Motor Trend Car of the Year

...the Tesla Roadster. Tesla calls the Model S the "world's first premium electric sedan," and is priced at $49,900 to $97,900, based on battery options and upgrades.

Three questions about the batteries.

1. hot weather (above 70) charging

3. cold weather (below 0) charging

3. Life expectency of the battery and replacement costs

Here's what I know. above 70, the battery needs to be cooled for recharging

Below 0 it cannot be charged

What I don't know, and cannot find is what is the lifeexpectency of the battery?

One would THINK that information was easily available.

The fact that it isn't leads me to think they're rather NOT have us think about that.

For that kind of money, I'd expect to know the answer to that question.

Here's what I think....after a certain number of recharges, the cost to replace those batteries in VERY expensive.

ABout the same cost as replacing an engine.

And I suspect you'll be lucky to get 7 years out of the battery in normal use.

This is NOT a good solution if this is the case.

DFoes anyone KNOW what the battery life is?

...the Tesla Roadster. Tesla calls the Model S the "world's first premium electric sedan," and is priced at $49,900 to $97,900, based on battery options and upgrades.
Three questions about the batteries.

1. hot weather (above 70) charging

3. cold weather (below 0) charging

3. Life expectency of the battery and replacement costs

Here's what I know. above 70, the battery needs to be cooled for recharging

Below 0 it cannot be charged

What I don't know, and cannot find is what is the lifeexpectency of the battery?

One would THINK that information was easily available.

The fact that it isn't leads me to think they're rather NOT have us think about that.

For that kind of money, I'd expect to know the answer to that question.

Here's what I think....after a certain number of recharges, the cost to replace those batteries in VERY expensive.

ABout the same cost as replacing an engine.

And I suspect you'll be lucky to get 7 years out of the battery in normal use.

This is NOT a good solution if this is the case.

DFoes anyone KNOW what the battery life is?

My niece's husband had to change the battery in a Prius just not a great deal of time ago and he said it cost $2,000.00 for the battery alone. And, he said you've got the lift the entire car off the ground a considerable distance and drop the battery from the bottom. And, he said it's potentially a very dangerous job, as one could get fried in the process.

Why do wingnuts on the right hate American technology? Can anyone answer that? Remember Pavlov's dog, say anything and government, and the wingnut goes bonkers? meanwhile the Japanese government and suppliers, as well today as the Koreans, support each other and work together. And many wingnuts then support Japan and its government by purchasing Japanese. How bizarre the right has become. And they wonder why they are losers.

Shop local and buy American.

Buy American = "Because Ford, GM and Chrysler conduct far more of their research, design, engineering, manufacturing and assembly work in the U.S. than foreign automakers do, buying a Ford, GM, or Chrysler supports almost three times as many jobs as buying the average foreign automobile. Some comparisons are even more striking. Buying a Ford supports 3.5 times more jobs than buying a Hyundai. Comparing a Honda and a Hyundai? Buying a Honda supports more than 2 times more jobs." The Level Field Institute

"In corporate culture, keiretsu refers to a uniquely Japanese form of corporate organization. A keiretsu is a grouping or family of affiliated companies that form a tight-knit alliance to work toward each other's mutual success. The keiretsu system is also based on an intimate partnership between government and businesses. It can best be understood as the intricate web of relationships that links banks, manufacturers, suppliers, and distributors with the Japanese government." What is keiretsu? - Definition from Whatis.com

EDIT

This was a recent in-depth interview and it touches on the topic of innovation and progress in technology. Worth a listen when you have time.

http://www.c-spanvideo.org/program/StevenJ

“This is not the wisdom of the crowd, but the wisdom of someone in the crowd. It’s not that the network itself is smart; it’s that the individuals get smarter because they’re connected to the network.” Steven Johnson, Where Good Ideas Come From: The Natural History of Innovation http://www.goodreads.com/author/quotes/1563.Steven_Johnson

Last edited:
I do shop local and buy American.

I bought a 74 Ford F-100 from my neighbor...can't get more local or American than that.

Paid $900, and I can fix it myself...should be able to keep it going for another 38 years.

That leaves me $49,000 to do something else...like buy another house.

Why do wingnuts on the right hate American technology? Can anyone answer that? Remember Pavlov's dog, say anything and government, and the wingnut goes bonkers? meanwhile the Japanese government and suppliers, as well today as the Koreans, support each other and work together. And many wingnuts then support Japan and its government by purchasing Japanese. How bizarre the right has become. And they wonder why they are losers.

Shop local and buy American.

