UGA is a lock. Win or lose the SEC championship
Michigan is a lock. Win or lose the BIG10 championship
PAC12 Champ is in. Undefeated Washington or 1 loss Oregon

That leaves 1 spot.

In order for OSU to get that last spot

FSU has to lose either tonight or against Louisville
Alabama has to lose to UGA
Texas has to lose to Ok St.

OSU doesn’t control it’s destiny and a lot of things have to happen for them to be considered.

In other words they need a lot of help.
I’m split on how to consider all of this. Take this example:

Ohio State would have the argument that they have 1 loss, which was close, to the #1 or #2 team in the country.

Meanwhile, if 1 loss Oregon would beat undefeated Washington, there’s two 1 loss teams… the loser would likely slide down to #8-9.

So in this scenario, you’d have 1-loss OSU with their loss being to a better team than either 1-loss Wash or 1-loss Oregon.

This is where things like strength of schedule and quality wins comes into play. But if you use dry paper metrics, OSU has an argument

And, given the bias for OSU in these types of rankings over the years, I’d imagine they have good odds to get in. If Michigan lost, Michigan wouldn’t even be considered or talked about. It’s a complete double standard, I see it every year this sort of thing happens. OSU Can lose and the mainstream pundits still talk about a “path” to get in, Michigan loses and it’s “they’re clearly out”

Ohio State would have the argument that they have 1 loss, which was close, to the #1 or #2 team in the country.

Meanwhile, if 1 loss Oregon would beat undefeated Washington, there’s two 1 loss teams… the loser would likely slide down to #8-9.

So in this scenario, you’d have 1-loss OSU with their loss being to a better team than either 1-loss Wash or 1-loss Oregon.

This is where things like strength of schedule and quality wins comes into play. But if you use dry paper metrics, OSU has an argument

And, given the bias for OSU in these types of rankings over the years, I’d imagine they have good odds to get in. If Michigan lost, Michigan wouldn’t even be considered or talked about. It’s a complete double standard, I see it every year this sort of thing happens. OSU Can lose and the mainstream pundits still talk about a “path” to get in, Michigan loses and it’s “they’re clearly out”

IMO a 1 loss Conference champion has more weight than a 1 loss non Conference champ. They've played an additional game with which comes additional risk. If the committee doesn't take that into account a team would be better off just not playing in their Conference championship game. UGA, Mich, Wash, and FSU are all undefeated. There's no argument at this point that can be made that keeps them out of the CFP. Why should a 1 loss team who isn't playing in their Conference Championship game be considered unless the Conference Champion has at least 2 losses?

Trust me Im aware that the committee will do some mental gymnastics to get their preferred teams in the CFP. Alabama, OSU, UGA, ND all get preferential treatment. At the end of the day though OSU has to hope that other teams do a bunch of work in order to get in.

Even if Washington loses, FSU and Texas would have to lose for OSU to get it I would think. UT has better wins in total even if their loss is worse. FSU would be an undefeated power 5 champ.

Blaster

Why is that list laughable?

Vrabel has deep OSU roots.
Kiffin has done well at Ole Miss but he's probably gone as far as he can there. He's not getting to a CFP with UGA and Alabama in the way, but he could at OSU.
Meyer is probably the long shot of the group but if he had any inclination to come back to coaching why wouldn't he want to come back and be the "savior"?

If Georgia lost to Alabama they would still get in, but I don't know about OSU getting in now.

At this point who cares? I think this is the last year we have to worry about this since the playoffs will be expanded to end this nonsense.

Overall, OSU did much better and fixed much of what went wrong with Michigan last year.

The only problem was their QB McCord. The kid just can't help but turn the ball over and you can't do that in such games. There is really no way to fix the QB, rather, they just need to replace him.

To his credit, coach Day tried to get another QB, but the kid bailed on his commitment, so he was stuck with McCan't.

They were talking about BAMA being in the top 4. I’m sorry but doesn’t #5 move in to the top 4 now that Ohio is out?

There we’re a bunch of games yesterday where the ranked team almost lost but they all came back and won.

That BAMA game. Not what I was hoping for.

Welp both teams are undefeated and about to collide.

1. I think OSU looks like they have momentum at the right time.
2. I think since Michigan hasn’t had Harbaugh on the sidelines the play calling has been safe, predictable, and not very effective. McCarthy has like 21 pass attempts over the past 2 games, and they have a stud WR and stud TE that can both make big plays.

3 weeks ago I would have been far more confident than I am now. However, I’m glad Michigan has had a few closer games the past few weeks, as before that they were just pounding below average teams by 25-30 pts. Their schedule was back loaded with the tougher opponents, while Ohio State has had some easier tune-ups.

The game is in Ann Arbor, I think this year that’s huge. I think its nearly a toss-up as things stand now. If they played 5 weeks ago I’d have expected Michigan to win by 10 points at least
Clearly FSU is number 4 now right?

Michigan beating rival Ohio State, while Washington, FSU and Alabama all escaping with wins​

They were talking about BAMA being in the top 4. I’m sorry but doesn’t #5 move in to the top 4 now that Ohio is out?

There we’re a bunch of games yesterday where the ranked team almost lost but they all came back and won.

That BAMA game. Not what I was hoping for.
The top 4 this week will be UGA, Michigan, Washington and FSU likely in that order. If the committee puts anyone else in the top 4 they should be immediately fired.

The top 4 this week will be UGA, Michigan, Washington and FSU likely in that order. If the committee puts anyone else in the top 4 they should be immediately fired.
That's looks right. UW and FSU are going to get good games from Oregon and Ville.

As it relates to 1 loss teams don't sleep on Texas. They could jump to #4 under the right circumstances.

Clearly FSU is number 4 now right?

Michigan beating rival Ohio State, while Washington, FSU and Alabama all escaping with wins​

I’d say so right now.. but to the AP and CFP I’d say begrudgingly.

Even if FSU beats Louisville, Louisville lost so they will slip well into 14-15. I could see a 1 loss OSU being put in ahead of an undefeated FSU.

Blaster whats your deal today?

Even if FSU beats Louisville, Louisville lost so they will slip well into 14-15. I could see a 1 loss OSU being put in ahead of an undefeated FSU.

Will Louisville be higher or lower ranked than the team OSU plays next week?

If an undefeated. FSU is jumped Texas or an SEC Champion Alabama will be the one to do it. I just don’t see how 1 loss OSU jumps 2 Conference champions, one who’s undefeated and the other who has the best win of any of the 1 loss teams and maybe the best win of anyone regardless of record.

Not this week I don’t think. I could see the committee jumping Texas over FSU next week if they crush Ok St and FSU struggles against Louisville.
Correct Texas could leap them or UW depending on the CCGs.

Undefeated FSU or UW are locks for the playoff.

Blaster whats your deal today?

Will Louisville be higher or lower ranked than the team OSU plays next week?
OSU has no game, because they lost.

But I can hear OSU fans already saying “IF MICHIGAN LOSES TO IOWA WE SHOULD BE IN” lol
If an undefeated. FSU is jumped Texas or an SEC Champion Alabama will be the one to do it. I just don’t see how 1 loss OSU jumps 2 Conference champions, one who’s undefeated and the other who has the best win of any of the 1 loss teams and maybe the best win of anyone regardless of record.
I guess I don’t know if the CFP committee values being a conference champion or not. I’d say there’s plenty of OSU/Alabama sneak-ins over the years to say they don’t very much.

Conference championship games are obsolete in this system. If anything, they can only harm the winning teams that have to play an extra game against a usually top 20 or top 10 opponent.

They should be cut

Forum List

Back