my next door neighbor keeps letting my cat in his home

Sounds like you are jealous of your cat's new found friend. Also, your understanding of the relationship is backwards. You don't own a cat, the cat owns you. He also now owns your neighbor. Be happy for the cat as he has become more powerful. Someday this cat may rule over the entire neighborhood.

Bottom line, as long as the cat has no collar and is free to roam the neighborhood, it's likely to be making all kinds of friends that you may or may not approve of.
Somebody who hasn't read the entire thread.:rolleyes:

What should you do next? Go have another neighbor kick you in the ass as hard as he can for your gross irresponsibility. You don't love animals. You hate animals.

why is that? She is fixed, fed, has shelter etc.. She cannot come in for reasons already said. She is an outdoor cat and has been fine for years.
If you leave her outside don't get pissed when someone else lets her in.

What should you do next? Go have another neighbor kick you in the ass as hard as he can for your gross irresponsibility. You don't love animals. You hate animals.

why is that? She is fixed, fed, has shelter etc.. She cannot come in for reasons already said. She is an outdoor cat and has been fine for years.
She's been his outdoor cat for three years and his other neighbors have respected that and not invited the cat into their homes, fed them, etc. She and the other cat have been fine as outdoor cats for 3 years. He feeds them and takes care of their needs, including vet bills. Now it's just okay for someone to decide he will interfere with that? No. Ethically, it is wrong.

The neighbor is interfering, knowingly, with the owner's relationship with his pet. What if some rich person came along and offered your kid lots of expensive toys and such to buy his affection. Would you say it's just tough luck on the parent because he can't offer the kid the same? Doubtful. It's the OP's cat, and no one has a right to interfere with that. It's been his cat for three years and it's been happy and fine. This neighbor is out of line, very out of line.

I am confused. Why would I be leaving my kids out on the street to be offered toys by some rich dude?

The cat must want to go inside. Otherwise, she wouldn't. Be glad that someone cares enough about her to get her in out of the cold.

Having said that, back in the days when I still let my cats go out, I had one who I had rescued from kids hanging her in a tree and shooting squirt guns at her. I moved her from Denver to Tucson and after several years, she up and moved in with an elderly lady two doors down from us.

Someone above said you don't own cats, they own you. Its true. I wished her well and though she continued to visit me, she became the cat of the neighbor.

OP needs to understand that his cat wants to do this. Make friends with your neighbor instead of finding reasons to be angry. And for Pete's sake, put your damn gun away.

She's been his outdoor cat for three years and his other neighbors have respected that and not invited the cat into their homes, fed them, etc. She and the other cat have been fine as outdoor cats for 3 years. He feeds them and takes care of their needs, including vet bills. Now it's just okay for someone to decide he will interfere with that? No. Ethically, it is wrong.

The neighbor is interfering, knowingly, with the owner's relationship with his pet. What if some rich person came along and offered your kid lots of expensive toys and such to buy his affection. Would you say it's just tough luck on the parent because he can't offer the kid the same? Doubtful. It's the OP's cat, and no one has a right to interfere with that. It's been his cat for three years and it's been happy and fine. This neighbor is out of line, very out of line.

But, cold weather or not, the cat is looking for something she's not getting. If a cat came to my door, I would let her in.

Evidently the cat has different ideas....

All cats should be outdoor cats.

Outdoor cats are happier.

You never see cats outside the window whining to get in; it is always the other way around.

I thought post number 1 was pretty lame.

Until I read post number 2.

important enough for you to comment. Welcome to ignore, both of you. Serious replies only please. Obv. these 2 idiots are not cat lovers.
Well, I'm going to take it seriously. I think it's a serious problem. Your neighbor is not respecting you. It's like taking away your property, except it is property you love and are emotionally attached to. It's like coming between you and your kids. He is very wrong to do what he is doing.

I wonder, do you have a garage? Can you house them in the garage, make a cat door for them to go in and out and have more safety and warmth? Can you put some kind of heated padding down in the cat shelter for them? They are going into his house because he is providing warmth and probably extra food. He wants the joy of having the animals around, but he does not want the responsibility of owning an animal. If one of them gets sick, ten to one he will not want to pay for any vet bills. I don't like this guy at all. I can see why you are mad.

I'll think about it some more. Right now I don't have any other ideas.
I had a neighbour do that to my kid's cat.

I put a note on the cat, and she called and told me she had spent a bunch of money on the cat at the vet, and that in her mind made the cat hers.

I asked her if she had spent as much money on the cat as she had spent on the car I was going to burn if she didn't leave my kids cat alone.

She moved.

Sounds like you are an asshole and a pain in the ass neighbor

Guess what?

It is not your cat. You want to keep a cat? Keep it in your own house. If you insist on keeping it outside, be prepared for the cat to go where it wants to. Obviously, it wants to go somewhere that is warm and to someone who gives a shit about it

The cat must want to go inside. Otherwise, she wouldn't. Be glad that someone cares enough about her to get her in out of the cold.

Having said that, back in the days when I still let my cats go out, I had one who I had rescued from kids hanging her in a tree and shooting squirt guns at her. I moved her from Denver to Tucson and after several years, she up and moved in with an elderly lady two doors down from us.

Someone above said you don't own cats, they own you. Its true. I wished her well and though she continued to visit me, she became the cat of the neighbor.

OP needs to understand that his cat wants to do this. Make friends with your neighbor instead of finding reasons to be angry. And for Pete's sake, put your damn gun away.
I disagree. Pets are like our children. If we have children, we often cannot give them everything they want. Does that make it okay for someone who can give them more to just take them away from us? No. The other neighbors have respected the OP's situation with his cat and not let the animals into their homes. The cats have been fine for 3 years. This other neighbor in question needs to do that too. Maybe this guy thinks it is because it is cold outside and the animal is suffering. OP needs to make sure the animals are quite comfortable in their shelter at his house and assure the neighbor of that. He needs to explain to the neighbor that the rest of the block does not let the cats in or feed them, and he should do the same.

Last edited:
Sounds like you are an asshole and a pain in the ass neighbor

Guess what?

It is not your cat. You want to keep a cat? Keep it in your own house. If you insist on keeping it outside, be prepared for the cat to go where it wants to. Obviously, it wants to go somewhere that is warm and to someone gives a shit about it
You are totally wrong. You are just totally wrong.

Forum List

Back