Mitt Romney: 'I'll Take A Lot Of Credit' For Auto Industry Recovery

What Romney said initially is that GM should be forced into a managed bankruptcy and they were, just as he said. obama departed from the Romney plan by bailing out the union legacy costs and shifting all losses onto the shareholders.

Had Romney been president instead of obama, the GM bankruptcy would have gone along like the Christler bankruptcy when it was managed by Lee Iacocca years ago.

That's fine! But then he went on to say, and this is a direct quote, "So, I'll take a lot of credit for the fact that this industry has come back."

What Romney said initially is that GM should be forced into a managed bankruptcy and they were, just as he said. obama departed from the Romney plan by bailing out the union legacy costs and shifting all losses onto the shareholders.

Had Romney been president instead of obama, the GM bankruptcy would have gone along like the Christler bankruptcy when it was managed by Lee Iacocca years ago.

Had Mittens been president our country would be in a deep and unrecoverable depression. Of course he would be out buying massive amounts of property now a penny on the dollar from what it is today. The super rich love a financial disaster. Everything is so much cheaper.

:lol: You go with that, Mitt

Mitt Romney: 'I'll Take A Lot Of Credit' For Auto Industry Recovery

Despite his 2008 call to "let Detroit go bankrupt," presumptive Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney said Monday that he would "take a lot of credit" for his impact on the U.S. automobile industry's comeback.

During an interview with WEWS-TV in Cleveland following a campaign stop, Romney said his views helped save the industry.

"I pushed the idea of a managed bankruptcy," Romney said. "And finally, when that was done, and help was given, the companies got back on their feet. So I'll take a lot of credit for the fact that this industry's come back."

Romney's stance on the bailouts and his infamous 2008 New York Times op-ed "Let Detroit Go Bankrupt," have come up throughout the campaign, especially ahead of February's primary in Michigan. In that editorial, Romney argued that a government bailout for ailing auto giants Chrysler and General Motors would do more harm than good.

I think we see why the Republicans were so hesitant to nominate him.

First off, GM did go into managed bankruptcy. Had the American people not bought into the company, it would have gone into chapter 13. Romney was against the Obama plan, and now he wants to take credit for its success? He has no shame or backbone.

Knowing the democrat propensity for spin and manipulating context, everyone should reserve opinion until the entire context can be evaluated.

In other words, I expect this is another democrat lie until proved to be true.

Knowing the democrat propensity for spin and manipulating context, everyone should reserve opinion until the entire context can be evaluated.

MITT ROMNEY (R-MA), FMR. GOV., PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATE: Well, my own view, by the way, was that the auto companies needed to go through bankruptcy before government help. And frankly, that`s finally what the president did. He finally took them through bankruptcy. That was the right course. I argued for it from the very beginning.

It was the UAW and the president that delayed the idea of bankruptcy. I pushed the idea of a managed bankruptcy. And finally, when that was done and help was given, the companies got back on their feet. So I`ll take a lot of credit for the fact that this industry has come back.

http://www6.lexisnexis.com/publishe...cId=100007220&docId=l:1662045960&Em=7&start=2

Hear it here.

http://videocafe.crooksandliars.com/scarce/mitt-romney-takes-credit-saving-auto-indust

Last edited by a moderator:

MITT ROMNEY (R-MA), FMR. GOV., PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATE: Well, my own view, by the way, was that the auto companies needed to go through bankruptcy before government help. And frankly, that`s finally what the president did. He finally took them through bankruptcy. That was the right course. I argued for it from the very beginning.

It was the UAW and the president that delayed the idea of bankruptcy. I pushed the idea of a managed bankruptcy. And finally, when that was done and help was given, the companies got back on their feet. So I`ll take a lot of credit for the fact that this industry has come back.

LexisNexis News - Latest News from over 4,000 sources, including newspapers, tv transcripts, wire services, magazines, journals.

Hear it here.

Mitt Romney Takes Credit For Saving Auto Industry | Video Cafe

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61HbcIpKL7E]Mitt Romney Versus Reality: Auto Recovery Edition - YouTube[/ame]

It's more than clear that the 7 quarters of profit from GM and Chrysler came from CUTTING Union Benefits--and not the 80 BILLION taxpayers dollars that were thrown at the auto UNION bailout.
Ken Blackwell: Auto Industry Turn-Around Is a Two-Party Success

Judging that Romney has a 20 year track record of dealing with financially troubled corporations and along with a history of turning around the Winter Olympic games in Utah--he would have most certainly approved of a managed bankruptcy--versus the 80 billion taxpayer bailout.

This while Obama's policies of the Cash for Clunkers program bombed out--because that taxpayer subsidy went mostly to buy foreign auto's.
Cash for Clunkers Boosts Foreign Car Sales - ABC News

Then of course the Chevy Volt flopped big time.

LexisNexis News - Latest News from over 4,000 sources, including newspapers, tv transcripts, wire services, magazines, journals.

