Minimal Wage. Raises. Inflation. Cost of living.

Well.....he may be on to something here. I read an article about Basic Income that they were tossing around for parts of Switzerland. Here's how it works:

Every adult gets 18K a year from the government. It doesn't matter if you work, how much money you do or don't make, what you do with that annual check. You get 18K a year.

The catch to that is there are no more social programs: no more Medicaid, Medicare, Social Security, Food stamps, HUD, nothing. You get 18K a year and figure it out for yourself.

Running the numbers, they concluded that it would actually save the country money. Not only that, but it would eliminate the discrepancies between the working and the non-working.

For instance, I have these HUD people next door to me. I don't know if they work or not, but whatever they do, they come home all hours of the night waking me and my tenants up. I reject the idea that my tax dollars are supporting non-working lowlifes to live in the suburbs next door to me when I have to work to live in the same area.

Basic income would eliminate all that. If they got 18K a year (or combined 36K a year for mother and father) they would not be able to afford to live here with their three kids. They would have to seek lower income housing in order to support their kids who are no longer on food stamps and can't get Free Lunch in school.

If you are a hard worker, you can use that extra money to pump up your retirement plan since there would be no Social Security. You can work and use those checks to pay for your children's college which is another issue liberals bring up. Healthcare? No longer a problem. We would not have to debate between government and private healthcare since you can use your check to get a great healthcare plan if you don't have one with your job.

With our social programs, they are a deterrent for people bettering themselves. If you are on food stamps and want to remain there, you must keep your income under X amount per month, otherwise your increased earnings will be deducted from you stipend. Basic income eliminates all that because you are going to get your 18K no matter if you work 20 hours or 60 hours per week. I believe it would encourage people to try harder.
Im sorry but I need to see a post. I never thought I would say that, but I am interested in reading more.

A post on what, Basic Income?
About the government giving everyone 18k a year no matter the income anyone makes

Very well, I got the idea from Switzerland (which failed miserably by vote) when I read all the ins and outs of their proposal. While we can't duplicate the exact model, it did give me fodder for thought about doing it in the US.

My ideas were just a takeoff from the Swiss model. I gave serious thought about how that might work out in our country when you weight what we currently have, all the problems we have with our safety net systems, and the costs to support it.

Why Switzerland’s Universal Basic Income referendum matters, even though it failed
Ok say the Government does give every American citizen that pays taxes every 18k. Does the 18k go in citizens personal account or a specific account designated to each individual provided by the Government? My issue is the responsibility of people. I think a lot if not most would spend it irresponsibly if the Government left it up to each individual. If a person blows through that 18k in 3 or 4 months then what?
Maybe if the Government gave individuals the money and had regulations to go with it. Maybe individuals could take a few grand from it for any reason and have another limit like individuals can have access to 3,000 more but only if individuals provide information and proof the money is needed for an emergency or for rent, mortgage, food, or any cost of living need. And as the years go by individuals accumulate the 18k each year and individuals will have more money that they can access, But never can be depleted.

Another way is just make everything affordable. Once I had to be transported by ambulance. On the paper work It stated I was transported .1 mile. I lived 2 blocks from hospital. You know how much my bill was for that ambulance ride? $1,678!!!
For a distance I could of walked and got there in 10 mins tops. I could of rented a limo with fully stocked bar for all that.

Instead of charging ridiculous prices for medical testing procedures whatever, just make it a price anyone could afford. Then maybe just maybe people would start paying their medical bills.
I've been told that such things as Ambulance rides are so expensive is because of all the freebies they have to give to people who can't pay. Those who pay have to pay enough to cover those who don't.

If Ambulances had to go into bidding wars before they picked you up, like Uber and Lyft, then things would be different.

Im sorry but I need to see a post. I never thought I would say that, but I am interested in reading more.

About the government giving everyone 18k a year no matter the income anyone makes

Very well, I got the idea from Switzerland (which failed miserably by vote) when I read all the ins and outs of their proposal. While we can't duplicate the exact model, it did give me fodder for thought about doing it in the US.

