Mitt Happens ... Again

Luddly Neddite

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2011
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/05/magazine/mitt-isnt-ready-to-call-it-quits-just-yet.html

Romney shrugged off the recent attention, citing the natural human tendency to covet the unavailable. (“If you live in the mountains, you long for the trees and the lakes,” he said. “If you live in the trees and the lakes. . . .”) And yet a confluence of political realities has created a genuine opening for a Romney third act. As Obama struggles through a difficult final term, there is a lack of a clear Republican heir apparent. Presumptive early front-runners, like Chris Christie and Jeb Bush, have shown themselves to be flawed or reluctant or both. A splintering of possible movement candidates (Rand Paul, Ted Cruz) could beget a need for a default consensus choice.

Romney, for his part, is noticeably playing along. He recently told a radio host that he was not planning on running for president but allowed that “circumstances can change.” A recent column by the conservative pundit Byron York noted that Romney had kept in close contact with many of his advisers and aides. As we spoke, Romney compared the barrage of 2016-related questions to a scene in the film “Dumb and Dumber.” After Jim Carrey’s character is flatly rejected by Lauren Holly, she tells him that there’s a one-in-a-million chance she would change her mind. “So,” Romney told me, embodying the character, “Jim Carrey says, ‘You’re telling me there’s a chance.’ ”

This was the obvious opening for me to ask if there was a chance. Romney’s response was decidedly meta — “I have nothing to add to the story” — but he then fell into the practiced political parlance of nondenial. “We’ve got a lot of people looking at the race,” he said. “We’ll see what happens.”

The Clown Car looks pretty bad right now - just lots of losers.

Oh wait, Mittens is a chronic loser but still -

Wouldn't it be really fun if he ran again?

I can't see how Mittens gets it. He's lost twice now. Is he trying to outdo Bob Dole?

Here's the real problem that works against Romney for a third time. The Conservatives and Teabaggers are absolutely convinced the reason they lost in 2008 and 2012 is because the GOP didn't nominate a "real conservative". forget that Dubya Bush and even Ronald Reagan would have a hard time clearing the bar of what they consider a "Real Conservative" right now. Or that Romney veered very far to the right in his two runs pandering to these people.

I can't see how Mittens gets it. He's lost twice now. Is he trying to outdo Bob Dole?

Here's the real problem that works against Romney for a third time. The Conservatives and Teabaggers are absolutely convinced the reason they lost in 2008 and 2012 is because the GOP didn't nominate a "real conservative". forget that Dubya Bush and even Ronald Reagan would have a hard time clearing the bar of what they consider a "Real Conservative" right now. Or that Romney veered very far to the right in his two runs pandering to these people.

I have to laugh when Liberals explain what "Conservatives and Teabaggers" are thinking, since they can't even explain their own thoughts. McCain's execrable campaign notwithstanding, no one was going to prevent the election of our First Black President in 2008. In 2012, the combination of race, weather, and a co-conspiratorial press made reelection a given. Now that things are unraveling, most people would vote for Romney if given a chance.

[
I have to laugh when Liberals explain what "Conservatives and Teabaggers" are thinking, since they can't even explain their own thoughts. McCain's execrable campaign notwithstanding, no one was going to prevent the election of our First Black President in 2008. In 2012, the combination of race, weather, and a co-conspiratorial press made reelection a given. Now that things are unraveling, most people would vote for Romney if given a chance.

A was a Right Winger for years, until I realized that the Rich aren't my friends.

So I know exactly what passes for "thinking" on your side of room.

While Obama was probably inevitable in 2008 because Bush fucked up everything so badly Jesus couldn't have won as a Republican, he was probably beatable in 2012.

But you guys let the Mormon Cult hijack your party for a PSA.

An oldie but a goodie -

2012-04-14-11-46-05.jpg

Since so much of what Mitt Romney stated when he ran for President turned out to be spot on and so much of what Barack Obama stated has turned out to be completely false (if you don't believe me go back and look at the positions each took in their debates. Romney was correct so often and Barry was completely wrong so often, it's almost comical!) why wouldn't Romney want a chance to show he really was the man for the job? Polls done now have people coming out and wishing that they had indeed voted for Mitt Romney the last time around.

[

A was a Right Winger for years, until I realized that the Rich aren't my friends.

While Obama was probably inevitable in 2008 because Bush fucked up everything so badly Jesus couldn't have won as a Republican, he was probably beatable in 2012.

Yeah because as we all know...when Mitt Romney was Governor of Massachusetts he turned the entire State into a second Mormon enclave that rivals only Utah!!!

Oh wait...that didn't happen! Doh!!!

