NFL PLAYOFFS ROUND 3 PICKS

Montrovant

Fuzzy bears!
May 4, 2009
A Picturesque Apocalypse
And then there were 4.

New England vs Jacksonville - The Jags won a surprising game against the Steelers. I didn't expect the Jags to win, but if they were going to win, I thought it would be through a smothering defensive effort, not by outscoring the Steelers in a shootout. I think the run ends here, although I'd prefer the Jags in the SB. Pats 34-17.

Minnesota vs Philadelphia - Are the Vikings a team of destiny after the improbable finish to last week's game? Maybe not, but I think they are just a bit better than the Eagles. Both teams have strong defenses. The Vikings gave up the second half comeback, but that was against one of the all-time greats in Brees. Nick Foles is no Drew Brees. On offense, I'll give the Vikings a slight edge over the Eagles. This should be a very close game, coming down to a last minute attempt by the Eagles to get into FG range for the win....but unlike the Vikings/Saints game, the Eagles will fall just short. Vikings 20-19 thanks to a missed extra point by the Eagles.

And then there were 4.

New England vs Jacksonville - The Jags won a surprising game against the Steelers. I didn't expect the Jags to win, but if they were going to win, I thought it would be through a smothering defensive effort, not by outscoring the Steelers in a shootout. I think the run ends here, although I'd prefer the Jags in the SB. Pats 34-17.

Minnesota vs Philadelphia - Are the Vikings a team of destiny after the improbable finish to last week's game? Maybe not, but I think they are just a bit better than the Eagles. Both teams have strong defenses. The Vikings gave up the second half comeback, but that was against one of the all-time greats in Brees. Nick Foles is no Drew Brees. On offense, I'll give the Vikings a slight edge over the Eagles. This should be a very close game, coming down to a last minute attempt by the Eagles to get into FG range for the win....but unlike the Vikings/Saints game, the Eagles will fall just short. Vikings 20-19 thanks to a missed extra point by the Eagles.

Don't count Jacksonville out. They won partly because they were buoyed by stupid Steeler comments dissing them and partly because the Steelers knew there had been a terrorist threat at the game to kill some of the players and fans and they had that on their minds, but the Jaguars have the momentum now and NE has to defend.

Looks like Tom Brady vs the also ran's

Jacksonville has had a great run but it has to end sometime. The Jags struggled against Buffalo...I can't see them beating the Pats
NE 28 Jacksonville 13

Weather in Philly looks like it will be in the 40s. It will not impact dome team Minnesota. Both have great defenses but I look for the Vikings to stuff the philly offense. Foles long game

Minn 24 Philly 17

Pats over Jags --- Pats would be very wrong to sleep on the Jags, and I don't think they will. I was surprised that the Steelers/Jags game turned into a shootout. I don't think this one will be. Was very impressed with the Jags running game.

Vikes over Iggles --- I felt emotionally drained after the Saints game. To go from first half domination to 4 lead changes in the final few minutes of the game and a near miraculous finish. Wow! The NFC-Championship game should be an interesting matchup between two good defensive teams and two backup QB's. I give the edge to the Vikes. Keenum has had a very good year and has proven to be a very capable starter. The Vikes need to tighten up a few things defensively and offensively. Keenum gifted the Saints with a short field turnover and they got another short field by blocking a punt. Fortunately, the Vikings won't be facing Brees this time, but Foles is capable of taking advantage of mistakes too.

And then there were 4.

On paper, Philly looks stronger however.

Each of their stat's is slightly better.

Pats over Jags --- Pats would be very wrong to sleep on the Jags, and I don't think they will. I was surprised that the Steelers/Jags game turned into a shootout. I don't think this one will be. Was very impressed with the Jags running game.

Vikes over Iggles --- I felt emotionally drained after the Saints game. To go from first half domination to 4 lead changes in the final few minutes of the game and a near miraculous finish. Wow! The NFC-Championship game should be an interesting matchup between two good defensive teams and two backup QB's. I give the edge to the Vikes. Keenum has had a very good year and has proven to be a very capable starter. The Vikes need to tighten up a few things defensively and offensively. Keenum gifted the Saints with a short field turnover and they got another short field by blocking a punt. Fortunately, the Vikings won't be facing Brees this time, but Foles is capable of taking advantage of mistakes too.
Drew Brees is probably blaming himself for getting off to a slow start in that game.

And of course everyone else is blaming the stupid defensive back who missed an easy tackle. The Saints need to cut that guy and replace him. You cannot play with an unreliable weak link like this guy on your team.

Drew Brees is probably blaming himself for getting off to a slow start in that game.

