CDZ Muhammad Ali's -- Thoughts on what it means to be a principled gentleman

320 Years of History

Gold Member
Nov 1, 2015
Washington, D.C.
We last week lost "The Greatest." Muhammad Ali was a fighter who showed us what to fight for as much as how to do it. As the world mourns his passing, countless news programs replay clips of his life. I sincerely hope that in watching them, Americans don't focus only on his greatness as a fighter but also on the greatness of is character, most especially his integrity.

We all by now have been reminded of the big illustrations of Ali's integrity. His conscientious objection to fighting in the Vietnam war. There were serious and damaging consequences for doing that, but Ali didn't try to weasel his way out of them. He knew he'd "made his bed" and was prepared to lay in it. Why? Because he had a core set of principles and, for better or worse, he meant to adhere to them.

Interviewed by Howard Cosell, Ali was directly asked why, after having previously stating he wouldn't return to boxing, he was doing the exact opposite. Did Ali try to spin his answer? Absolutely not. He owned the fact that he was then doing exactly the opposite of what he'd said he would not do, telling Cosell, "Because I've changed my mind," going on then to explain why he did so.

In examining those two moments from Ali's life, we are reminded of what it means to be a principled man. A decision can change, but a principle rarely does. We are shown that a man of principle doesn't adjust them to fit everyone else's view of whom he should be; he says, "This is who I am," and leaves it to us to figure out who we are and whether we can get behind him or not, but whether we like it or not, he's not going to be someone else. In answering Cosell's question as plainly as he did, Ali showed his commitment to the principle of simply telling the simple truth and owning one's own truth, come what may. Can there even be any other principle that is as easy to uphold, and that makes adhering to whatever other principles one has easier to uphold?

Contrast Ali, a fighter in every sense of the word, a man who was braggadocious, bombastic, and as a pugilist, bellicose, with any of today's politicians, but most especially with the GOP's presumptive nominee, who is no less belligerent and boisterous and whom many have described as a fighter and a "counter-puncher." The differences are palpably clear. Ali was astutely aggressive in the ring, yet and advocate for amity and accord outside it. Ali had enduring principles, ones we appreciated and saw demonstrated over and over, whereas God only knows what, if any principles Trump has. All humanity can see it's certainly not that he will religiously tell the simple truth and that it is not that he will own his truth.

Trump, of course, is not alone as a politician who lies, so to some it may seem I've above unfairly singled him out; however, I think not. In today's political climate, people with the Ali's integrity have become extinct. Thus we voters must to our dismay choose not among a selection of candidates whose integrity is beyond reproach, but among only those of which it can only be said their integrity ranges from low to so-so. Of many politicians and candidates, it's hard to discern what principles they do have. But what separates Trump from all the rest is that I can find that the has only one, "Nothing is beneath me when it comes to having my way. Thus in all things, it's my way or the highway." Moreover, as goes the most basic principle of all, one that need have no nuance, telling the truth and owning one's own truth, Trump has demonstrated nearly 100 times by one organization's tabulation that he has absolutely no regard for the truth, that to him the truth is but a malleable means to an end, that is if it will help him achieve that end.

Trump claims he wants to make America great again. Well, even assuming it's not great now, it's not going to ever be great again if the man who is the most inveterate liar known to modern politics, a man who spews untruths like an animal marking territory, ends up in the White House. Trump can't see that, but hopefully come November, American voters can.

adogpeeingontree.jpg

3332372860_6705bdaa47_z.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Since when do serial adulterers become men of integrity
When they go to jail to uphold a principle. People who equate integrity with adherence to puritanical, unnatural codes of sexual morality have very low levels of testosterone.

We last week lost "The Greatest." Muhammad Ali was a fighter who showed us what to fight for as much as how to do it. As the world mourns his passing, countless news programs replay clips of his life. I sincerely hope that in watching them, Americans don't focus only on his greatness as a fighter but also on the greatness of is character, most especially his integrity.

We all by now have been reminded of the big illustrations of Ali's integrity. His conscientious objection to fighting in the Vietnam war. There were serious and damaging consequences for doing that, but Ali didn't try to weasel his way out of them. He knew he'd "made his bed" and was prepared to lay in it. Why? Because he had a core set of principles and, for better or worse, he meant to adhere to them.

