Mitt Romney: 'I'll Take A Lot Of Credit' For Auto Industry Recovery

J.E.D

Gold Member
Jul 28, 2011
:lol: You go with that, Mitt

Despite his 2008 call to "let Detroit go bankrupt," presumptive Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney said Monday that he would "take a lot of credit" for his impact on the U.S. automobile industry's comeback.

During an interview with WEWS-TV in Cleveland following a campaign stop, Romney said his views helped save the industry.

"I pushed the idea of a managed bankruptcy," Romney said. "And finally, when that was done, and help was given, the companies got back on their feet. So I'll take a lot of credit for the fact that this industry's come back."

Romney's stance on the bailouts and his infamous 2008 New York Times op-ed "Let Detroit Go Bankrupt," have come up throughout the campaign, especially ahead of February's primary in Michigan. In that editorial, Romney argued that a government bailout for ailing auto giants Chrysler and General Motors would do more harm than good.

Its a good thing we nationalized a few automotive companies after their incompetence nearly ruined themselves......................

They need to know that US taxpayers will be there to reward them in the future for failure

To avoid another "great depression" and all

• Banned
Its a good thing we nationalized a few automotive companies after their incompetence nearly ruined themselves......................

They need to know that US taxpayers will be there to reward them in the future for failure

It's good to know that Mitt wants to take credit for it.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight......just like The Mitt had......

handjob.gif

Despite his 2008 call to "let Detroit go bankrupt," presumptive Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney said Monday that he would "take a lot of credit" for his impact on the U.S. automobile industry's comeback.

During an interview with WEWS-TV in Cleveland following a campaign stop, Romney said his views helped save the industry.

"I pushed the idea of a managed bankruptcy," Romney said. "And finally, when that was done, and help was given, the companies got back on their feet. So I'll take a lot of credit for the fact that this industry's come back."

Romney's stance on the bailouts and his infamous 2008 New York Times op-ed "Let Detroit Go Bankrupt," have come up throughout the campaign, especially ahead of February's primary in Michigan. In that editorial, Romney argued that a government bailout for ailing auto giants Chrysler and General Motors would do more harm than good.

that's hysterical... and just to refresh people's recollections so they don't pretend he didn't say it:

Let Detroit Go Bankrupt
By MITT ROMNEYPublished: November 18, 2008

General Motors, Ford and Chrysler get the bailout that their chief executives asked for yesterday, you can kiss the American automotive industry goodbye. It won’t go overnight, but its demise will be virtually guaranteed

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/19/opinion/19romney.html?_r=1

Last edited:

that's hysterical... and just to refresh people's recollections so they don't pretend he didn't say it:

Let Detroit Go Bankrupt
By MITT ROMNEYPublished: November 18, 2008

General Motors, Ford and Chrysler get the bailout that their chief executives asked for yesterday, you can kiss the American automotive industry goodbye. It won’t go overnight, but its demise will be virtually guaranteed

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/19/opinion/19romney.html?_r=1

It's a funny thing how so many still think we should have let Chrysler and GM go belly up. Of course, Romney is smarter than that. He's going to change his story again so that he is on the right side. Of course, for Romney, being on the right side of any issue means changing his view on each and every issue about once every few months.

WTF is he smoking? He had nothing to do with it!

Does bailout-critic Romney deserve credit for auto rebound? - May. 8, 2012

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- Mitt Romney argued against the bailout of the U.S. auto industry in 2008, in an article entitled "Let Detroit Go Bankrupt."

Now three years after the Obama administration bailed out General Motors (GM, Fortune 500) and Chrysler Group, and with U.S. auto industry sales, profits and hiring all rising, Romney believes he deserves credit for that turnaround.

"I'll take a lot of credit for the fact that this industry's come back," he told an Ohio television station Monday. "My own view is that the auto companies needed to go through bankruptcy before government help. And frankly, that's finally what the president did. He finally took them through bankruptcy."

What a lying sack of shit. Romney opposed the Obama plan that actually worked.

Romney taking credit for auto industry success

The course Romney advocated differed greatly from the one that was ultimately taken. GM and Chrysler went into bankruptcy on the strength of a massive bailout that Romney opposed.

Romney taking credit for auto industry success - Yahoo! News

It wasn't the auto industry that was bailed out, it was the auto UNIONS that were bailed out, using taxpayer dollars. Estimates were that $1600.00 was added to the price tag of every car--to pay for retiree benefits--many of whom were retiring after 20 years with 80% pay.

Furthermore--it's more than clear that Romney DID NOT support taxpayer dollars being used to bail out the auto unions--and he was for a managed bankruptcy.
Now if he is taking credit for some type of managed bankruptcy--without using taxpayer dollars he needs to clarify himself--but obviously he is NOT talking about what Obama decided to do.

The course Romney advocated differed greatly from the one that was ultimately taken. GM and Chrysler went into bankruptcy on the strength of a massive bailout that Romney opposed.

It wasn't the auto industry that was bailed out, it was the auto UNIONS that were bailed out, using taxpayer dollars. Estimates were that $1600.00 was added to the price tag of every car--to pay for retiree benefits--many of whom were retiring after 20 years with 80% pay.

Furthermore--it's more than clear that Romney DID NOT support taxpayer dollars being used to bail out the auto unions--and he was for a managed bankruptcy.
Now if he is taking credit for some type of managed bankruptcy--without using taxpayer dollars he needs to clarify himself--but obviously he is NOT talking about what Obama decided to do.

You can frame it any way you want. The fact remains that the auto industry is now doing well, and Romney didn't have a damn thing to do with it. He's a lying sack of shit.

You can frame it any way you want. The fact remains that the auto industry is now doing well, and Romney didn't have a damn thing to do with it. He's a lying sack of shit.

I would love to see a link on how well the auto industry is doing--LOL. I was just down at a car lot last weekend--with 8 salespeople all fighting over 1 customer--that stood around all day long smoking cigarettes. If that's what you consider "good" then God help us.

I'd sure like to hear something that Barry Hussein takes credit for. Maybe the laughable "cash for clunkers" program or the Solyndra bailout.

He'll have to take it because nobody is going to give it to him (except the you know who's).

Forum List

Back