Mitt Romney’s misleading attack ad

*snip*

If you listen to Romney’s ad, you hear the president say this:

If you’ve been successful, you didn’t get there on your own. You didn’t get there on your own. I’m always struck by people who think, well, it must be ’cause I was just so smart. There are a lot of smart people out there. It must be because I worked harder than everybody else. Let me tell you something: If you’ve got a business, you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen.

Here’s what Obama actually said, with the omitted sentences in bold:

If you’ve been successful, you didn’t get there on your own. You didn’t get there on your own. I’m always struck by people who think, well, it must be ‘cause I was just so smart. There are a lot of smart people out there. It must be because I worked harder than everybody else. Let me tell you something: There are a whole bunch of hardworking people out there. If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help. There was a great teacher somewhere in your life. Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you’ve got a business, you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen.

So, in Romney’s ad, “that” refers to “building a business.” In Obama’s remarks, “that” refers to the roads and bridges.

My point on “Morning Joe” was that the media has gotten into a pattern where we listen to presidential candidates say the same thing a dozen, a hundred, a thousand times, and then the one time they stumble over their words or phrase their point inartfully, we jump all over them. It has happened to both Romney and Obama during this cycle. Repeatedly.

What I didn’t say, but perhaps should have, is that once we in the media deem something to be a “gaffe,” the normal rules of journalism cease to apply, and we begin running and rerunning the attack ads that relate to the gaffe, and playing clips of surrogates mocking the gaffe, and so on.

All this is done, in part, to retroactively justify the coverage of the initial comment: “See, we told you this would be a big deal, and now it is a big deal.” But that is, of course, self-fulfilling, as we have made it a big deal — and have handed the opposing campaign a reason to make it a big deal — by giving it wall-to-wall coverage. In doing, we create an incentive for both campaigns to engage in more of this kind of behavior, to make more of these kinds of ads. We are, in effect, encouraging a race to the bottom.

*snip*

since obamas ads were debunked about Bain werent his ads misleading as well?

The OP proves that Mormons are A-OK with lying.

See? Not a real Christian religion. Just another cult.

The OP proves what ?

Do I then to get to say that all black people are skinny, self-centered, arrogant assholes just because the black guy in the WH is ?

Talk about a fallacy.

And Christians don't lie ?

I guess God was wasting his time giving Moses the ten commandments.

One would rather hear Romney’s plans to heal the economy and create jobs as opposed to his attempt to portray the president as a ‘commie.’

Romney’s attack is evidence that he has no plans to heal the economy and create jobs, given the fact Obama is not responsible for current economic conditions, and Romney would realize no greater success if he were president.

Consequently voters are subject to this childish and inane name-calling.

The buck stops at the White House, it always has and always will.
This economy belongs to the current occupant, that person gets the credit for the good and the bad, that's how it works.
The moment a new occupant enters, is the same moment the economy becomes theirs.

One would rather hear Romney’s plans to heal the economy and create jobs as opposed to his attempt to portray the president as a ‘commie.’

Romney’s attack is evidence that he has no plans to heal the economy and create jobs, given the fact Obama is not responsible for current economic conditions, and Romney would realize no greater success if he were president.

Consequently voters are subject to this childish and inane name-calling.

The buck stops at the White House, it always has and always will.
This economy belongs to the current occupant, that person gets the credit for the good and the bad, that's how it works.
The moment a new occupant enters, is the same moment the economy becomes theirs.

Not anymore. Obama set a new precedent. Blame the previous president for ... well, amount of time is yet to be determined.

*snip*

If you listen to Romney’s ad, you hear the president say this:

If you’ve been successful, you didn’t get there on your own. You didn’t get there on your own. I’m always struck by people who think, well, it must be ’cause I was just so smart. There are a lot of smart people out there. It must be because I worked harder than everybody else. Let me tell you something: If you’ve got a business, you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen.

If you’ve been successful, you didn’t get there on your own. You didn’t get there on your own. I’m always struck by people who think, well, it must be ‘cause I was just so smart. There are a lot of smart people out there. It must be because I worked harder than everybody else. Let me tell you something: There are a whole bunch of hardworking people out there. If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help. There was a great teacher somewhere in your life. Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you’ve got a business, you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen.

So, in Romney’s ad, “that” refers to “building a business.” In Obama’s remarks, “that” refers to the roads and bridges.

My point on “Morning Joe” was that the media has gotten into a pattern where we listen to presidential candidates say the same thing a dozen, a hundred, a thousand times, and then the one time they stumble over their words or phrase their point inartfully, we jump all over them. It has happened to both Romney and Obama during this cycle. Repeatedly.

What I didn’t say, but perhaps should have, is that once we in the media deem something to be a “gaffe,” the normal rules of journalism cease to apply, and we begin running and rerunning the attack ads that relate to the gaffe, and playing clips of surrogates mocking the gaffe, and so on.