Interviewed by Howard Cosell, Ali was directly asked why, after having previously stating he wouldn't return to boxing, he was doing the exact opposite. Did Ali try to spin his answer? Absolutely not. He owned the fact that he was then doing exactly the opposite of what he'd said he would not do, telling Cosell, "Because I've changed my mind," going on then to explain why he did so.

In examining those two moments from Ali's life, we are reminded of what it means to be a principled man. A decision can change, but a principle rarely does. We are shown that a man of principle doesn't adjust them to fit everyone else's view of whom he should be; he says, "This is who I am," and leaves it to us to figure out who we are and whether we can get behind him or not, but whether we like it or not, he's not going to be someone else. In answering Cosell's question as plainly as he did, Ali showed his commitment to the principle of simply telling the simple truth and owning one's own truth, come what may. Can there even be any other principle that is as easy to uphold, and that makes adhering to whatever other principles one has easier to uphold?

Contrast Ali, a fighter in every sense of the word, a man who was braggadocious, bombastic, and as a pugilist, bellicose, with any of today's politicians, but most especially with the GOP's presumptive nominee, who is no less belligerent and boisterous and whom many have described as a fighter and a "counter-puncher." The differences are palpably clear. Ali was astutely aggressive in the ring, yet and advocate for amity and accord outside it. Ali had enduring principles, ones we appreciated and saw demonstrated over and over, whereas God only knows what, if any principles Trump has. All humanity can see it's certainly not that he will religiously tell the simple truth and that it is not that he will own his truth.

Trump, of course, is not alone as a politician who lies, so to some it may seem I've above unfairly singled him out; however, I think not. In today's political climate, people with the Ali's integrity have become extinct. Thus we voters must to our dismay choose not among a selection of candidates whose integrity is beyond reproach, but among only those of which it can only be said their integrity ranges from low to so-so. Of many politicians and candidates, it's hard to discern what principles they do have. But what separates Trump from all the rest is that I can find that the has only one, "Nothing is beneath me when it comes to having my way. Thus in all things, it's my way or the highway." Moreover, as goes the most basic principle of all, one that need have no nuance, telling the truth and owning one's own truth, Trump has demonstrated nearly 100 times by one organization's tabulation that he has absolutely no regard for the truth, that to him the truth is but a malleable means to an end, that is if it will help him achieve that end.

Trump claims he wants to make America great again. Well, even assuming it's not great now, it's not going to ever be great again if the man who is the most inveterate liar known to modern politics, a man who spews untruths like an animal marking territory, ends up in the White House. Trump can't see that, but hopefully come November, American voters can.
Not to bust your chops, but I think Ali deserves a tribute without reference to Trump or pictures of defecating animals.

It is also worth keeping in mind that the reason Ali's actions had such resonance for people was that he employed his integrity in the name of achieving equality for others, not for personal aggrandizement. He had many flaws, of course, being human, but he utilized his integrity to stand up for principles which were defining his time. It is amazing how many of these defining issues were being exemplified by Ali. Issues of race and religion and identity (most famously with his name change) and opposition to the Vietnam War. Ali became the face of all of these issues, and was greatly hated for all of his positions (and still is, on the home of the cowardly, the internet.). Eventually he became respected for these same positions and actions, showing that he was on the right side of history in all these matters.

It is also worth keeping in mind that the reason Ali's actions had such resonance for people was that he employed his integrity in the name of achieving equality for others, not for personal aggrandizement. He had many flaws, of course, being human, but he utilized his integrity to stand up for principles which were defining his time. It is amazing how many of these defining issues were being exemplified by Ali. Issues of race and religion and identity (most famously with his name change) and opposition to the Vietnam War. Ali became the face of all of these issues, and was greatly hated for all of his positions (and still is, on the home of the cowardly, the internet.). Eventually he became respected for these same positions and actions, showing that he was on the right side of history in all these matters.

Yes. But that is exactly what I'm getting at with the OP. Trump is all about self aggrandizement. Given that, how can he possibly ever be seen as having been on the "right side of history?"

