Mormon bias still part of politics

Six months from now you'll be here making cracks about "Magic underpants", just like I do.

Making jokes about it isn't the same as not voting for him because of it. I would vote for a Mormon candidate if I agreed with his or her positions and policies.

I'll go even one further...I would vote for a polygamist Mormon if I agreed with their positions and policies (huge fan of Big Love :D ).

I think the media knows there is a strong evangelical Christian bias against Mormons but they try to pretend it doesn't exist. I see it first hand working in the conservative leaning defense industry here in Arizona. I've had coworkers chastise me for buying my car from a "Mormon" dealership, witnessed some of the nastiest comments made about Mormon coworkers the minute they leave the room and we even had a issue of people saying that my local school district was only hiring Mormon teachers in a city of over 400,000 residents. It was easy to disprove, but since every high school or college has a Mormon learning center across the street or on campus, people believed.

They said the same thing about Kennedy. "We can't elect him, he's a Catholic who will hand the country over to Rome!"

Was bullshit then. It is bullshit now. I have no issue with voting for a Mormon.

Romney's own son said that Mormonism was the reason he lost in 2008. The southerners wouldn't vote for a Mormon.

they'd vote for moroms over barock hussein obamaie so freaking fast it'll make yer freaking head spin round and round.

They said the same thing about Kennedy. "We can't elect him, he's a Catholic who will hand the country over to Rome!"

Was bullshit then. It is bullshit now. I have no issue with voting for a Mormon.

Romney's own son said that Mormonism was the reason he lost in 2008. The southerners wouldn't vote for a Mormon.

they'd vote for moroms over barock hussein obamaie so freaking fast it'll make yer freaking head spin round and round.

They won't vote for president. Watch and learn.

They won't vote for president. Watch and learn.

we need a President. We don't have one now.

Sure, sure.:cuckoo:

What are you going to do when Barack Hussein Obama wins reelection to the presidency in Nov 2012? Keep pretending we don't have a president?

What are you going to do when he loses? Or are you depending on these guys?

12 former officials indicted for voter fraud - Live, Local, Late Breaking news, weather, and sports

They are all black, what do you want to bet they are all democrats too.

we need a President. We don't have one now.

Sure, sure.:cuckoo:

What are you going to do when Barack Hussein Obama wins reelection to the presidency in Nov 2012? Keep pretending we don't have a president?

What are you going to do when he loses? Or are you depending on these guys?

12 former officials indicted for voter fraud - Live, Local, Late Breaking news, weather, and sports

They are all black, what do you want to bet they are all democrats too.

He won't lose, but if he did; I'd get up Wednesday morning go to work and keep pushing on. Who's president has no bearing on what I achieve in my life.

As someone who lives in a highly Mormon populated area of the Phoenix metro valley, I hear and see anti-Mormon bias a lot. People out here fear the power of the Mormon Church and I don't think Romney nor Huntsman will be elected president due in a very large part to their Mormon faith.

"Two Republican contenders, former governors Mitt Romney of Massachusetts and Jon Huntsman of Utah, have sought to downplay the prejudice in presidential politics.
But a potential impact is hard to ignore: More than one in five Americans say they would not vote for a Mormon -- a figure that has changed only slightly since the question was first asked in 1967, according to Gallup polls.
John Green, a political scientist at the University of Akron in Ohio, said he believes Romney's campaign four years ago was undermined by anti-Mormon votes in key primary states, and LDS candidates face similar challenges this year.
Dan Peterson, a Mormon and a professor at Brigham Young University in Utah, noted that presidential races are decided by slim margins in many states, and the anti-LDS factor looms in the background for Romney and Huntsman."

You've discovered Romney's Achilles-heel, and most likely why the press is laying off of him.

Romney is benefiting from a hands-off policy from the media because all Obama has to do to bring him down is send the ATF after some compound in Utah or Texas and start arresting Mormons, accusing them of child molestation. I'd be willing to bet he already has the target picked out. He might wait till September next year and hatch his little October Surprise.
Course the LDS thing isn't a problem for Harry Reid (he's a Mormon too) because he's a Democrat and not enough people know his religion. Nancy Pelosi is a Catholic but she never catches hell for being a member of the Church of Catholic Priests who molest little boys.

:cuckoo:

You're projecting your bigotry on people that don't care that he's a mormon.

Six months from now you'll be here making cracks about "Magic underpants", just like I do.

So, you have no evidence that I am a racist. Hyperbolic bullshit is so tedious.

You are dismissed as nothing more than race baiting fool.

oh, I'm sorry, did you think I was still paying attention to you?

I've been at work, doing something productive all day... try it some time.

Baloney..."libs" criticize Romney plenty. They don't come much more liberal than me and I've criticized Reversible Mittens. Just wait until Willard "Flip" Romney is the nominee and you'll see plenty of criticizin' goin' on.

It won't be his magic underpants we'll be hitting him on, however...it will be his policies. (and his, ever fluid, positions)

If after 5 years you can still claim conservatives moderates and independents won't vote for Obama because they are racist then we can claim you won't vote for Romney cause he is a Mormon.

Um, sure, okay...:eusa_eh:

I'm pretty sure it's the conservative Evangelicals that won't be voting for him because of his religion (even though they both worship the same Jew), not the liberals.

