Need info on motorcycles

manu1959 said:
my wife is a paramedic she picked up a couple that had not properly invested in cool motercycle clothing

found her face down with no nose and no nipples

found his tennis shoes with his feet in them 100 yards from the rest of him
I've seen that...and in a car vs motorcycle situation...who wins? Not the rider, Duh...
Put yer fingers on yer ribs about mid way from your arm pit..that's about where they cut you to insert the chest tube so the blood will drain from around your lung so you can breath...hurts like hell too, if yer alive enough to feel it.

Fmr jarhead said:
So when I ride my bike from DC on my way down to So FLA, can I stop by and see ya in Atlanta, Mr. P?
Well, it'll be a bit out of your way but sure..I'll get some new tube and a sharp scapel. Oh, and a beer or two for pain relief!

Mr. P said:
I've seen that...and in a car vs motorcycle situation...who wins? Not the rider, Duh...
Put yer fingers on yer ribs about mid way from your arm pit..that's about where they cut you to insert the chest tube so the blood will drain from around your lung so you can breath...hurts like hell too, if yer alive enough to feel it.

medic? or personal experience?

Mr. P said:
I flew an EMS helicoper...followed into the ER with the patient. I saw it all, the good, bad and the ugly, and tears...even some of my own..
It's a tough job your wife has.

ah yes i remeber you telling me that now ..... wife has some horrific stories ..... walking into a shotgun to the head sucide with an umbrella cuz it was raining ..... she use to tell me these stories :puke: over dinner

manu1959 said:
ah yes i remeber you telling me that now ..... wife has some horrific stories ..... walking into a shotgun to the head sucide with an umbrella cuz it was raining ..... she use to tell me these stories :puke: over dinner
I know how she feels...It's everyday at the office for her..but it's really not..we develop a resistance to most of it. .you have too if you want to survive. But then there are moments that break through the strongest of barriers and ya just breakdown. I'm sure you've seen her do it.
Even if you don't break (and everyone does sometime), you have to talk about it...it helps alot.

Mr. P said:
I know how she feels...It's everyday at the office for her..but it's really not..we develop a resistance to most of it. .you have too if you want to survive. But then there are moments that break through the strongest of barriers and ya just breakdown. I'm sure you've seen her do it.
Even if you don't break, you have to talk about it...it helps alot.

little kids got her everytime....she retired once she had her own kids

Obviously Fmr Jarhead and I have a disparity of opinion on Yamaha and perhaps I was just a tad harsh - but that's why there is more than one manufacturer of bikes. However, let me enthusiastically endorse his recommendation to attend a MSF or other Advanced Rider Course. I don't care what your experience level may be, it's well worth the time and money. If you join the American Motorcycle Association, they will even reimburse you for the cost of enrolling (don't recall what the limit is). So will Honda's Red Rider club.

A lot of people say that the way to ride is to assume that you're invisible. I used to believe that, but I don't any more. Now I assume that everyone sees me - they're just waiting for the best moment to pull out in front of me. If you're going to ride on two wheels you need to educate yourself, develop proficiency handling the machine, use plenty of common sense, be very safety conscious and bring along an industrial strength case of paranoia.

Merlin1047 said:
Obviously Fmr Jarhead and I have a disparity of opinion on Yamaha - but that's why there is more than one manufacturer of bikes. However, let me enthusiastically endorse his recommendation to attend a MSF or other Advanced Rider Course. I don't care what your experience level may be, it's well worth the time and money. If you join the American Motorcycle Association, they will even reimburse you for the cost of enrolling (don't recall what the limit is). So will Honda's Red Rider club.

A lot of people say that the way to ride is to assume that you're invisible. I used to believe that, but I don't any more. Now I assume that everyone sees me - they're just waiting for the best moment to pull out in front of me. If you're going to ride on two wheels you need to educate yourself, develop proficiency handling the machine, use plenty of common sense, be very safety conscious and bring along an industrial strength case of paranoia.

I already drive that way... :D

Thanks for the tips so far. I will definitely check out the MSF safety course.

gop_jeff said:
I already drive that way... :D

Thanks for the tips so far. I will definitely check out the MSF safety course.

Oh, - and one more thing - IMO you most DEFINITELY want a fairing and a winshield. Unless you enjoy getting hit by hard bodied bugs while doing 70 - 80 mph. Even with a fairing and windshield you're going to get a little of that. I once got a wild hair and had my Royal Star wound up to something in excess of 120 when something hard managed to get around the lower fairing and hit me in the shin. I thought I'd been shot.

Parts of the bug penetrated my clothing and embedded themselves in my leg. After getting home, I spent about 15 minutes with a tweezer and magnifying glass picking that shit out of my leg.

So if that prospect doesn't bother you, then go ahead and ride with no windshield and no fairing. You'll also love the rain hitting you at highway speeds.

Merlin1047 said:
Oh, - and one more thing - IMO you most DEFINITELY want a fairing and a winshield. Unless you enjoy getting hit by hard bodied bugs while doing 70 - 80 mph. Even with a fairing and windshield you're going to get a little of that. I once got a wild hair and had my Royal Star wound up to something in excess of 120 when something hard managed to get around the lower fairing and hit me in the shin. I thought I'd been shot.

Parts of the bug penetrated my clothing and embedded themselves in my leg. After getting home, I spent about 15 minutes with a tweezer and magnifying glass picking that shit out of my leg.

So if that prospect doesn't bother you, then go ahead and ride with no windshield and no fairing. You'll also love the rain hitting you at highway speeds.

it sounds so fun....i can't imagine why i haven't bought one yet.....

good cautionary advice though

Merlin1047 said:

Back before the windshield was used much we had face shields on the helmet..still a good idea..anyway a friend of mine that never used a shield was slammed in the face by a ufo that damn near knocked him off his bike.

Merlin1047 said:

That's a good point and probably a problem a lot of people don't think about. There's nothing like taking a grasshopper in the face at 70 mph.

Merlin1047 said:

We definitely have a difference of opinion, but we agree on the safety issues. MSF is not an option, it is a requirement for safety, as far as I am concerned.

Oh....and I don't have a windshield or a fairing. But I ride with a full face helmet, jacket with body armor and chaps....boots and gloves are a must, also.....even in the heat of summer you won't find me "dressing down."

MSF first, buy a bike afterward, when you have a better knowledge of how to run on a smaller bike (they provide small bikes for the training).

Mr. P said:
I flew an EMS helicopter...followed into the ER with the patient. I saw it all, the good, bad and the ugly, and tears...even some of my own..
It's a tough job your wife has.

I am a volunteer Firefighter...

Needless to say, I have safety equipment on when I ride my motorbike.

I also always wear my seatbelt.

Merlin1047 said:

I caught a rock on my full-faced helmet that actually moved my head back and created a crater on the front of the helmet. If I had not been wearing it that rock would have hit me in the neck.

gop_jeff said:
OK, I am thinking about getting a motorcycle.
Been thinking the exact same thing lately, and as others had mentioned was planning on getting something small and inexpensive to start with.

I liked this one, just a nice simple, inexpensive (under 6k, base) bike:

Shadow_VLX.jpg

2005 Honda Shadow VLX

Of course, even as inexpensive as it is, I ain't got it on me, so there's plenty of time to look over the links provided in this thread.

Forum List

Back