I can see Trump is not on the right side of history. Many others can too. Sadly, many folks cannot, blinded by the haze of their personal dissatisfaction and apostolic awe for a bombastic and selfish loudmouth, see it as well.

It'd be different if there were a plausible basis for thinking "as Trump gets rich, so to do most other folks." But that simply isn't so. Trump is not a rising tide upon which all boats comfortably ride. He is tidal wave that will sink all ships.

When they go to jail to uphold a principle. People who equate integrity with adherence to puritanical, unnatural codes of sexual morality have very low levels of testosterone.
Ya, Ali would have to swear allegiance to the US government upon induction as well as when he signed the marriage license.

Hear! Hear! To both of you.

Apparently there remain folks in the U.S. who even today don't understand how civil disobedience works. Civil disobeyers do what they do in full awareness of the legal repercussions of doing it and they are ready and willing to peacefully accept those repercussions. They don't start calling people names. They don't resist arrest. They put the strength of their character, their personal reputations and integrity up for critically reasoned comparison and contrast with/to the injustice they deplore and decry.

A serial adulterer who goes to jail in protest of marriage laws is a person of principle. A serial adulterer who justifies his/her actions with spin, prevarication, manipulation and whatnot is no person of integrity.

Ya, Ali would have to swear allegiance to the US government upon induction as well as when he signed the marriage license.
Did he need to swear allegiance to get the Presidential Medal of Freedom from Bush?

Hear! Hear! To both of you.

Apparently there remain folks in the U.S. who even today don't understand how civil disobedience works. Civil disobeyers do what they do in full awareness of the legal repercussions of doing it and they are ready and willing to peacefully accept those repercussions. They don't start calling people names. They don't resist arrest. They put the strength of their character, their personal reputations and integrity up for critically reasoned comparison and contrast with/to the injustice they deplore and decry.

A serial adulterer who goes to jail in protest of marriage laws is a person of principle. A serial adulterer who justifies his/her actions with spin, prevarication, manipulation and whatnot is no person of integrity.
Well that was an interesting statement in light of the fact that my ancestors practiced polygamy.
And some went to jail

Did he need to swear allegiance to get the Presidential Medal of Freedom from Bush?
One draft dodger to another.

Only one was a draft dodger. The other paid his debt.

So, going to jail negates any number of instances of personal behavior that reveal precisely a LACK of integrity? That is about as illogical as your comments on Biology are irrational.

In my experience, adultery is a fact of life for most people at some point. Every single human on this planet has weaknesses or moments of weakness and since adultery is about one of our most ingrained and instinctive urges, it is common as dandelions. As common as eating too much chocolate cake and gaining twenty pounds. The type of integrity I look for in my leaders is different than that. I admire someone who can pass through life without ever "cheating" on a spouse, but it isn't a prerequisite to being a good leader. Someone who takes responsibility for their actions and remains consistent in their guiding principles is more important to me.

Ali didn't dodge anything but punches.

In my experience, adultery is a fact of life for most people at some point. Every single human on this planet has weaknesses or moments of weakness and since adultery is about one of our most ingrained and instinctive urges, it is common as dandelions. As common as eating too much chocolate cake and gaining twenty pounds. The type of integrity I look for in my leaders is different than that. I admire someone who can pass through life without ever "cheating" on a spouse, but it isn't a prerequisite to being a good leader. Someone who takes responsibility for their actions and remains consistent in their guiding principles is more important to me.

Here here.

I especially find it ridiculous when men insult famous actors or athletes who commit adultery. Almost every man on the planet has urges that go beyond what monogamy provides, but they don't have 1/1,000,000th the availability of willing females.

As Chris Rock said, a man is only as faithful as his options.

Jennifer-Lawrence-ok-thumbs-up.gif

View attachment 77346

It's funny because I think Jennifer Lawrence would likely agree with me.

He showed up for induction, refused to be inducted, and stood there as they arrested him, and fought the case in court.

That's the EXACT opposite of draft-dodging. Draft-dodging is what GW Bush and Dick Cheney did by cycling through endless deferments and safe nat'l guard assignments.

Forum List

Back