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/05/magazine/mitt-isnt-ready-to-call-it-quits-just-yet.html

Romney shrugged off the recent attention, citing the natural human tendency to covet the unavailable. (“If you live in the mountains, you long for the trees and the lakes,” he said. “If you live in the trees and the lakes. . . .”) And yet a confluence of political realities has created a genuine opening for a Romney third act. As Obama struggles through a difficult final term, there is a lack of a clear Republican heir apparent. Presumptive early front-runners, like Chris Christie and Jeb Bush, have shown themselves to be flawed or reluctant or both. A splintering of possible movement candidates (Rand Paul, Ted Cruz) could beget a need for a default consensus choice.

Romney, for his part, is noticeably playing along. He recently told a radio host that he was not planning on running for president but allowed that “circumstances can change.” A recent column by the conservative pundit Byron York noted that Romney had kept in close contact with many of his advisers and aides. As we spoke, Romney compared the barrage of 2016-related questions to a scene in the film “Dumb and Dumber.” After Jim Carrey’s character is flatly rejected by Lauren Holly, she tells him that there’s a one-in-a-million chance she would change her mind. “So,” Romney told me, embodying the character, “Jim Carrey says, ‘You’re telling me there’s a chance.’ ”

This was the obvious opening for me to ask if there was a chance. Romney’s response was decidedly meta — “I have nothing to add to the story” — but he then fell into the practiced political parlance of nondenial. “We’ve got a lot of people looking at the race,” he said. “We’ll see what happens.”

The Clown Car looks pretty bad right now - just lots of losers.

Oh wait, Mittens is a chronic loser but still -

Wouldn't it be really fun if he ran again?

Mitt happens, spread it around. :)

I mean leave all the partisan politics out of this and look at it from a strictly practical viewpoint. We've got a government that's dysfunctional and needs to be fixed. Mitt Romney's specialty is fixing organizations that aren't working. We've got gridlock in Washington because of the rancor between the Left and Right. We need someone who can work across the aisle to get things done. Mitt Romney was a GOP Governor in a State whose Legislature was overwhelmingly Democratic and he still got the job done. We need to create jobs and stimulate economic growth. Mitt Romney understands economics, the private sector and how to stimulate growth.

Quite frankly...we fucked up badly when we DIDN'T elect him last time!

I mean did we really elect Barack Obama to another term based on a clear eyed examination of what his plans were going forward to fix the countries problems? Or did we allow ourselves to get side tracked on "faux" issues like Romney's "war on women"?

[

How did realizing that "the Rich aren't my friends" affect your "thinking?"

Since so much of what Mitt Romney stated when he ran for President turned out to be spot on and so much of what Barack Obama stated has turned out to be completely false (if you don't believe me go back and look at the positions each took in their debates. Romney was correct so often and Barry was completely wrong so often, it's almost comical!) why wouldn't Romney want a chance to show he really was the man for the job? Polls done now have people coming out and wishing that they had indeed voted for Mitt Romney the last time around.

Like what? Seriously, I'm glad we aren't fighting Iran or Russia, because that was the kind of smack the Weird Mormon Robot was talking.

It's not like HIS kids were coming home in the body bags.

[

How did realizing that "the Rich aren't my friends" affect your "thinking?"

Well, the thing I realized that was the rich have their interests, which is mostly to keep working folks fighting amongst themselves over bullshit like Gay Marriage, Abortion, guns, while they laugh all the way to the bank.

I just refused to keep going along with it.

I mean leave all the partisan politics out of this and look at it from a strictly practical viewpoint. We've got a government that's dysfunctional and needs to be fixed. Mitt Romney's specialty is fixing organizations that aren't working. !

Maybe you need to talk to Joe Soptic about how Mitt "Fixed" GS Steel. I understand he visits his wife's grave frequently after Mitt cut their health insurance so he could buy another dressage horsie.

I mean did we really elect Barack Obama to another term based on a clear eyed examination of what his plans were going forward to fix the countries problems? Or did we allow ourselves to get side tracked on "faux" issues like Romney's "war on women"?

No, what happened was your Boy Romney, when he was alone with his fellow rich assholes, expressed his complete contempt for working people. Not only the 47% comments, but how awesome he thought it was they moved Manufacturing jobs to China where they have Chinese babes living behind barbed wire 120 to a bathroom to make people like them money.

I'd say that Romney pretty much showed us what an evil Mormon cocksucker he really was.

[

Yeah because as we all know...when Mitt Romney was Governor of Massachusetts he turned the entire State into a second Mormon enclave that rivals only Utah!!!

Oh wait...that didn't happen! Doh!!!

No, what he did in Massachusetts is run the state so badly that it was third from last in job growth (only behind Michigan and Ohio) and he was polling so badly he didn't even try for a third term.

Forum List

Back