Hear it here.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61HbcIpKL7E]Mitt Romney Versus Reality: Auto Recovery Edition - YouTube[/ame]

It's more than clear that the 7 quarters of profit from GM and Chrysler came from CUTTING Union Benefits--and not the 80 BILLION taxpayers dollars that were thrown at the auto UNION bailout.

Judging that Romney has a 20 year track record of dealing with financially troubled corporations and along with a history of turning around the Winter Olympic games in Utah--he would have most certainly approved of a managed bankruptcy--versus the 80 billion taxpayer bailout.

This while Obama's policies of the Cash for Clunkers program bombed out--because that taxpayer subsidy went mostly to buy foreign auto's.

Apropos of nothing? Because he was taking credit where credit was not due. That's the subject at hand.

Hear it here.

Katzanddogs response: homina homina homina

Hear it here.

Katzanddogs response: homina homina homina

Well, one thing I have to wonder - if it was such a horrible thing, why did Romney try to take credit for it??

What a lying sack of shit. Romney opposed the Obama plan that actually worked.

Romney taking credit for auto industry success

The course Romney advocated differed greatly from the one that was ultimately taken. GM and Chrysler went into bankruptcy on the strength of a massive bailout that Romney opposed.

Romney taking credit for auto industry success - Yahoo! News

It wasn't the auto industry that was bailed out, it was the auto UNIONS that were bailed out, using taxpayer dollars. Estimates were that $1600.00 was added to the price tag of every car--to pay for retiree benefits--many of whom were retiring after 20 years with 80% pay.

Furthermore--it's more than clear that Romney DID NOT support taxpayer dollars being used to bail out the auto unions--and he was for a managed bankruptcy.
Now if he is taking credit for some type of managed bankruptcy--without using taxpayer dollars he needs to clarify himself--but obviously he is NOT talking about what Obama decided to do.

What is wrong with you? Bailed out the Unions. Jeezu H. Christ. Who ruined the company. The workers of the CEO's making decisions on what type of product to make. They make tell the engineers how to design and what to put in and at what cost. Is that what a Union worker does? I think not. Use our bean for something other than dead space.
When a company goes through managed bankruptcy, there has to be CAPITAL, that is money in case you don't get that, but no one was willing to put up any money. Not even Bain Capital. Surprised!
And your last statement is as big a lie as romneys.
Thanks for the laugh of the day.

What Romney said initially is that GM should be forced into a managed bankruptcy and they were, just as he said.

Romney also said that GM should not have gotten a gov't loan; but Obama did give them a gov't loan. So, no, Romney did not save the US auto industry.

Apropos of nothing? Because he was taking credit where credit was not due. That's the subject at hand.

And that's something OBAMA does all the time. 2008 Obama was campaigning on the surge would never work in Iraq--today he takes credit for it working.

But here's the real story on the Auto Industry profit recovery. And it has absolutely nothing to do with Obama throwing 80 BILLION tax payer dollars at it.

As the 2012 election season turns full throttle, the president and members of his administration are pointing to their only economic success story -- the government's investment in an ailing, failing auto industry and the subsequent revival of the nation's manufacturing base.

Vice President Biden recently stated on a campaign stop that "Osama bin Laden is dead and GM is alive."

But let's put this presidential campaign victory tour into perspective. The president and even the media fail to acknowledge a critical fact, that the initial decision to help the automobile industry began with the Bush administration. This recovery plan was set in motion under a Republican administration, approved with votes in Congress from both parties, and was then continued by President Obama.

It's odd how this president and the press are so anxious and willing to blame former President George W. Bush for a failing economy and soaring national debt, yet the president's primary example of a GM turnaround began under the Bush watch. Apparently the president wants it both ways. In reality, this auto industry recovery is an example of both parties working together to help save a national treasure in our auto industry and preserve jobs in industries that depend on auto manufacturing.

I wrote some time ago that conservatives, myself among them, were certainly justified in opposing government involvement and partial ownership of a private company such as General Motors. Generally, when the government gets its fingers into private industry, problems only get worse. But since the decision was made to invest tax dollars in GM and Chrysler, let's look under the hood of GM to examine how and why this company is making a comeback. When you check the facts, you quickly understand how GM's accomplishments have nothing to do with this president and everything to do with restoring sound business practices that are rooted in conservative free-market principles -- something you'll never hear Obama, Biden or the media talk about.

The old days of GM building poor-quality vehicles that no one wanted to buy are over. The company finished 2011 by increasing U.S. sales by 14 percent versus 11 percent for the entire auto industry. GM's market share increased to 19 percent, the first share increase for the company since 2002. All four GM brands increased their total sales and posted double-digit gains in retail sales. Since the bailout, GM has racked up a remarkable seven consecutive quarters of profitability. How?

Not due to any help from the Obama administration. New management at GM has made it clear that politicians will stay out of the car business. GM renegotiated its deal with labor to bring employee salaries in line with its competitors. This new labor agreement with the United Auto Workers union maintains a low, break-even level and gives employees a direct stake in company's performance. If the company doesn't do well, people don't make as much! Gone are automatic, built-in incentives for employees or overly generous retirement packages.

