Mitt Romney’s misleading attack ad

Synthaholic

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2010

*snip*

If you listen to Romney’s ad, you hear the president say this:

If you’ve been successful, you didn’t get there on your own. You didn’t get there on your own. I’m always struck by people who think, well, it must be ’cause I was just so smart. There are a lot of smart people out there. It must be because I worked harder than everybody else. Let me tell you something: If you’ve got a business, you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen.

Here’s what Obama actually said, with the omitted sentences in bold:

If you’ve been successful, you didn’t get there on your own. You didn’t get there on your own. I’m always struck by people who think, well, it must be ‘cause I was just so smart. There are a lot of smart people out there. It must be because I worked harder than everybody else. Let me tell you something: There are a whole bunch of hardworking people out there. If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help. There was a great teacher somewhere in your life. Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you’ve got a business, you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen.

So, in Romney’s ad, “that” refers to “building a business.” In Obama’s remarks, “that” refers to the roads and bridges.

My point on “Morning Joe” was that the media has gotten into a pattern where we listen to presidential candidates say the same thing a dozen, a hundred, a thousand times, and then the one time they stumble over their words or phrase their point inartfully, we jump all over them. It has happened to both Romney and Obama during this cycle. Repeatedly.

What I didn’t say, but perhaps should have, is that once we in the media deem something to be a “gaffe,” the normal rules of journalism cease to apply, and we begin running and rerunning the attack ads that relate to the gaffe, and playing clips of surrogates mocking the gaffe, and so on.

All this is done, in part, to retroactively justify the coverage of the initial comment: “See, we told you this would be a big deal, and now it is a big deal.” But that is, of course, self-fulfilling, as we have made it a big deal — and have handed the opposing campaign a reason to make it a big deal — by giving it wall-to-wall coverage. In doing, we create an incentive for both campaigns to engage in more of this kind of behavior, to make more of these kinds of ads. We are, in effect, encouraging a race to the bottom.

*snip*

We all heard the idiot speak. we know what he said and we know what he meant, he shot himself in the ass and you cannot walk it back now. so fuck off.

BFD, Obama managed to p*ss off enough small business owners to swing their vote the other way. He can't back track what he said, he hates business unless they donate to his campaign. Heck he hates the very premise that created the America we knew, he campaigned on "fundamentally changing" it.

We all heard the idiot speak. we know what he said and we know what he meant, he shot himself in the ass and you cannot walk it back now. so fuck off.

That's the lib problem. We all really did hear what obama had to say which is why he can't wiggle out of it now.

Bottom line is we all owe the government everything.

That's the lib problem. We all really did hear what obama had to say which is why he can't wiggle out of it now.

Bottom line is we all owe the government everything.

Government and Unions.............can't forget them. :D

*snip*

If you’ve been successful, you didn’t get there on your own. You didn’t get there on your own. I’m always struck by people who think, well, it must be ’cause I was just so smart. There are a lot of smart people out there. It must be because I worked harder than everybody else. Let me tell you something: If you’ve got a bSynthaholicusiness, you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen.

If you’ve been successful, you didn’t get there on your own. You didn’t get there on your own. I’m always struck by people who think, well, it must be ‘cause I was just so smart. There are a lot of smart people out there. It must be because I worked harder than everybody else. Let me tell you something: There are a whole bunch of hardworking people out there. If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help. There was a great teacher somewhere in your life. Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you’ve got a business, you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen.

So, in Romney’s ad, “that” refers to “building a business.” In Obama’s remarks, “that” refers to the roads and bridges.

My point on “Morning Joe” was that the media has gotten into a pattern where we listen to presidential candidates say the same thing a dozen, a hundred, a thousand times, and then the one time they stumble over their words or phrase their point inartfully, we jump all over them. It has happened to both Romney and Obama during this cycle. Repeatedly.

What I didn’t say, but perhaps should have, is that once we in the media deem something to be a “gaffe,” the normal rules of journalism cease to apply, and we begin running and rerunning the attack ads that relate to the gaffe, and playing clips of surrogates mocking the gaffe, and so on.