My ideas were just a takeoff from the Swiss model. I gave serious thought about how that might work out in our country when you weight what we currently have, all the problems we have with our safety net systems, and the costs to support it.

Why Switzerland’s Universal Basic Income referendum matters, even though it failed
Ok say the Government does give every American citizen that pays taxes every 18k. Does the 18k go in citizens personal account or a specific account designated to each individual provided by the Government? My issue is the responsibility of people. I think a lot if not most would spend it irresponsibly if the Government left it up to each individual. If a person blows through that 18k in 3 or 4 months then what?
Maybe if the Government gave individuals the money and had regulations to go with it. Maybe individuals could take a few grand from it for any reason and have another limit like individuals can have access to 3,000 more but only if individuals provide information and proof the money is needed for an emergency or for rent, mortgage, food, or any cost of living need. And as the years go by individuals accumulate the 18k each year and individuals will have more money that they can access, But never can be depleted.

Another way is just make everything affordable. Once I had to be transported by ambulance. On the paper work It stated I was transported .1 mile. I lived 2 blocks from hospital. You know how much my bill was for that ambulance ride? $1,678!!!
For a distance I could of walked and got there in 10 mins tops. I could of rented a limo with fully stocked bar for all that.

Instead of charging ridiculous prices for medical testing procedures whatever, just make it a price anyone could afford. Then maybe just maybe people would start paying their medical bills.
I've been told that such things as Ambulance rides are so expensive is because of all the freebies they have to give to people who can't pay. Those who pay have to pay enough to cover those who don't.

If Ambulances had to go into bidding wars before they picked you up, like Uber and Lyft, then things would be different.

It's also why all medical is up. Medicare and Medicaid only pay 2/3 of the bill for their patients, then doctors and facilities have to increase their prices to make up that loss. Did you ever get a bill from an ER? It goes into the thousands just for a doctor checking your blood pressure.

In America, I strongly believe that any American citizen that works a full time job, should be paid a wage that cover his or her annual cost of living.

So do I. That's why I believe if you can't make due with minimum wage, get a better paying job.

Well.....he may be on to something here. I read an article about Basic Income that they were tossing around for parts of Switzerland. Here's how it works:

Every adult gets 18K a year from the government. It doesn't matter if you work, how much money you do or don't make, what you do with that annual check. You get 18K a year.

The catch to that is there are no more social programs: no more Medicaid, Medicare, Social Security, Food stamps, HUD, nothing. You get 18K a year and figure it out for yourself.

Running the numbers, they concluded that it would actually save the country money. Not only that, but it would eliminate the discrepancies between the working and the non-working.

For instance, I have these HUD people next door to me. I don't know if they work or not, but whatever they do, they come home all hours of the night waking me and my tenants up. I reject the idea that my tax dollars are supporting non-working lowlifes to live in the suburbs next door to me when I have to work to live in the same area.

Basic income would eliminate all that. If they got 18K a year (or combined 36K a year for mother and father) they would not be able to afford to live here with their three kids. They would have to seek lower income housing in order to support their kids who are no longer on food stamps and can't get Free Lunch in school.

If you are a hard worker, you can use that extra money to pump up your retirement plan since there would be no Social Security. You can work and use those checks to pay for your children's college which is another issue liberals bring up. Healthcare? No longer a problem. We would not have to debate between government and private healthcare since you can use your check to get a great healthcare plan if you don't have one with your job.

With our social programs, they are a deterrent for people bettering themselves. If you are on food stamps and want to remain there, you must keep your income under X amount per month, otherwise your increased earnings will be deducted from you stipend. Basic income eliminates all that because you are going to get your 18K no matter if you work 20 hours or 60 hours per week. I believe it would encourage people to try harder.

The problem with our current social programs is that IT DOES teach irresponsibility. Maybe if we went to Basic Income, it would force people to be more responsible; another benefit to the program. If they can't be more responsible, then it's the survival of the fittest.

The one year the government spent over 300 million trying to get some healthcare program passed, and it didn't pass. So they threw away over 300 million dollars. They might of as well gave every American citizen 1 million dollars. The government throws away so much money every year, so quick to money from us and take their time giving us money.