And that's something OBAMA does all the time. 2008 Obama was campaigning on the surge would never work in Iraq--today he takes credit for it working.

But here's the real story on the Auto Industry profit recovery. And it has absolutely nothing to do with Obama throwing 80 BILLION tax payer dollars at it.

As the 2012 election season turns full throttle, the president and members of his administration are pointing to their only economic success story -- the government's investment in an ailing, failing auto industry and the subsequent revival of the nation's manufacturing base.

Vice President Biden recently stated on a campaign stop that "Osama bin Laden is dead and GM is alive."

But let's put this presidential campaign victory tour into perspective. The president and even the media fail to acknowledge a critical fact, that the initial decision to help the automobile industry began with the Bush administration. This recovery plan was set in motion under a Republican administration, approved with votes in Congress from both parties, and was then continued by President Obama.

It's odd how this president and the press are so anxious and willing to blame former President George W. Bush for a failing economy and soaring national debt, yet the president's primary example of a GM turnaround began under the Bush watch. Apparently the president wants it both ways. In reality, this auto industry recovery is an example of both parties working together to help save a national treasure in our auto industry and preserve jobs in industries that depend on auto manufacturing.

I wrote some time ago that conservatives, myself among them, were certainly justified in opposing government involvement and partial ownership of a private company such as General Motors. Generally, when the government gets its fingers into private industry, problems only get worse. But since the decision was made to invest tax dollars in GM and Chrysler, let's look under the hood of GM to examine how and why this company is making a comeback. When you check the facts, you quickly understand how GM's accomplishments have nothing to do with this president and everything to do with restoring sound business practices that are rooted in conservative free-market principles -- something you'll never hear Obama, Biden or the media talk about.

The old days of GM building poor-quality vehicles that no one wanted to buy are over. The company finished 2011 by increasing U.S. sales by 14 percent versus 11 percent for the entire auto industry. GM's market share increased to 19 percent, the first share increase for the company since 2002. All four GM brands increased their total sales and posted double-digit gains in retail sales. Since the bailout, GM has racked up a remarkable seven consecutive quarters of profitability. How?

Not due to any help from the Obama administration. New management at GM has made it clear that politicians will stay out of the car business. GM renegotiated its deal with labor to bring employee salaries in line with its competitors. This new labor agreement with the United Auto Workers union maintains a low, break-even level and gives employees a direct stake in company's performance. If the company doesn't do well, people don't make as much! Gone are automatic, built-in incentives for employees or overly generous retirement packages.

I'm sorry son but your candidate is going to have to stand alone.

He took credit for something he had no business taking credit for.

Based on this recent owning of the saving of the auto industry..why stop there Mittens? Why not take credit for killing Bin Ladin? These dumb ass fascists just suck it up. The possibilities are really endless.

Based on this recent owning of the saving of the auto industry..why stop there Mittens? Why not take credit for killing Bin Ladin? These dumb ass fascists just suck it up. The possibilities are really endless.

I heard Mittens freed the Iran hostages, AND took down the Berlin Wall.

By himself.

/nod

By himself.

/nod

I think Mitt Romney clarifies himself in this statement:

The auto bailout, put in motion by former President George W. Bush and continued by President Barack Obama, is now widely viewed as a success. Michigan Democrats have seized on the issue as a potential vulnerability for Romney in a state hard hit by the economic downturn.

On Wednesday Romney - who was born in Detroit and whose father was later the Michigan governor - said the president had eventually come around to his suggestion that a managed bankruptcy was the best solution for Detroit's auto manufacturers.

"The president finally came around to my own view that Detroit needed to go through managed bankruptcy, the auto companies needed to go through managed bankruptcy to shed their excess costs," Romney said during a business roundtable before his rally. "And it took him six months to get there but he got to the same place that I had suggested."

But the former Massachusetts governor accused Obama of "crony capitalism" and said the president had bowed to the United Auto Workers in the deal. Romney has said he would not have poured federal money into a bailout.

"He got hundreds of millions of dollars from labor bosses for his campaign, and so he's paying them back in every way he knows how," Romney said. "One way, of course, was giving General Motors and Chrysler to the UAW."

He also responded to criticism from UAW President Bob King, who has said Romney "turned his back" on the auto industry.

"I'm sorry Mr. King, I care very deeply about the auto industry. I want to make sure we have good jobs not just for a few weeks, but for many, many years," Romney said. "I've taken on union bosses before, and I'm happy to take them on again, because I happen to believe that you can protect the interests of American taxpayers, and you can protect a great industry like automobiles without having to give in to the UAW. And I sure won't."
Romney defends position on Detroit bailout – CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs

And then on video--during a GOP debate in Arizona in a sparing match with Santorum--and WITHOUT all of the cutting and editing the left wing media and the Obama reelection campaign are doing.

And then finally this article--that specifically states the auto industry turned around based on costing costs--cutting union benefits--and not because of the billions of dollars that Obama threw at them.

Last edited by a moderator:

By himself.

/nod

I understand he invented the internet as well.

That is exactly the kind of nonsense that nuts like you believe.

Forum List

Back