Lost my dog last night...

A few years ago my best friend died suddenly... we were neighbors in San Diego and he followed me here and bought a house two doors down from me... He and his dog Dotty were over here daily...
I took his dog in to live with me... my Shepard and my blind cat... Dotty has been slowing down lately and could only walk to her old home and back again...
I didn't think she was as bad as she was and neither did our Vet... but last night my Shepard Max woke me up and was making a fuss so I got up and found Dotty...
I didn't think it would hit me so hard but it sure has... memories of my friend and Dotty walking up my driveway with a cooler full of beer so we could watch another sunset from my porch... I miss my friend and now Dotty is gone too...
I don't know why I'm telling you all this but for the fact that I may be a little off for a while...

View attachment 933377
Been 6 years since I lost my last dog. Day doesn’t pass without thinking of her.

We know horses are in heaven, my guess all living creatures are.

What If Dogs Think We Are Immortal?​

What if in the dog world, humans are elves that routinely live to be 500+ years old?

"They live so long… but the good ones still bond with us for our entire lives."

"These immortals are so kind we must be good friends to them."

Many dogs never get to see their owners grow old and weak.

"Now I am old. The fur around my muzzle is grey and my joints ache when we walk together. Yet she remains unchanged, her hair still glossy, her skin still fresh, her step still sprightly. Time doesn’t touch her and yet I love her still."

But some do.

"For generations, he has guarded over my family. Since the days of my great-great-great-great-great-grandfather he has kept us safe. For so long we thought him immortal. But now I see differently, for just as my fur grows gray and my joints grow stiff, so too do his. He did not take in my children, but gave them away to his. I will be the last that he cares for. My only hope is that I am able to last until his final moments. The death of one of his kind is so rare. The ending of a life so long is such a tragedy. He has seen so much, he knows so much. I know he takes comfort in my presence. I only wish that I will be able to give him this comfort until the end."

I had a calico cat who was smarter than any cat ever and more like a dog
Followed commands. Would sit, stand up, and go get
Same .
Walks too , in and home from our 4.5 acre garden park, and wherever he was, he would appear instantly when I was leaving .
Sat in the middle of the pavement and dared any dog whatever size to come near him .Smaller dogs he attacked .

Took on cars twice but did not fare well .

Dogs give unconditional love
Unless their owner is an asshole

1713377126443.png

Then they bite everything that moves.

Sorry to hear about such sadness.

I always say, the worse it hurts when you lose a loved one the more it shows who much they are treasured because they were so special.

Although sad, in a way such sadness is a beautiful thing.

Don't worry too much about the pacemaker, it's a routine operation. I've got a pacemaker, two prosthetic knees, fluid in one lung and my heart, sleep apnea, and a dodgy back. When I married my wife I promised her I'd stay with her until I'm 80-years-old. I've only got 3 left. Take care, man. There are lots of people who have it much, much worse than we do. :D
other than that, you are fine?

Thank you everyone very much... my Shepard is walking back and fourth in the house looking for Dotty... so I think I'll take him up to the lake to play today...

A few years ago my best friend died suddenly... we were neighbors in San Diego and he followed me here and bought a house two doors down from me... He and his dog Dotty were over here daily...
I took his dog in to live with me... my Shepard and my blind cat... Dotty has been slowing down lately and could only walk to her old home and back again...
I didn't think she was as bad as she was and neither did our Vet... but last night my Shepard Max woke me up and was making a fuss so I got up and found Dotty...
I didn't think it would hit me so hard but it sure has... memories of my friend and Dotty walking up my driveway with a cooler full of beer so we could watch another sunset from my porch... I miss my friend and now Dotty is gone too...
I don't know why I'm telling you all this but for the fact that I may be a little off for a while...

View attachment 933377

That is hard. Most of us have been there. They bring so much to our lives.

Don't worry too much about the pacemaker, it's a routine operation. I've got a pacemaker, two prosthetic knees, fluid in one lung and my heart, sleep apnea, and a dodgy back. When I married my wife I promised her I'd stay with her until I'm 80-years-old. I've only got 3 left. Take care, man. There are lots of people who have it much, much worse than we do. :D
other than that, you are fine?
No pain when I laugh.

no you calm down- it's very sad?
Give it a month! After you get over you're your grief- you go out and get yourself a lab puppy. The puppy lab will never replace your dog that you had?- but once you see those puppy eyes i guarantee you _ you will be smitten....... and you'll never replace that one- but when you get older- i think you will die saying ---- how cool they both- were! i'm so sorry?

View attachment 933377

I am sorry to hear about your loss. A devoted dog is a wonder to have in our lives. But it is hard to say 'Goodbye'. Especially when there was such a connection.

Grieve all you need. We will still be here to give you a hard time when you're ready.

View attachment 933377
Sorry for your loss, when I grew up in San Diego, I had a border collie named Skipper, he was loyal, protective and smart and was the best friend that a kid could have ever had, when it was time to let him go, it was one of the worst days that I can recall, so I know it's a difficult time.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back