Little wonder you have so much trouble with taxes and spending.

300,000,000 million people times $1,000,000. equals $300,000,000,000,000.00

Since you have problems with zero's. That figure is $300 TRILLION

A shortcut to multiply zero's times zero's is to simply add the zeros from the $1 million to the zeroes of 300 million.
lmao wow that was a state not to thought out. that's my bad

How are the people making minimum wage going to be able make when companies who pay minimum usually provides no type of healthcare.

Either English is your third or fourth language or you've had a few too many adult beverages...again.
Language would have nothing to do with it. The worlds are spelled correctly, just missed a few words.

Poverty line is any annual amount of income $12,060 or less for 1 person
Minimum wage annual income for 1 person is $15,080
The annual income required to cover 1 persons annual cost of living in Allegheny county PA is $20,606

To me minimum wage is poverty.

The annual income required to cover 1 persons annual cost of living in Allegheny county PA is $20,606

Yes it is, that's why you work hard to get out of making minimum wage. After all, most people who start a job at minimum wage will be earning more within the first four months if they stay at that same job.

If you don’t like what you are getting paid then find another job. Businesses don’t exist to give you a job. You aren’t owed anything.

No truer comment has ever been posted in support of the thinking of the self righteous and callous conservatives set.

In other words, the truth?

Yep, callous disregard and self righteous indignation of the working poor and working men who shower after work are the core principles of the new Republican Party, and the neo fascists who support them.

If you don’t like what you are getting paid then find another job. Businesses don’t exist to give you a job. You aren’t owed anything.

No truer comment has ever been posted in support of the thinking of the self righteous and callous conservatives set.

In other words, the truth?

Yep, callous disregard and self righteous indignation of the working poor and working men who shower after work are the core principles of the new Republican Party, and the neo fascists who support them.

But I'm not a Republican. Now off to the pit of misery with you. Dilly! Dilly!

Yes it is, that's why you work hard to get out of making minimum wage. After all, most people who start a job at minimum wage will be earning more within the first four months if they stay at that same job.
I agree! I had 2 jobs in my life where I made minimum wage, at a fitness club my Sr. year in high school, and at mcdonalds when I was going to get my cdl A. I would work 40 hours a week and an 80 hour check I took home $478 for two weeks. The jobs that pay the least expect the most. Just for the fact that they make you slave for minimum wage, I would do something illegal before I ever went back. I don't know any job that pays minimum wage that will increase it after 4 months. I hear people that make minimum wage only get maybe a raise of 25 cents an hour after a year, I even heard 15 cents.

It is one reason for a fifteen dollar an hour minimum wage.
I don't know about that high. $15 an hour will most likely effect inflation. I calculated that a person whose cost of living expenses require an annual income of $20,606, will need to earn $9.91 an hour working 40 hours a week.

Even if there was 2 minimum wages. Part-time employee- $7.25/hr Full-time employee- $9.91/hr. If companies only want to pay their employees minimum, then they shouldn't hire them for full time so that they could work another job.

I agree! I had 2 jobs in my life where I made minimum wage, at a fitness club my Sr. year in high school, and at mcdonalds when I was going to get my cdl A. I would work 40 hours a week and an 80 hour check I took home $478 for two weeks. The jobs that pay the least expect the most. Just for the fact that they make you slave for minimum wage, I would do something illegal before I ever went back. I don't know any job that pays minimum wage that will increase it after 4 months. I hear people that make minimum wage only get maybe a raise of 25 cents an hour after a year, I even heard 15 cents.

Unless you have a totally brainless job, most companies will pay you over minimum wage to keep you. When you are a non-skilled worker, you are hired at minimum wage because you can't produce much for the company. As you learn more about the establishment and various jobs that make it operate, you make more money because you can do more things.

Minimum wage isn't enough annual income required to cover an individuals cost of living.

That is NOT the purpose of a minimum wage. What part of that do you refuse to believe or accept? It just makes you look foolish.

Please answer these same questions you have ignored in the past.

What is the average income of a household where one of the workers earns minimum wage?

How many households are there in the United States existing on only one worker earning minimum wage?

Forum List

Back