Buy American = "Because Ford, GM and Chrysler conduct far more of their research, design, engineering, manufacturing and assembly work in the U.S. than foreign automakers do, buying a Ford, GM, or Chrysler supports almost three times as many jobs as buying the average foreign automobile. Some comparisons are even more striking. Buying a Ford supports 3.5 times more jobs than buying a Hyundai. Comparing a Honda and a Hyundai? Buying a Honda supports more than 2 times more jobs." The Level Field Institute

"In corporate culture, keiretsu refers to a uniquely Japanese form of corporate organization. A keiretsu is a grouping or family of affiliated companies that form a tight-knit alliance to work toward each other's mutual success. The keiretsu system is also based on an intimate partnership between government and businesses. It can best be understood as the intricate web of relationships that links banks, manufacturers, suppliers, and distributors with the Japanese government." What is keiretsu? - Definition from Whatis.com

EDIT

This was a recent in-depth interview and it touches on the topic of innovation and progress in technology. Worth a listen when you have time.

In Depth with Steven Johnson - C-SPAN Video Library

“This is not the wisdom of the crowd, but the wisdom of someone in the crowd. It’s not that the network itself is smart; it’s that the individuals get smarter because they’re connected to the network.” Steven Johnson, Where Good Ideas Come From: The Natural History of Innovation Steven Johnson Quotes (Author of The Ghost Map)

We are anti technology that sucks. Do try and learn the difference.

tbh, Tesla doesn't deserve it.

It's like giving Lamborghini, McLaren, or Ferarri the award.

1. That car cost waaay too much
2. It only get so much mileage until the batteries are done
3. Fire hazard/batteries are at HUGE risk of breaking

It's nothing worthy of an award like this.

Model S is $50,000 Seats five and with gas at $3.00 + a gallon + tune ups and oil changes this is a good value. If one commutes only 20 miles a day, RT, it is a great deal.

So how many do you own?

It looks like a good deal, if you have more money than sense, this is not your only car, and there is never a wide spread power failure where you live

Yep, there was. When Houston based Enron manipulated the electrical grid we had several periods of power failures. But, I'm sure you don't want to go there. As for the rest of your bullshit, it too is bullshit.

The auto isn't practical for an everyday family car.....it's just too restricted for the distance. I can only imagine the headache it would be on a vacation.
It's a thumbs up on a politically correct auto, but I have never been a politically correct type of person.
They'll think of a way to plug in at night at motels, and charge you $39.95 a night for using $14.00 worth of electricity, probably. Or say "free ethernet service with fill-up". Cheesy, I know, but making money usually has its cheesy side.

Installations at hotels will be expensive, but profitable for installers, and hotels will be able to pay them off in half a season.

Of course, they'll have to install trees that grow money so people can just use the money that grows on trees to pay for it. :lol:

ok

what the heck

I like it

its a beautiful thing to behold .... to drive ... no electricity so far ...

I have no problems with it ....:eusa_angel:

Ferrari anybody?

beautiful baby!

ferrariphotos.jpg

Give me something I can use, something that makes sense...and SAVES me money...I'll buy it.

Until then, you're just whistlin' Dixie.

Took my dad and one of my sons to the SF Auto Show today. Lots of EV's and Hybrids - nearly evey auto maker has several on display. Enough to make a reactionary cry.

ok

what the heck

I like it

Ferrari anybody?

beautiful baby!

ferrariphotos.jpg
And much cheaper than the Tesla.

I don't know what is Tesla ... and I don't own a Ferrari .... I simply like the look of it!

I like the look of Porsche cars too. I also like Range Rover Vague ... I like the style and the design.

ok

what the heck

I like it

Ferrari anybody?

beautiful baby!

ferrariphotos.jpg

I don't know what is Tesla ... and I don't own a Ferrari .... I simply like the look of it!

I like the look of Porsche cars too. I also like Range Rover Vague ... I like the style and the design.
It's the car in the OP.

ok

what the heck

I like it

Ferrari anybody?

beautiful baby!

ferrariphotos.jpg

There isn't enough room to list all the cars I like. LOL! But, I will say one thing, at least it looks like some of the electric cars are moving away from the pregnant roller skate or cardboard box look...which is good. I also understand they're installing sound devices for those who just can't live without that big engine roar. Kind of boring putting around in a car that does nothing but...whoooooossshhhhhhh. It's gotta' go...VROOOM! VROOOOOOOM! Next, I suspect they'll be installing devices that produce the smell of methane, for those drag racers.

Forum List

Back