New Atheist and Their Histories

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by vasuderatorrent, Sep 1, 2019.

1. vasuderatorrent

vasuderatorrent VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +968
    There is this odd discussion I have seen in threads. Here is an imaginary example:

New Atheist: I am not a Christian anymore.

Christian: That is because you were taught false doctrines. You are in the wrong church.

New Atheist: Oh no. It has nothing to do with that. I just don't believe the factual claims in the Bible actually happened.

Christian: If you were in the right church then you would have a proper understanding of God. The church you went to really warped your view of God.

New Atheist: Honestly. A superior theology cannot negate the fact that the only information I have from God comes from the claims of others. A powerful theology will never eliminate that aspect of it.

• Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
  2. vasuderatorrent

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +968
    Why is it so surprising that people do not believe a snake talked to a woman, a flood destroyed the entire earth, the Red Sea opened at the perfect moment to spare the Israelites and killed Egyptian soldiers, Jonah lived in a fish for three days, that Ezekiel breathed on rotten bones that became soldiers, that Jesus turned water to wine, that Jesus walked on water, that Jesus touched people and they became well of any infirmity, that Jesus died for three days and came back to life, that Jesus magically ascended to heaven, Jesus's blood protects me from hell and that every human being is obligated to believe all of this for no reason whatsoever?

Honestly, why are we shocked when someone rejects such nonsense? Any rational human knows these claims are absurd. Even non-rational humans can observe the absurdity. My question is deeper than that.

Which Christian theology is superior at getting people to embrace this rubbish and never convert to an atheist ideology? and why is it so successful?

• Funny and Agree!! Funny and Agree!! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. OldLady

OldLady Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +41,679
    People need the consolation of religion. Just because you no longer believe in it is no reason to try and take that consolation from others. IMO.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. vasuderatorrent

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +968
    I agree but I am still curious. Which religious ideologies keep their congregations from drifting into an atheistic world view?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. Disir

Disir Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,225
    Origen was not a fan of biblical literalism. There was a period in early Christianity where there was a whole lot of self castration going on. Origen did that in his twenties and then came back and said the bible should not be taken literally. Learning on the curve.

There are a lot of new atheists that are angry, feel deceived and want to share the Good News. That's fine.

But, over time you figure out there are far more pressing problems in the world and that most of the people you encounter are regular people. They aren't movers and shakers. The world is a crappy place and attending church or believing as they do helps them cope. That's fine, too.

6. vasuderatorrent

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +968
    I understand but it is funny that they think disbelieving unlikely things is shocking.

7. Disir

Disir Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,225
    Many of them don't take the bible literally. There are Christians on this forum that do not believe in a literal interpretation.

8. rightwinger

rightwinger Award Winning USMB Paid Messageboard Poster

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +97,845
    Atheists have just heard all the mythology and don’t believe it to be true

If you want to believe in magic, you are welcome to it

9. Disir

Disir Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,225
    As it should be.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  10. petro

petro Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,497
    Not a follower of any religion, but the current crop of Atheists come across as douches offended by anything mentioning God.
    Seems God still has the power to offend.
    As far as Creation, the Big Bang and assumption of a Singularity sounds as magical to me as God creating the Universe.