The thing I feared the most about Direct Deposit all my life happened today and it shook me up

fbj

Gold Member
Jul 10, 2014
I checked my bank account this morning and my paycheck wasnt there. That has never happened in my life and I had a panic attack and had to leave work and rush to the bank. Turned out it was a Internet outage and it prevented the check from posting. So they had to manually put it in for it to show. I was shaking all morning not understanding what was going on. Checking your account and seeing that your check is not there on payday is a awful feeling

I checked my bank account this morning and my paycheck wasnt there. That has never happened in my life and I had a panic attack and had to leave work and rush to the bank. Turned out it was a Internet outage and it prevented the check from posting. So they had to manually put it in for it to show. I was shaking all morning not understanding what was going on. Checking your account and seeing that your check is not there on payday is a awful feeling
..almost as bad as going to the gas station or grocery store.....

the female tellers are laughing their asses off.....lol...

Wow! You missed one paycheck for one pay period and the same day, it was supposed to post, and you had a panic attack? You play it close to the edged, don't you?:eek:

Better than finding your bank closed down due to a bank failure!

Christ, do you live paycheck, to paycheck or something?

I experienced the same thing in the 70s before direct deposit. My employer didn't have money in the bank to cover our paychecks. I deposited mine only to get three checks returned from my utility companies. He was forced to make good on them and pay the overage charges, but from then on, I went to the bank manager to make sure my paycheck would clear. It never happened again.

You think that's bad.

Just be glad you aren't the payroll manager in out organization.

There was a bug in the system a few years ago that after an update which caused the payroll run to crash. Not fixable locally and had to get the supplier on it.

Took them the better part of a day to figure out what they broke and hot patch a fix into the system. Finally got the process to complete and transfer the amounts to the back (electronically).

Not only did 1 check not show up, it was 3000.

(And because the system was broke, we couldn't print checks either if you think that would have been a fix. To print the checks the payroll still has to run.)

WW

Wow! You missed one paycheck for one pay period and the same day, it was supposed to post, and you had a panic attack? You play it close to the edged, don't you?:eek:
Damn, I was thinking the same thing.

That aside I just finished dealing with my Mom's direct withdraws (she passed two months ago) and i could not figure out what she paid monthly and what was direct withdraw like utilities and such.

When she passed her account froze on the withdraw end of things and only monies received could go into the account.

Well her utilities were direct withdraws so I got a nastygram from the town giving me a date when they would cut off utilities and a bill plus a late charge.

I went down and explained and they dropped the late charge and started sending me the bill.

Come to find out she had all kinds of piddly stuff like memberships and such.....Of course that stopped when they could not suck it out.

I'm going down to the bank tomorrow and close the account as there are no outstanding debts left other than her taxes. She said she filed before her death but I don't know that for sure.....I susect I'll get another nasty gram about those by and by. ;)

You think that's bad.

Just be glad you aren't the payroll manager in out organization.

There was a bug in the system after an update which caused the payroll run to crash. Not fixable locally and had to get the supplier on it.

Took them the better part of a day to figure out what they broke and hot patch a fix into the system.

Not only did 1 check not show up, it was 3000.

WW
I heard of a situation like that with a computer-generated payroll. The programmer was the first person to be paid and if he wasn't paid, no one was. He left the company and didn't tell anyone about this programming. As I recall, it threw a wrench in their payroll for a while.

I heard of a situation like that with a computer-generated payroll. The programmer was the first person to be paid and if he wasn't paid, no one was. He left the company and didn't tell anyone about this programming. As I recall, it threw a wrench in their payroll for a while.

I understand your story.

Out situation was not malicious, it was the company released a patch to fix some other things and broke our payroll. Just a matter of large scale business systems being interrelated.

WW

Last edited:

Forum List

Back