McDonald's president who made $7.4 million last year says proposal to pay fast-food workers $22 an hour is 'costly and job-destroying'

Look at you clamoring for the people to work three jobs just to make ends meet.

Nobody has to work three jobs unless they made a lot of bad decisions in life.

As I said before, we had minimum wage jobs when I entered the workforce in the late 1970s and we have minimum wage jobs today. Nobody in the late 1970s could support themselves working minimum wage jobs and nobody can support themselves working them today. Nothing has changed. It's just the commies want you to think this is something that happened the last 10 years or so. It's always been this way.

The difference? Back then social programs didn't pay shit. If you wanted more money, you worked more hours or found a better paying job. Today if you only want to work 25 hours a week, you apply for all these programs to subsidize your laziness. That's why we have a labor shortage.

That's right. And I'll support more and more of it until we address the problem.
So you’ll support the idea of people living off of other people’s money, and refusing to get a job? Great way to destroy the country.

AND what “problem” are YOU talking about? I’m talking about the problem of handing out so much of Other People’s Money that they don’t have to work.

Nobody forced them to raise their wages. They did that on their own.
Minimum wage can force wage up, and drag them down.

Years ago, I worked in a large company that paid £1 to £2 per hour above minimum wage. I left and went self employed in to a different sector, but I still keep in touch with friends/colleagues of said business. They told me that everyone below assistant manager and manger is now on minimum wage. Full time positions have reduced in numbers, and although the number of part-timers have increased, they've technically reduced because the number of original full time hours are no longer covered.

It's called productivity. So at that time, your wage budget was 10% or your turnover. Turnover a million, you had £100,000 to spend. So you put a base structure in place, accounted for employment costs (NI and pensions), and overtime. You could spend up to £100,000, as long as you hit sales budget.
So put the wages up £1, or £2, or £3 per hour, or even £1,000 per hour, it's all irrelevant because you have £100,000 budget. This 10% went down to 7%.

So as minimum wage goes up, as a manger, you still have 7% of your turnover to spend on wages, so what happens? Full time positions get scrapped into part time because contracts below a certain number of hours doesn't attract Employers National Insurance. Then, you reduce the available hours. And to send people home if it's quiet, you give them zero hour contracts.

Then there's a point where the company raises prices to cover costs because productivity is squeezed so hard. And as prices increase, people say, "Minimum wage is not enough".

Minimum wage forced onto the market by legalisation is damaging, in the same way EV's are forced onto people by legalisation that's also damaging.

Nobody has to work three jobs unless they made a lot of bad decisions in life.

As I said before, we had minimum wage jobs when I entered the workforce in the late 1970s and we have minimum wage jobs today. Nobody in the late 1970s could support themselves working minimum wage jobs and nobody can support themselves working them today. Nothing has changed. It's just the commies want you to think this is something that happened the last 10 years or so. It's always been this way.

The difference? Back then social programs didn't pay shit. If you wanted more money, you worked more hours or found a better paying job. Today if you only want to work 25 hours a week, you apply for all these programs to subsidize your laziness. That's why we have a labor shortage.

In the 70's you could still go from High School to a decent paying factory job. Those jobs are now in Asia. But you know this.

So you’ll support the idea of people living off of other people’s money, and refusing to get a job? Great way to destroy the country.
Great. I want the current system destroyed. I've never denied that.

AND what “problem” are YOU talking about? I’m talking about the problem of handing out so much of Other People’s Money that they don’t have to work.

If businesses can freely break our employment laws, I support taking money out of the pockets of those benefitting from that to give to the people.

In the 70's you could still go from High School to a decent paying factory job. Those jobs are now in Asia. But you know this.

I also know there are great paying jobs today that Americans won't work. We can't find Americans to take those jobs.

Everybody needs money to survive. Tell me, how are people that don't work or work very little able to get income to survive?

I also know there are great paying jobs today that Americans won't work. We can't find Americans to take those jobs.

Everybody needs money to survive. Tell me, how are people that don't work or work very little able to get income to survive?

They don't exist. I do not have any obligation to address your boogeyman.

/----/ Not just the Unions, but the corporate tax, labor, and environmental laws made manufacturing too expensive to compete with the Far East and South America.

Agreed. Between the unions, the taxation, labor laws, and so forth, it became too damn expensive to produce here.