All this is done, in part, to retroactively justify the coverage of the initial comment: “See, we told you this would be a big deal, and now it is a big deal.” But that is, of course, self-fulfilling, as we have made it a big deal — and have handed the opposing campaign a reason to make it a big deal — by giving it wall-to-wall coverage. In doing, we create an incentive for both campaigns to engage in more of this kind of behavior, to make more of these kinds of ads. We are, in effect, encouraging a race to the bottom.

*snip*

You obviously flunked 7th grade English.

'That' is a pronoun which is used in this instance as a substitute for 'business.'
No... He's right... You can argue the semantics about it all you want, it's pretty damn obvious Obama was talking about the things that the business owner or business itself didn't build.

I want to make sure that it's absolutely understood by everybody here my thoughts on something like this. Someone else can't make you look stupid. Like Obama was saying that you wouldn't have a business without the rest of society, someone else can't make you look stupid unless you want to actually open your mouth and talk stupid.

Now I myself will say something stupid sooner or later I'm sure. So I'll say it's stupid, and then move on. Happens to everybody sooner or later.

No, asswipe.

Learn what a pronoun does.

Then post.

The first 2-3 sentences alone are damning evidence Obamination hates winners that aren't part of his group. He likes being in the winners group based on his skin color getting him ahead in life, but he likes to belittle people like Romney that are white and got ahead by being smarter and more productive than him.

He likes to talk down to people like Romney in front of "his people" while trying to make "those people" feel good about being losers themselves. They made themselves losers not finishing high school, getting hooked on drugs, having 4-5 kids from 5-7 fathers given which one admits it, etc.

You obviously flunked 7th grade English.

'That' is a pronoun which is used in this instance as a substitute for 'business.'
No... He's right... You can argue the semantics about it all you want, it's pretty damn obvious Obama was talking about the things that the business owner or business itself didn't build.

I want to make sure that it's absolutely understood by everybody here my thoughts on something like this. Someone else can't make you look stupid. Like Obama was saying that you wouldn't have a business without the rest of society, someone else can't make you look stupid unless you want to actually open your mouth and talk stupid.

Now I myself will say something stupid sooner or later I'm sure. So I'll say it's stupid, and then move on. Happens to everybody sooner or later.

No, asswipe.

Learn what a pronoun does.

Then post.
No... that's alright. I'm happy that you show ... yourself yet again. Zombies don't have any idea what logic is. Or context. Because... They are zombies. I'm good with that.

Romney professes to be a religious man; a man who supposedly wants to restore honor and integrity to the White House. Well, how can a "supposedly" honorable and religious man rationalize lying his way TO the White House? His bullshit does not compute...

If Bishop Romney didn't lie, he would have nothing to campaign on.

Yeah, we're in the Obama age of wealth and prosperity, the end of partisanship. I'm loved and supported by my President who's a Democrat. I'm so happy now. Romney would have to lie to campaign against that...

:lmao:

Romney professes to be a religious man; a man who supposedly wants to restore honor and integrity to the White House. Well, how can a "supposedly" honorable and religious man rationalize lying his way TO the White House? His bullshit does not compute...

And you said the same about Obama's campaign, right? Odd, I haven't seen that. Can you lean it a little? I have a secret for you.

:9:

Aahhhh....

And you said the same about Obama's campaign, right? Odd, I haven't seen that. Can you lean it a little? I have a secret for you.

Aahhhh....

Gawd, you wingnuts are sooo obsessed with Obama that you can't discuss anything without throwing his name in or projecting.

Aahhhh....

Gawd, you wingnuts are sooo obsessed with Obama that you can't discuss anything without throwing his name in or projecting.

Wow, the hypocrisy, man it REEKS. Obama is STILL running against W. And again, no word from you opposing that.

And that ignores that hmm ... Romney running against a sitting President (Obama wasn't) is running against the sitting President. WTF? Where did that come from???

Wow, you must really hate Obama then. Romney cut a few sentences? Here's Obama:

Obama talking about Virginia Foxx, “She said she had ‘very little tolerance for people who tell me they graduate with debt because there’s no reason for that.’ I’m just quoting here. The students who rack up student loan debt are just ‘sitting on their butts having opportunity dumped in your lap.’ I’m reading it here. I didn’t make this up.”

Obama said it was a "quote" and he was "reading" it. Lie followed by lie followed by lie, no omitting sentences. Actually she said she had "very little tolerance for people who tell me that they graduate with $200,000 of debt or even $80,000 of debt because there’s no reason for that." In other words, she thought people should not spend more then they can afford, not that they shouldn't have any debt.

So Romney cutting part of the quote is bad? Obama misquoted her, then said he was "quoting" and "reading" what she said. One direct liar after another. So since you obviously care about truth, you're voting for Romney now, right?

Last edited:

Aahhhh....

who's posting using your name?

Forum List

Back