Motor Trend Car of the Year

Any of you wackadoddles ever driven an all electric car (or even a hybrid)?

I don't understand the animosity of the wackadoddles to new technology and American engineering.
There are terabytes of things you don't understand.

We don't object to new technology and American engineering. We object to tax dollars being wasted on crap technology.

Tesla Motors, based in Palo Alto, Calif. and founded in 2003, made headlines when it created the first all-electric sports car, the Tesla Roadster. Tesla calls the Model S the "world's first premium electric sedan," and is priced at $49,900 to $97,900, based on battery options and upgrades.

Despite the increasing options of electric and hybrid cars, President Obama's hope of having one million electric cars on the road by 2015 seems to be a daunting goal. Through September, electric vehicle sales since 2011 yielded fewer than 50,000 cars, or 5 percent of the goal, according to the San Francisco Chronicle.

"Electric vehicle sales are going to be on the rise simply because there are more available," Loh said. "I know Leaf has faced a couple challenges. They're trying to figure out how to reach the Midwest and some places in rural environments where the charging infrastructure is problematic."

The Tesla S has three battery choices-40 kWh, 60 kWh, and 85 kWh. Travelling at 55 mph, the kWh figures can be translated to the stated range capabilities of 160, 230, and 300 miles, respectively, according to the manufacturer's website. The firm plans to make 20,000 of the cars next year.

I don't understand the animosity of the wackadoddles to new technology and American engineering.

To own one, you have to be able to afford one.

BUT before that, you have to own a house, and be able to afford that EXPENSIVE changes that will need to be made.

So, when do you think the mandate will come out?

BUT before that, you have to own a house, and be able to afford that EXPENSIVE changes that will need to be made.

I suggest you try working.

I suggest you try working.

Can you afford one?

LMAO, I so wanted to put this thread in the flame zone and name names.

Motor Trend Car of the Year Surprise - Yahoo! News
It's a helluva car. I saw it on TV, too. Great mileage, but cons prefer gas guzzlers.

Intelligent people prefer cars that work when the power is out for a week.

Good point. I wonder how many folks who've endured the effects of Hurricane Sandy have electric vehicles of which can't be driven due to sustained power outages which interferes with their ability to charge them? But, then again, I guess many folks were having problems getting gas for their cars...too. But, I suspect getting fuel is somewhat easier than getting electricity that is just plain and simply out.

They have sold 2500 cars in four years.

I wonder how long they will stay in the market.

Those folks most likely couldn't get gasoline either. It takes electricity to pump gas.

No it doesn't. A hand-cranked pump would work just fine. Next, you're going to say it takes electricity to pump water from a well. LOL!

pulling-away-o.gif

Those folks most likely couldn't get gasoline either. It takes electricity to pump gas.

No it doesn't. A hand-cranked pump would work just fine. Next, you're going to say it takes electricity to pump water from a well. LOL!

pulling-away-o.gif

Do you know a lot of gas stations with hand pumps? Do you still have a water pump?

They cost less than $20, do you know any reason a gas station wouldn't have one, other than not being able to actually pay people to pump gas?

pulling-away-o.gif

Do you know a lot of gas stations with hand pumps? Do you still have a water pump?

I suspect I could find a hand pump fairly easy and, if I couldn't, I could make one easy enough. And, if all else failed, I could just simply syphon gas out with a hose. Geez, I hope you don't ever have to face life without all the fancy conveniences, you'd be doomed. It appears MacGyver you are not. Give me some duct tape, a hammer and a few clothes pins and I could probably get that pump to work without electricity. LOL!

Last edited:

pulling-away-o.gif

Oh, and by the way? Yeah, I've got a water pump. One is on my car and I have about two or three others in my shed. All I'd have to do is figure out a way to attach a lever to it long enough to get a good swing and...walla, you'd have a gas pump, water pump or, whatever the hell else you want pump. Might be kind of slow going doing the pumping but, it would work in a pinch. Now, however, the ones in my shed are the older style water pumps while the one on my car is an open-ended pump so, if I were to use the one on my car, I'd have to figure out a way to close the portion which has the impellers on it. But, I'm sure, I could figure out a way.

Forum List

Back