Need info on motorcycles

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 5stringJeff, Apr 5, 2005.

1. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    OK, I am thinking about getting a motorcycle. Problem is, I don't know jack about the different makes/models.

I definitely want a cruiser model, not a dirt bike or a sports bike.

I know a couple of makes, like Harley-Davidson, Indian, and Goldwing.

My questions are:

1. What other makes of cruisers are there? What are some of the major likes/dislikes about each make?

2. For a beginner like me (read: never driven a motorcycle before), what size/kind of bike should I look for?

3. What's the average price range for such a beginner's bike?

4. Do I have to get a tattoo? :D

I know there are a lot of bikers on the board, so hopefully this will point me in the right direction. Thanks! :thup:

2. freeandfun1

freeandfun1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +296
    I am glad you posted this... I have many of the same questions! Eagerly awaiting the replies!

3. SmarterThanYou

SmarterThanYou Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    All motorcycle manufacturers make a cruiser model. If you choose one of the japanese blends, go for a V-twin...like the virago from yamaha.

You are a tall individual so anything above 1000cc's should do nicely.

New prices range from around 9k to 30k.

It's only required in certain circles but let us know if you go with the power rangers. :teeth:

4. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    How about used? Or does that vary by make/model/year like cars?

Is that what your avatar is? :D

5. freeandfun1

freeandfun1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +296
    I was looking at some ads for some used bikes this weekend. There were two posted at the Mt. Springs Saloon Biker Bar (stopped by there this weekend while returning from Death Valley) and although they were both Harleys and both were made in the same years (2003), they were different models and one was asking $6K for his and the other guy was asking $25K for his. Big difference there! WOW

My wife has been looking at BMW bikes, but I think I would prefer a Harley myself.

6. SmarterThanYou

SmarterThanYou Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    and condition. a year old bike thats soundly beat up will not be worth as much. but bikes generally follow the same pattern as autos in depreciation costs.

nope, thats Brak from space ghost.

7. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741
    Initially? Look for a 500cc or so..Honda Shadow, etc. You are a newb - you'll want the lightest bike you can get. Frankly, find the cheapest bike you can fit on...and ride that for an entire summer. Later, look for something like the Kawasaki vulcan 750 or 1500, as your ability increases.
    When I was 18 I rode a Vulcan 750 quite a bit. Very good bike for somebody after they master some basics.

[​IMG]

DO NOT let people talk you into getting the biggest best bike you can afford. Get a bike which won't cost you a lost. When you set down a $2000 bike, you don't feel NEARLY as bad as when you set down a $10K bike

Here's is a MUST read....
    http://home.earthlink.net/~thebradfords/startsmall.htm

Before you ride, or even before you buy, invest in GOOD quality gear. You don't have to spring for leathers, but invest in good textile gear at least. Preferable gear with padding/armor. Today, one can find good armored gear which still looks 'biker'ish (as opposed to 'fruity' like the sport-bike leathers look! :p )

Budget $1000 or so for gear if you value your limbs, and head. Budget $500 for gear if you only value your head and upper body. ;) The guy in the Kawi pic above doesn't have it right. He's hurting in a BIG way if he bites it at anything much over 35mph, while wearing jeans. Jeans:Asphalt as tissue:sandpaper. Oh...and yeah...what if he hits his FACE on anything while he's tumbling down the road.. :(

And before you even THINK about riding very much - take the time to do it right:

http://www.dol.wa.gov/ds/wmsp.htm

Enjoy! :)

Oh - do i have to show you the pic of the guy who crashed while 'not' wearing a full-faced helmet???

8. Trinity

Trinity VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +79

Yes, That is a must!

jk :teeth:

9. Jimmyeatworld

Jimmyeatworld Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +223
    If you've never riden before, I would recommend getting a used bike, something like a 125cc Honda or a Kawasaki Eliminator. The bad thing about bikes over the last few years is that most of them are not suited for new riders. If you go with a newer one, Harley-Davidson's Dyna Super Glide Sport is one of the best performing bikes. If you want to go rice rocket, Honda has the Shadow Sabre. It's not the biggest or fastest, but it's not a bad looking bike. On the other side of the coin, Kawasaki has the Mean Streak, which is powerful but looks a little cheesy. A Suzuki Intruder would be good for a beginner, too. Not sure about the prices, but I bet they all have websites to find out.

Oh, and you have to get a tattoo of Ted Kennedy on your butt! :laugh:

10. freeandfun1

freeandfun1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +296
    What about the ponytail or the wallet on a chain? are those musts too? :mm: