Mormon bias still part of politics

Salt Jones

Rookie
Mar 22, 2011
As someone who lives in a highly Mormon populated area of the Phoenix metro valley, I hear and see anti-Mormon bias a lot. People out here fear the power of the Mormon Church and I don't think Romney nor Huntsman will be elected president due in a very large part to their Mormon faith.

"Two Republican contenders, former governors Mitt Romney of Massachusetts and Jon Huntsman of Utah, have sought to downplay the prejudice in presidential politics.
But a potential impact is hard to ignore: More than one in five Americans say they would not vote for a Mormon -- a figure that has changed only slightly since the question was first asked in 1967, according to Gallup polls.
John Green, a political scientist at the University of Akron in Ohio, said he believes Romney's campaign four years ago was undermined by anti-Mormon votes in key primary states, and LDS candidates face similar challenges this year.
Dan Peterson, a Mormon and a professor at Brigham Young University in Utah, noted that presidential races are decided by slim margins in many states, and the anti-LDS factor looms in the background for Romney and Huntsman."

And this would be a bad thing, why?

I'm an atheist, and I would never vote for a Mormon because I think their beliefs are crazy, their religion is a fraud, and they don't seem to understand that there is a line in our constitution between Church and State.

They said the same thing about Kennedy. "We can't elect him, he's a Catholic who will hand the country over to Rome!"

Was bullshit then. It is bullshit now. I have no issue with voting for a Mormon.

• Banned

I'm an atheist, and I would never vote for a Mormon because I think their beliefs are crazy, their religion is a fraud, and they don't seem to understand that there is a line in our constitution between Church and State.

Can you prove atheism? Do you vote for "Christians"?

• Banned
They said the same thing about Kennedy. "We can't elect him, he's a Catholic who will hand the country over to Rome!"

Was bullshit then. It is bullshit now. I have no issue with voting for a Mormon.

Romney's own son said that Mormonism was the reason he lost in 2008. The southerners wouldn't vote for a Mormon.

Can you prove atheism? Do you vote for "Christians"?

Already have. Prayed for my mom's cancer to get better. It didn't.

No God. Never was.

But I'm enough of a realist to know Americans are the most supersitious and backwards people in the industrialized world, and we'd never elect an atheist. In fact 49% of Americans would not vote for an atheist, so I would never want the GOP to nominate an atheist.

Oh, but 22% wouldn't vote for a MOrmon according to the same poll. So that would be a bad idea, too, for the GOP.

Romney's own son said that Mormonism was the reason he lost in 2008. The southerners wouldn't vote for a Mormon.

And yet he's running again. Did the southerners change their minds in 4 years?

It seems to me that if you know your religion is going to make your party lose, you don't run when we have this much at stake.

Of course you don't... you have no problem chucking conservative values out the window because you hate Obama so much.

Of course, the two things aren't comparable.

For every Protestant a--hole who was unwilling to vote for a Catholic, there was a Catholic who was. There are not enough Mormons to make up for all the Evangelicals who won't vote for Romney.

Incidently, Kennedy nearly lost. To Tricky Dick. The margin was less than the voter fraud in Chicago.

Of course, I see it as completely different. We all know that JFK wouldn't have taken orders from the Pope.

But would Romney take orders from the Mormon Prophet? Probably...

080101super_mitt_romney.jpg

When he was governor of MA he didn't turn MA mormon.

I think we're pretty safe.

And the very fact you are out here praising him is reason enough why Conservatives shouldn't vote for the guy.
That's what you call praise?

tff!

I love his hair though, I'll give you that.

I notice you libs never seem to criticize the guy. Ever.

Which tells me that either...

1) He's a Republican you can live with.

or

2) You know his religion, flip-flopping, and lack of humanity are fatal flaws that will make it easy for Hussein to win despite his failures.

As someone who lives in a highly Mormon populated area of the Phoenix metro valley, I hear and see anti-Mormon bias a lot. People out here fear the power of the Mormon Church and I don't think Romney nor Huntsman will be elected president due in a very large part to their Mormon faith.

"Two Republican contenders, former governors Mitt Romney of Massachusetts and Jon Huntsman of Utah, have sought to downplay the prejudice in presidential politics.
But a potential impact is hard to ignore: More than one in five Americans say they would not vote for a Mormon -- a figure that has changed only slightly since the question was first asked in 1967, according to Gallup polls.
John Green, a political scientist at the University of Akron in Ohio, said he believes Romney's campaign four years ago was undermined by anti-Mormon votes in key primary states, and LDS candidates face similar challenges this year.
Dan Peterson, a Mormon and a professor at Brigham Young University in Utah, noted that presidential races are decided by slim margins in many states, and the anti-LDS factor looms in the background for Romney and Huntsman."

