My life, and my love of it...

Ragnar

<--- Pic is not me
Jan 23, 2010
Cincinnati, OH
Quote from AR via my Facebook page...

"Just as I support my life, neither by robbery nor alms, but by my own effort, so I do not seek to derive my happiness from the injury or the favor of others, but earn it by my own achievement."

- Ayn Rand

Right to the heart of the matter. Succinct in exactly the way that Atlas Shrugged is not. :lol:

How far are you from being able to "go Galt" and take "the pledge"?

"I swear by my life, and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."

- Atlas Shrugged

Me? I got a lot of work to do yet, lol.

As one that has been something of a loner most of my life, I do not intend to divorce the society that I live in. We all live for the sake of those arround us to some extent. From the taxes we pay for projects that serve us and those around us, to supporting our children.

I really don't think that Ann Rynd is someone to be taken seriously. Much better the read Ben Franklin's philosophy concerning life.

As one that has been something of a loner most of my life, I do not intend to divorce the society that I live in. We all live for the sake of those arround us to some extent. From the taxes we pay for projects that serve us and those around us, to supporting our children.

I really don't think that Ann Rynd is someone to be taken seriously. Much better the read Ben Franklin's philosophy concerning life.

So, did you vote "yes" in that poll about donating an extra percentage of your income to the Federal government?

Much better to read both, and then some. Ayn Rand was not an anarchist.

missed_the_point.jpg

Maybe pictures would be easier for you. There is government, and there is way way too much government...

monopork.jpg

Funny, Franklin is one of my favorate quotes:

"I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. In my youth I traveled much, and I observed in different countries, that the more public provisions were made for the poor, the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer." - Relating to prices and the poor, 1766

For some reason I dont think you'd listen to him on this matter any more than Ann

Last edited:

So, did you vote "yes" in that poll about donating an extra percentage of your income to the Federal government?

I can't understand why he should donate an extra measure to the feds. Explain that.

His whole shtick is that paying taxes is a bad thing. And that defunding the government is a good thing. People like him seems to think that sewage systems, schools, and universities grow on trees.

Funny, Franklin is one of my favorate quotes:

"I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. In my youth I traveled much, and I observed in different countries, that the more public provisions were made for the poor, the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer." - Relating to prices and the poor, 1766

For some reason I dont think you'd listen to him on this matter any more than Ann

Isn't that a wonderful quote from times when the poor couldn't be helped by the poor. And now the greatest nation on earth is still unable to help it's poor become richer.

His whole shtick is that paying taxes is a bad thing. And that defunding the government is a good thing. People like him seems to think that sewage systems, schools, and universities grow on trees.

Those are all local government prerogatives. The Federal Government has no authority in any of them.

If the Federal Government was spending money on that, Id sure as heck be much less concerned with the violation of spending.

But that's not what the Feds are spending it on. Nor should they be. They are spending money on special interests to ensure politicians they get reelected.

Tell me, how do any of us benefit by genital washing programs?

You can only let them go through the decline to understand. What is amusing that they deny they are responsible for where we are headed.

Last edited:
Isn't that a wonderful quote from times when the poor couldn't be helped by the poor. And now the greatest nation on earth is still unable to help it's poor become richer.

The poor would have a much easier time pulling themselves out of poverty if politicians didnt tax anyone who earns money and then still manages to outspend it at least 10 fold.

Charity cannont by done by the use of force. Which is why government fails at it by definition.

Charity only works when given of our own free will. You will know it's working when both the giver and the reciever is edified.

There is no shame in being poor. Just shame in being ashamed of being poor.

Oh good, Objectivism!

I'm so glad that the political right doesn't try to change the moral order :p

Oh good, Objectivism!

moral law cannot be changed.

We just need to learn it and live it.

Are you saying that Ayn Rand had a better grasp on "moral law" than Jesus had?

I didnt say anything about Ayn Rand.

I am just tired of people who think that they are somehow the exception to the natural order of things.

That their actions have no consequence. That they can ignore nature's God and nature's laws and that somehow through their willful ignorance or rebellion that they can do things better.

The poor would have a much easier time pulling themselves out of poverty if politicians didnt tax anyone who earns money and then still manages to outspend it at least 10 fold.

Charity cannont by done by the use of force. Which is why government fails at it by definition.

Charity only works when given of our own free will. You will know it's working when both the giver and the reciever is edified.

There is no shame in being poor. Just shame in being ashamed of being poor.

My answer to the problem is to only tax you as high as the poor are. Everybody should pay the same annual amount as the poor and no deductions or loop holes. You just pay it in. I figure the poor could probably pay $75. to $80. a year, so why should you pay anymore because you are rich??

Oh good, Objectivism!

moral law cannot be changed.

We just need to learn it and live it.

I have to disagree with that, because moral law is in the eye of the beholder as a person develops through a set of stages. Kohlberg's stages of moral development found that morals even differed between the genders, so it is not cut in the stone tablets.

If we decide that torture is acceptable in our society and it becomes the norm, then we have changed our moral development. There maybe moral laws that we have not yet encountered, possibly from a second dimension or a future event. For instance we find murder morally acceptable if done in the name of violent wars. Yet other moral standards say thou shall not kill and makes no acception. If we don't make the exception, there is a lot of combat vets headed for hell.

Forum List

Back