Driving tax considered in California

Soulless65

VIP Member
Jul 1, 2011
Washington DC
Just when you think California couldn't get more stupid

SAN JOSE, Calif., July 18 (UPI) -- A California transportation agency said it is considering a tax on motorists for each mile they drive in their cars.

The Metropolitan Transportation Commission, the San Francisco Bay area agency leading the discussions on the possible tax, said the plan would likely involve GPS-like devices installed in cars to keep track of the miles traveled by motorists, with low-income drivers excepted, the San Jose Mercury News reported Wednesday.

Randy Rentschler, a spokesman for the Metropolitan Transportation Commission, said the plan for a vehicle miles traveled tax, or VMT, could take up to a decade to implement if it is embraced by the public.

"I don't want to say it's pie in the sky. A VMT charge is really an option for the future to be looked at and considered," Rentschler said.

Driving tax considered in California - UPI.com

They will make people buy it and pay out of pocket to have it installed
and maintained as well.Libs love this stuff because they feel what we all earn
belongs to government first anyway.

Just when you think California couldn't get more stupid

SAN JOSE, Calif., July 18 (UPI) -- A California transportation agency said it is considering a tax on motorists for each mile they drive in their cars.

The Metropolitan Transportation Commission, the San Francisco Bay area agency leading the discussions on the possible tax, said the plan would likely involve GPS-like devices installed in cars to keep track of the miles traveled by motorists, with low-income drivers excepted, the San Jose Mercury News reported Wednesday.

Randy Rentschler, a spokesman for the Metropolitan Transportation Commission, said the plan for a vehicle miles traveled tax, or VMT, could take up to a decade to implement if it is embraced by the public.

"I don't want to say it's pie in the sky. A VMT charge is really an option for the future to be looked at and considered," Rentschler said.

Driving tax considered in California - UPI.com

the 'money shot' from the article;

with low-income drivers excepted, the San Jose Mercury News reported Wednesday.

another shameless money grab.....they already took away some carpool lanes and turned then into pay lanes. what will do they do about taxis? limo drivers? truckers? another middle class tax.....

I'm surprised it's the tax that everybody's paying attention to, here. Don't get me wrong, I think the tax idea alone is questionable. . .

Holy shit, let's not start letting any level of government set the precedent that placing tracking devices on American citizens who've broken no law is A-OK.

They should just create two lanes at all California gas stations. One for rich people and one for everyone else. The rich people will have to pay two dollars a gallon more than everyone else.

You have to use your color-coded National Voter ID to prove which lane you belong in.
:badgrin::badgrin::badgrin:

It's a way to raise the cost of driving to fund more government.

Currently, CA gas taxes (excluding the federal portion), are about 49 cents per gallon. Lets assume an average of 25 MPH, the state yields 2 cents per mile. This money is ostensibly for the maintenance of roads, but really? HAHAHAHAHA.

As if CA spends money on the purpose for which a tax was justified.

So, now, after pushing GREEN hybrids and electrics, the STATE must find a way to sock it to the taxpayer, hence a Quintupling of the cost per mile.

Forum List

Back