Cut the lawn yesterday and my dogs reaction when I returned was legendary

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
So I leave him in the backyard when I cut the front. There is alot to do, evidence of this is the pain I feel in my back today, this is the worst it has been in a very long time but I digress.

My dog was unusually calm. No barking at all. When I do the front, he cannot see me but he can hear the lawnmower. When I do the side there is an area on the deck where he can lie and watch me, he has about a 20% view. Total time to cut, especially the first lawn of the season is 40-45 minutes, it is a task.

Anyways, when I returned to the back and was putting the lawnmower away, he was acting like a six month old puppy. Bouncing around with far more energy than I have seen from him in the past. It caught me totally off guard the level of exciting he was expressing. Not only in his extreme excitement to see me but his healthy hopping around, his legs didn't buckle from his weight when he landed, he looked almost light footed. He was very energized and happy to see me, as if we had been gone for weeks. No whining, just hopping with happiness and following me around.

So, of course I felt honoured that my boy showed so much emotion to see me. We see each other all the time because there is just two of us here so I couldn't expect that response. It reminds me how much I am going to miss him when life ends for both of us.

Also, I had purchased some back leg braces for him a few weeks back and he has gone for a couple of walks with them on and I swear somehow they have almost reset his muscle memory since he had them on. He used to drop his back legs more often now he seems more able to keep his legs straight and this is why I do NOT have him wearing them.

It is amazing and I look forward to the long term results of having them on and off again. Best $50 I have spent in some time.

Last edited:
So I leave him in the backyard when I cut the front. There is alot to do, evidence of this is the pain I feel in my back today, this is the worst it has been in a very long time but I digress.

My dog was unusually calm. No barking at all. When I do the front, he cannot see me but he can hear the lawnmower. When I do the side there is an area on the deck where he can lie and watch me, he has about a 20% view. Total time to cut, especially the first lawn of the season is 40-45 minutes, it is a task.

Anyways, when I returned to the back and was putting the lawnmower away, he was acting like a six month old puppy. Bouncing around with far more energy than I have seen from him in the past. It caught me totally off guard the level of exciting he was expressing. Not only in his extreme excitement to see me but his healthy hopping around, his legs didn't buckle from his weight when he landed, he looked almost light footed. He was very energized and happy to see me, as if we had been gone for weeks. No whining, just hopping with happiness and following me around.

So, of course I felt honoured that my boy showed so much emotion to see me. We see each other all the time because there is just two of us here so I couldn't expect that response. It reminds me how much I am going to miss him when life ends for both of us.

Also, I had purchased some back leg braces for him a few weeks back and he has gone for a couple of walks with them on and I swear somehow they have almost reset his muscle memory since he had them on. He used to drop his back legs more often now he seems more able to keep his legs straight and this is why I do NOT have him wearing them.

It is amazing and I look forward to the long term results of having them on and off again. Best $50 I have spent in some time.
Your dog knows all about the pain in your back. He is happy for you. He feels the same way about you doing the lawn as you do seeing him walk with the braces.

Forum List

Back