for all riders. And it differs for all rides. But if you are going to just go to the grocery store, it's costs you a nickel on your ebike and you arrive without sweating all over your groceries. And the other people in line will be grateful.

There's hills everywhere. Iowa has beautiful hills near the Mississippi, you'd never guess you were in Iowa. Go for a bike ride in Dubuque to test your ability. Maybe Florida doesn't have hills.
Yeah, that was my point, it was a joke. LOL

There are as many reasons for electric assist bicycles as there are riders. It isn't the same context as ten or twenty years ago. It is fun to have an all muscle-powered machine just for the lightness and exercise. It is fun to have assistance so that there are no concerns of getting home comfortably no matter how far away you find yourself. It is great to have a motor for the daily routine of getting back and forth to work. Shopping is improved by a bike with assistance. Transporting kids is easier. Bicycles have a very important place in the total "EV" picture, and those still too fascinated by 'cars' don't see it. The market does.

e bikes are damn heavy..and many trails do not allow them..at 70 i am starting to think one might now be a bad idea for me...i have noticed doing the 17 mile downhill creeper trail in va...the last 3 miles are killing me..they are nearly level

e bikes are damn heavy..and many trails do not allow them..at 70 i am starting to think one might now be a bad idea for me...i have noticed doing the 17 mile downhill creeper trail in va...the last 3 miles are killing me..they are nearly level
The bikes I have have all been modified by me as I know what I want and how to arrange it. The ebikes we have I put together myself, except for one. With a few years more than you, I find it quite nice for certain rides to have that motor and battery to take up the less fun parts.

The bikes I have have all been modified by me as I know what I want and how to arrange it. The ebikes we have I put together myself, except for one. With a few years more than you, I find it quite nice for certain rides to have that motor and battery to take up the less fun parts.
But what about the normal flat areas?
You are stuck pedaling a bike that has fat tires and weighs too much

But what about the normal flat areas?
You are stuck pedaling a bike that has fat tires and weighs too much
Not mine; they have a little weight but the tires are as needed, not oversized. Those "fat tires" are a big waste of energy. Sure, they are a form of suspension, but unneeded and at too great a cost in energy. Besides, pedaling is the exercise we're there for, anyway

Not mine; they have a little weight but the tires are as needed, not oversized. Those "fat tires" are a big waste of energy. Sure, they are a form of suspension, but unneeded and at too great a cost in energy. Besides, pedaling is the exercise we're there for, anyway

That is my biggest reason for avoiding an eBike

I am getting older and would appreciate a little boost on hills.
But I enjoy riding a bike that is lightweight and has little rolling resistance

Forum List

Back