Good luck with your attempts though!

Actually, polls have shown that while 18% of republicans won't vote for a Mormon for president, 27% of Democrats won't, either.

In U.S., 22% Are Hesitant to Support a Mormon in 2012

So liberals don't really like them, either.

If after 5 years you can still claim conservatives moderates and independents won't vote for Obama because they are racist then we can claim you won't vote for Romney cause he is a Mormon.

I'm pretty sure it's the conservative Evangelicals that won't be voting for him because of his religion (even though they both worship the same Jew), not the liberals.

Actually, polls have shown that while 18% of republicans won't vote for a Mormon for president, 27% of Democrats won't, either.

More people would vote for a Mormon than vote for a liberal.

Your version of 'debunked' and mine require very different standards. Your opinion is not 'debunking', it is having a different opinion. Idiot.

And, the neg you're about to receive.... that's for calling me a racist. Idiot.

Well, you are a racist. Learn to deal.

And debunked is bringing forth facts, figures and numbers, which I've done.

There were more Catholics than anti-Catholics in 1960, and Kennedy very nearly lost an election he should have won easily.

Not to mention we've never elected another Catholic...

OK. I'll play.... exactly what evidence do you have for your claim that I am a racist?

Yes.

You're a racist because ...

... you don't hate Mormons like he does.

????????????????????????????

They once said that about a black person too ...

Not even comparable.

I go back to my point. The barrier gets there because of where the numbers are.

In 1960, the percentage who said they wouldn't vote for a Catholic was 18%, but Catholics made up 25% of the population. So for every person who said they would throw a switch against a Catholic, there was a Catholic who would throw one for him and then some.

And the end result was that JFK still only won the popular vote by virture of Chicago vote fraud. Nixon probably got more votes. He only beat Nixon by 120,000 votes out of 70 million cast. (The electoral College is bit dicier)

Similarly, the amount of people who say they won't vote for a black right now is about 5%. Blacks make up 14% of the population. Again, the wills outnumber the won'ts...

For Mormons, 22% of us won't vote for one. But Mormons still only make up (thankfully) 2% of the population. Simply put, the votes you lose more than exceed the votes you gain.

Now, if you want to nominate Romney to show what a good, tolerant person you are, go ahead.

And when Obama cruises to a second term, don't come whining to me about it.

Well, you are a racist. Learn to deal.

And debunked is bringing forth facts, figures and numbers, which I've done.

There were more Catholics than anti-Catholics in 1960, and Kennedy very nearly lost an election he should have won easily.

Not to mention we've never elected another Catholic...

OK. I'll play.... exactly what evidence do you have for your claim that I am a racist?

Yes.

You're a racist because ...

... you don't hate Mormons like he does.

????????????????????????????

And all the times she's been caught doing it..

But to the point, if you have a choice between Romney and Obama, who are essentially the same guy, except only one of them is "white and delightsome" as it says in the book of Mormon.... what does that say?

Race is your only motivation.

I on the other hand am clear. I don't vote for people who belong to cults started by pedophiles. So Mormons are off the list, but so are Branch Davidians and Scientologists.

More people would vote for a Mormon than vote for a liberal.

Or a Conservative... but that isn't the point, is it?

The point is, if you have 22% who won't vote for a Mormon, and that cuts across all party lines, then whichever side nominates one is giving up 20% of his supporters before the real fight, between a Conservative and a Liberal, really begins.

Of course, if we nominate Romney, we are just picking the lesser of two liberals, and Donald Trump is making noises if the GOP doesn't nominate the right guy, he's running as an independent.

Donald Trump's Presidential 'Threat' Makes GOP Look Pathetic | The Stir

As someone who lives in a highly Mormon populated area of the Phoenix metro valley, I hear and see anti-Mormon bias a lot. People out here fear the power of the Mormon Church and I don't think Romney nor Huntsman will be elected president due in a very large part to their Mormon faith.

"Two Republican contenders, former governors Mitt Romney of Massachusetts and Jon Huntsman of Utah, have sought to downplay the prejudice in presidential politics.
But a potential impact is hard to ignore: More than one in five Americans say they would not vote for a Mormon -- a figure that has changed only slightly since the question was first asked in 1967, according to Gallup polls.
John Green, a political scientist at the University of Akron in Ohio, said he believes Romney's campaign four years ago was undermined by anti-Mormon votes in key primary states, and LDS candidates face similar challenges this year.
Dan Peterson, a Mormon and a professor at Brigham Young University in Utah, noted that presidential races are decided by slim margins in many states, and the anti-LDS factor looms in the background for Romney and Huntsman."

If the race comes down to Romney versus Obama, and if Romney loses because too much of the country is like JoeB, then we deserve Obama.

For me the GOP race is between Romney and Newt. Both bring baggage yet both would wage an interesting race against Obama.

If it's Romney and if the vote goes against him because he's Mormon, then our nation is in even more trouble than I thought.

Time will tell.

I doubt Mitt can beat Obama... It will be close. Mitt's "base" (lol) would consider not showing up to vote if it were a chilly 68 degrees out... The party just does not care about him and that will be a lot of vote missing.

Mitt is also very pro war as of last night, he will lose the independent vote and gain nothing from Dems.

Forum List

Back