Great. I want the current system destroyed. I've never denied that.
What system? The system that requires a person to get some sort of vocational training to live a middle-class life, or otherwise share a townhouse rental with two or three other unskilled adults? What’s wrong with that?
If businesses can freely break our employment laws, I support taking money out of the pockets of those benefitting from that to give to the people.
What about the majority of businesses that do NOT break employ,wnt laws? You want to drive employment costs to such an artificially high level for unskilled people that businesses will be driven out of business? Why are libs so opposed to private ownership?

They don't exist. I do not have any obligation to address your boogeyman.

Bullshit, they are all over the place. Call the post office and ask them if they need help. Sometimes my mail doesn't get here until 7:00pm because they can't find carriers anymore. As I clearly demonstrated, transportation is really hurting for help and you can make six figures a year depending on what you're willing to do. Construction is another one. They can't find anybody that can pass a drug test to take these upper paying jobs. Police officer? Most major cities and many smaller ones are hurting for applicants to become a police officer.

What system? The system that requires a person to get some sort of vocational training to live a middle-class life, or otherwise share a townhouse rental with two or three other unskilled adults? What’s wrong with that?

What about the majority of businesses that do NOT break employ,wnt laws? You want to drive employment costs to such an artificially high level for unskilled people that businesses will be driven out of business? Why are libs so opposed to private ownership?

I am pro-life. I fully support the 2nd Amendment. I want a balanced budget. I do not support raising the debt limit. I support the electoral college. I support leaving the Supreme Court at 9.

What makes me a lib? My belief that business should not be able to freely break our employment laws?

If so, what is that saying about Conservatives?

I am pro-life. I fully support the 2nd Amendment. I want a balanced budget. I do not support raising the debt limit. I support the electoral college. I support leaving the Supreme Court at 9.

What makes me a lib? My belief that business should not be able to freely break our employment laws?

If so, what is that saying about Conservatives?
1) Your disdain for business in general, even though the vast majority obey employment law, and your willingness to see them driven out of business by driving wages up to an artificial level.

2) Your support of the idea of welfare for able-bodied adults who simply prefer to live off of OPM rather than get a job.

/----/ Not just the Unions, but the corporate tax, labor, and environmental laws made manufacturing too expensive to compete with the Far East and South America.
Are you aware of the air quality in those countries? Drinking water quality? It's horrible. Is that what you want? If we got rid of all regulations imagine what American industry would wantingly and willingly do. Toxify everything more than they have now.

1) Your disdain for business in general, even though the vast majority obey employment law, and your willingness to see them driven out of business by driving wages up to an artificial level.

2) Your support of the idea of welfare for able-bodied adults who simply prefer to live off of OPM rather than get a job.
I can support people having to work to get some assistance if their wages are low. One can't live a good life on a low wage.

Bullshit, they are all over the place. Call the post office and ask them if they need help. Sometimes my mail doesn't get here until 7:00pm because they can't find carriers anymore. As I clearly demonstrated, transportation is really hurting for help and you can make six figures a year depending on what you're willing to do. Construction is another one. They can't find anybody that can pass a drug test to take these upper paying jobs. Police officer? Most major cities and many smaller ones are hurting for applicants to become a police officer.

The shortage is because baby boomers like myself said screw it and retired. Anecdotal examples are pretty worthless (even though you seem to enjoy them) but when I retired in 2020 at 58, quite a few of us retired in our 50's around the same time.

I made enough to live without working and decided that a better option than making sure I had a new car every couple years.

The job I hired into in 1995 no longer exists as it did in 1995. It's still a better job than McD's but when I was hired there was 4 mechanics per day (2 on each shift). When I left there was 1 and a floater per day. One on day shift and one that floated between buildings on nights. When I was hired there was 2 supervisors per shift. When I left there was none.

The job I initially worked is now a contracted out job. They did their best to move my job to China but did end up failing at it.

I can support people having to work to get some assistance if their wages are low. One can't live a good life on a low wage.

It's called a corporate subsidy. They want people who work hard for 40 hours but don't want to pay them enough to make ends meet. They want the taxpayer see to that.

58 is a good age to retire. The last thing a working person is going to consider retiring is the well being of the company. Retire as soon as possible is the mantra of 99 percent of people.

Forum List

Back