And of course everyone else is blaming the stupid defensive back who missed an easy tackle. The Saints need to cut that guy and replace him. You cannot play with an unreliable weak link like this guy on your team.
The kid was a rookie and had an interception earlier in the game

But even a High School kid playing safety would know not to let the receiver get behind you. He didn't even look at the receiver as he made a no arm tackle.

Wrap him up and the game was over

But even a High School kid playing safety would know not to let the receiver get behind you. He didn't even look at the receiver as he made a no arm tackle.

Admittedly, it's possible the game would be over with a Vikings FG if Diggs were able to step out of bounds, but still, far better to chance that than letting him get the walk off TD. :)

I've seen the replay. I have serious questions about that 'missed' tackle. It looked far to 'deliberate' to be just a blown play.

I've seen the replay. I have serious questions about that 'missed' tackle. It looked far to 'deliberate' to be just a blown play.

The first thing that crossed my mind was something like, "Now THIS is the kind of play LARamsFan should use to make a case for the NFL being fixed." :lol:

I can't see why the NFL would want to fix the game for the Vikings to win, though. Brees is a bigger draw.

The first thing that crossed my mind was something like, "Now THIS is the kind of play LARamsFan should use to make a case for the NFL being fixed." :lol:

I can't see why the NFL would want to fix the game for the Vikings to win, though. Brees is a bigger draw.
Well, I don't know if this is NFL systemic or just one player who looks to Me to have intentionally missed, or thrown, a play to affect an outcome of a game with big stakes. Maybe this player just came into a boatload of money.

It can't be proven of course. I have no dog in this fight as I don't care about either team. Just seemed that an objective look at the player's actions suggest he is either the worst tackler in the NFL or on the Saints, or he simply had a mind fart.

Just struck Me as blatant.

Well, I don't know if this is NFL systemic or just one player who looks to Me to have intentionally missed, or thrown, a play to affect an outcome of a game with big stakes. Maybe this player just came into a boatload of money.

It can't be proven of course. I have no dog in this fight as I don't care about either team. Just seemed that an objective look at the player's actions suggest he is either the worst tackler in the NFL or on the Saints, or he simply had a mind fart.

Just struck Me as blatant.

I think it was probably just that bad of an attempted tackle by a rookie. The same player had an important pick earlier in the game to help with NO's comeback attempt.

I agree, though, it was so egregiously bad, it looked intentional.

Even worse, he took out his teammate who may have been able to tackle Diggs as he was trying to regain his balance. One of the worst defensive plays I've ever seen. Hopefully the rookie will learn from his mistake and atone next year. Sorry for the players, but not sorry at all for the Saints organization and coach.

My little fun conspiracy after watching Vikings lose for 50+ years.
US Bank Stadium in Mpls. Was picked for Superbowl a couple years ago before construction began. Funded partially with taxpayer money( and not everyone was happy) to the tune of about a billion.
Now a chance for the underdog team to be the only to host Superbowl, the only team I believe to NOT kneel during protests.
How American, How NFL, how to fill seats for years in a shiny new stadium.
Crazy? Like a Fox.

Admittedly, it's possible the game would be over with a Vikings FG if Diggs were able to step out of bounds, but still, far better to chance that than letting him get the walk off TD. :)
I heard some guy on ESPN say the same thing that the receiver would have stepped out of bounds and the Vikes could have kicked a FG

But if you drive the receiver back at all, forward progress is called and the clock keeps ticking. With Diggs up in the air, takes nothing to catch him as he comes down and drive him back

I'll go with Jags. Tom Brady is a whole different quarterback if a team can bring the pressure upon him. Plus somebody always picks the underdogs just because they don't know what the heck they're talking about and then if their pick hits it makes them look smart. That's me.

Minnesota at Philly is tough to pick because I like both teams. For simple reason I was pulling for a Bills-Vikings Super Bowl, I'll stick with Vikings.

The Pats go to another Super Bowl and the Eagles will join them.
The Vikings will not be the first team to be at home for the Super Bowl

And then there were 4.

Jacksonville and philly

I'll go with Jags. Tom Brady is a whole different quarterback if a team can bring the pressure upon him. Plus somebody always picks the underdogs just because they don't know what the heck they're talking about and then if their pick hits it makes them look smart. That's me.

Minnesota at Philly is tough to pick because I like both teams. For simple reason I was pulling for a Bills-Vikings Super Bowl, I'll stick with Vikings.
I’m hoping this is the beginning of the end for the patriot dynasty. Every dynasty must come to an end theirs lasted longer than most.

I hope they are like the spurs after Tim Duncan retired.

Forum List

Back