New Atheist and Their Histories

There is this odd discussion I have seen in threads. Here is an imaginary example:

New Atheist: I am not a Christian anymore.

Christian: That is because you were taught false doctrines. You are in the wrong church.

New Atheist: Oh no. It has nothing to do with that. I just don't believe the factual claims in the Bible actually happened.

Christian: If you were in the right church then you would have a proper understanding of God. The church you went to really warped your view of God.

New Atheist: Honestly. A superior theology cannot negate the fact that the only information I have from God comes from the claims of others. A powerful theology will never eliminate that aspect of it.
You left out the part where new atheism condemns respect for people who believe in God.

Yes. I also left out the recipe for butter pecan ice cream.
I just thought you might like to tell both sides of the story. My bad.

Supposedly there are some superior Christian teachings out there that prevent people from exploring any alternatives. I want to know about those so that I can study them.
That’s news to me. I’m a bad Catholic. As near as I can tell we are encouraged to question the status quo.

So why are you interested in studying “superior” Christian teachings that discourages exploration? Seems like a stupid thing to want to study to me.

What atheistic thought pattern would you like us to turn to?

You should hold to God's unchanging hand. Build your hopes on things eternal. Hold to God's unchanging hand. Not all of us are lucky enough to believe that stuff.

There is this odd discussion I have seen in threads. Here is an imaginary example:

Christian: That is because you were taught false doctrines. You are in the wrong church.

New Atheist: Oh no. It has nothing to do with that. I just don't believe the factual claims in the Bible actually happened.

Christian: If you were in the right church then you would have a proper understanding of God. The church you went to really warped your view of God.

New Atheist: Honestly. A superior theology cannot negate the fact that the only information I have from God comes from the claims of others. A powerful theology will never eliminate that aspect of it.
You left out the part where new atheism condemns respect for people who believe in God.

Supposedly there are some superior Christian teachings out there that prevent people from exploring any alternatives. I want to know about those so that I can study them.
That’s news to me. I’m a bad Catholic. As near as I can tell we are encouraged to question the status quo.

So why are you interested in studying “superior” Christian teachings that discourages exploration? Seems like a stupid thing to want to study to me.

Power. I am a lot like Simon the Sorcerer. Teach me more so that I may have great powers.

Power. I am a lot like Simon the Sorcerer. Teach me more so that I may have great powers.
Power to do what?

How much respect do Christians give to atheists?

You should hold to God's unchanging hand. Build your hopes on things eternal. Hold to God's unchanging hand. Not all of us are lucky enough to believe that stuff.
You think that’s on my mind 24/7/365? No.

My practice is much simpler than yours.

I give thanks and praise through my behaviors, thoughts and deeds. That’s called worshipping God BTW. That’s how you were meant to worship.

More importantly when I encounter difficulties I find something to be thankful for and then ask God what it was I was supposed to learn from it.

How much respect do Christians give to atheists?
You’ll have to ask my sisters.

But don’t ask the militant atheists because I won’t get a good report card. I give them the same respect they give me.

I give thanks and praise through my behaviors, thoughts and deeds. That’s called worshipping God BTW. That’s how you were meant to worship.

More importantly when I encounter difficulties I find something to be thankful for and then ask God what it was I was supposed to learn from it.

I am sorry. Which atheistic thought patterns would you like to turn to?

I don’t know. You were the one who brought them up. Don’t you know why you mentioned them?

I don’t know. You were the one who brought them up. Don’t you know why you mentioned them?

I was asking how to prevent them.

No. You asked what religious doctrines prevent atheistic thought patterns.

I asked what atheistic thought patterns are being squelched.

It's ok if you ignored my post and just assumed what you thought they said. I will make sure to correct you when you slip up like that.

I was asking which religious doctrines prevent people from exploring atheistic thought. What you saw in my posts was pure fantasy on your part.

No. You asked what religious doctrines prevent atheistic thought patterns.

I asked what atheistic thought patterns are being squelched.

Which post was that? I saw one where you asked me what atheistic thought patterns I would like you guys to turn to. Maybe I missed the one where you asked that. I will read them all again.

It's ok if you ignored my post and just assumed what you thought they said. I will make sure to correct you when you slip up like that.

I was asking which religious doctrines prevent people from exploring atheistic thought. What you saw in my posts was pure fantasy on your part.
I understand. I was asking what atheistic thought patterns you are talking about.

I’m not aware of any religious doctrines that prevent anything because participation is voluntary. But putting that aside the concept of free will supersedes all dogma in that a positive election to believe in God is a choice. By definition choice means it’s up to you.

I understand. I was asking what atheistic thought patterns you are talking about.

I’m not aware of any religious doctrines that prevent anything because participation is voluntary. But putting that aside the concept of free will supersedes all dogma in that a positive election to believe in God is a choice. By definition choice means it’s up to you.

It is about belief in God. It isn't about an inferior theological background. Either you think an invisible man exists or you don't.

Why is it so surprising that people do not believe a snake talked to a woman, a flood destroyed the entire earth, the Red Sea opened at the perfect moment to spare the Israelites and killed Egyptian soldiers, Jonah lived in a fish for three days, that Ezekiel breathed on rotten bones that became soldiers, that Jesus turned water to wine, that Jesus walked on water, that Jesus touched people and they became well of any infirmity, that Jesus died for three days and came back to life, that Jesus magically ascended to heaven, Jesus's blood protects me from hell and that every human being is obligated to believe all of this for no reason whatsoever?

Honestly, why are we shocked when someone rejects such nonsense? Any rational human knows these claims are absurd. Even non-rational humans can observe the absurdity. My question is deeper than that.

Which Christian theology is superior at getting people to embrace this rubbish and never convert to an atheist ideology? and why is it so successful?

Origen was not a fan of biblical literalism. There was a period in early Christianity where there was a whole lot of self castration going on. Origen did that in his twenties and then came back and said the bible should not be taken literally. Learning on the curve.

There are a lot of new atheists that are angry, feel deceived and want to share the Good News. That's fine.

But, over time you figure out there are far more pressing problems in the world and that most of the people you encounter are regular people. They aren't movers and shakers. The world is a crappy place and attending church or believing as they do helps them cope. That's fine, too.

I understand but it is funny that they think disbelieving unlikely things is shocking.

Many of them don't take the bible literally. There are Christians on this forum that do not believe in a literal interpretation.

That is odd. If some of the Bible is false then how can you determine the true parts?

In the New Testament Jesus frequently uses parables but they are declared to be parables.

The bulk of the Bible is asserted as true. If I am free to reject insignificant minute details then what obligates me to believe more relevant theologically imperative doctrines?

I believe the Bible is the greatest and most powerful work of literature ever written (or compiled if you are BreezeWood). I reject none of it. All of it is useful. Just because I passionately love the Bible doesn't require me to believe what another person says I should believe just because they saw a Bible one time.

It was compiled.

Frankly, you aren't obligated to believe some, all or none of it.

It's not odd. Nothing obligates you to do anything. You create your own limitations, look around and act as if others are holding you back.

It is about belief in God. It isn't about an inferior theological background. Either you think an invisible man exists or you don't.
No. You are skipping steps. At the heart of this debate is whether the material world was created by spirit or not.

No. You are skipping steps. At the heart of this debate is whether the material world was created by spirit or not.
And you can't prove it either way.

And you can't prove it either way.
I’ve done so many times for you.

Forum List

Back