All this is done, in part, to retroactively justify the coverage of the initial comment: “See, we told you this would be a big deal, and now it is a big deal.” But that is, of course, self-fulfilling, as we have made it a big deal — and have handed the opposing campaign a reason to make it a big deal — by giving it wall-to-wall coverage. In doing, we create an incentive for both campaigns to engage in more of this kind of behavior, to make more of these kinds of ads. We are, in effect, encouraging a race to the bottom.

*snip*

Everyone has had teachers and the benefit of roads anfd bridges. So what sets the small business owner apart from the rest. The individual himself. The drive and determination and putting everything they have on the line. The gamble it took. NO, they did it themselves. The government wasn't there to say put everything you have and I guarantee you'll be a success. Someone believed in the small business owner. It was him.

But you're stupid, Dirty Granny. You need things repeated to you, or it goes right out of your addled brain. That's why I posted the transcript.

How many times did they tell you to not poop in your diaper unless it was an absolute emergency? You needed that re-enforced a few times, right?

Same thing.

But you're stupid, Dirty Granny. You need things repeated to you, or it goes right out of your addled brain. That's why I posted the transcript.

How many times did they tell you to not poop in your diaper unless it was an absolute emergency? You needed that re-enforced a few times, right?

Same thing.

go fuck your cabbage.

Libs still making excuses for Obama's dumb ass comment.

Obama's whole speech was about how wealthy successful people don't deserve what they earned, the Obama followers deserve it so they (the successful) need to be taxed more.

It was yet another divide and conquer speech from the Marxist-in-Chief.

One would rather hear Romney’s plans to heal the economy and create jobs as opposed to his attempt to portray the president as a ‘commie.’

Romney’s attack is evidence that he has no plans to heal the economy and create jobs, given the fact Obama is not responsible for current economic conditions, and Romney would realize no greater success if he were president.

Consequently voters are subject to this childish and inane name-calling.

The OP proves that Mormons are A-OK with lying.

See? Not a real Christian religion. Just another cult.

obama doesn't deserve to be president. Someone else made that happen. He owes it to George Washington, Thomas Jefferson and Benjamin Franklin, better men than himself. They made it happen.

The OP proves that Mormons are A-OK with lying.

See? Not a real Christian religion. Just another cult.

Only in your own little world is he "lying". He is quoting the President. You just can't handle it because it makes the Hussein look like an idiot. Well that's too bad maybe he needs to stick to the teleprompter, it's not Romney's fault.

man how desperate is the Obama campaign getting

pay for a ad telling the people, you all didn't really hear what you heard..

Libs still making excuses for Obama's dumb ass comment.

Obama's whole speech was about how wealthy successful people don't deserve what they earned, the Obama followers deserve it so they (the successful) need to be taxed more.

It was yet another divide and conquer speech from the Marxist-in-Chief.

Exactly!!

:clap2:

*snip*

If you’ve been successful, you didn’t get there on your own. You didn’t get there on your own. I’m always struck by people who think, well, it must be ’cause I was just so smart. There are a lot of smart people out there. It must be because I worked harder than everybody else. Let me tell you something: If you’ve got a business, you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen.

*snip*

You obviously flunked 7th grade English.

'That' is a pronoun which is used in this instance as a substitute for 'business.'

One would rather hear Romney’s plans to heal the economy and create jobs as opposed to his attempt to portray the president as a ‘commie.’

Romney’s attack is evidence that he has no plans to heal the economy and create jobs, given the fact Obama is not responsible for current economic conditions, and Romney would realize no greater success if he were president.

Obama is not responsible for current economic conditions? Just what has he supposed to be doing the last three and half years?

Obama is not responsible for current economic conditions? Just what has he supposed to be doing the last three and half years?

He's been learning since he had no idea what to do. I guess it's time for the, "I told you so". His inexperience is prolonging this recession, he needs to go!!

Forum List

Back