You've discovered Romney's Achilles-heel, and most likely why the press is laying off of him.

Romney is benefiting from a hands-off policy from the media because all Obama has to do to bring him down is send the ATF after some compound in Utah or Texas and start arresting Mormons, accusing them of child molestation. I'd be willing to bet he already has the target picked out. He might wait till September next year and hatch his little October Surprise.

Course the LDS thing isn't a problem for Harry Reid (he's a Mormon too) because he's a Democrat and not enough people know his religion. Nancy Pelosi is a Catholic but she never catches hell for being a member of the Church of Catholic Priests who molest little boys.

Last edited:

Of course you don't... you have no problem chucking conservative values out the window because you hate Obama so much.

For every Protestant a--hole who was unwilling to vote for a Catholic, there was a Catholic who was. There are not enough Mormons to make up for all the Evangelicals who won't vote for Romney.

Incidently, Kennedy nearly lost. To Tricky Dick. The margin was less than the voter fraud in Chicago.

Of course, I see it as completely different. We all know that JFK wouldn't have taken orders from the Pope.

Unlike you, I don't overly emotional hyperbole and bullshit. I don't 'hate' Obama. I disagree with his politics.

Your hysterical 'hatred' and silly, childish pics put you on a par with MarcATL - both moronic twits.

I'm not overly enamored with Romney - but I might vote for him. At least, I'm rational enough to give it some considered thought... rather than dismissing him out of hand because he's a Mormon. In fact, what might stop me voting for him is that he is a Republican. :eek:

Unlike you, I don't overly emotional hyperbole and bullshit. I don't 'hate' Obama. I disagree with his politics.

Your hysterical 'hatred' and silly, childish pics put you on a par with MarcATL - both moronic twits.

I'm not overly enamored with Romney - but I might vote for him. At least, I'm rational enough to give it some considered thought... rather than dismissing him out of hand because he's a Mormon. In fact, what might stop me voting for him is that he is a Republican. :eek:

His religion doesn't matter to me.

I don't like the way he turned the debates into a bitching contest knowing full well that it would make all of them look bad.

I also can't stand Michelle Bachmann for the same reasons.

Well, even if he wasn't a Mormon, there's the liberalism, the flip-flopping, the slimy business practices, that would be equally big deal killers.

But for me, Mormonism is enough to pretty much put him out of contention. I've dealt with those people, and they creep me the fuck out. That's a considered, rational thought. He has personally chosen to believe and support an evil cult based on lies and started by a child-molesting con man.

romney-mormonator.jpg

His religion doesn't matter to me.

I don't like the way he turned the debates into a bitching contest knowing full well that it would make all of them look bad.

I also can't stand Michelle Bachmann for the same reasons.

I've managed to avoid most of the debates - thankfully. :lol:

I'm not overly interested in it until the field narrows into some serious candidates. At that stage, I'll do my own homework and decide.

Well, even if he wasn't a Mormon, there's the liberalism, the flip-flopping, the slimy business practices, that would be equally big deal killers.

But for me, Mormonism is enough to pretty much put him out of contention. I've dealt with those people, and they creep me the fuck out. That's a considered, rational thought. He has personally chosen to believe and support an evil cult based on lies and started by a child-molesting con man.

romney-mormonator.jpg

He must really be a Muslim then.

Honestly, I have little respect for your opinions anyway. You show very little intellect. If you're looking for a 'perfect' candidate, good luck with it.... Personally, I prefer my politicians to be rational, honest, and open. Which is why I rarely support either side.

You've discovered Romney's Achilles-heel, and most likely why the press is laying off of him.

Romney is benefiting from a hands-off policy from the media because all Obama has to do to bring him down is send the ATF after some compound in Utah or Texas and start arresting Mormons, accusing them of child molestation. I'd be willing to bet he already has the target picked out. He might wait till September next year and hatch his little October Surprise.

Course the LDS thing isn't a problem for Harry Reid (he's a Mormon too) because he's a Democrat and not enough people know his religion. Nancy Pelosi is a Catholic but she never catches hell for being a member of the Church of Catholic Priests who molest little boys.

Well, technically, those would be LDS Splinter groups. While Joseph Smith and Brigham Young were all about molesting kids and polygamy, modern Mormons have totally stopped doing those things in the hope to get invited to the interfaith pancake breakfast.

But, yeah, I suspect that Obama's already got that planned, to take out some group like the FLDS who are still doing that.

Forum List

Back