Mccain: American's Won't Pick Lettuce for $50/hr

Whenever I heard this nonsense that Americans won't work these jobs I know I am in BS land. The problem here isn't the work; it is the infrastructure that supports it. In order to do these jobs one has to be able to get there. Many immigrants are loners, they do not have family, they do not even go to a single location for very long. What American can leave his/her family and friends to travel to a desolate farm in CA or NJ. Even our youth cannot easily do this and I would prefer they get an education. And there is no effort by American companies to move people about because that too will cause added costs. How to solve is harder, the day someone can show me an America who won't work for 50$ a day is the day they show me a republican elitist.

The Conservative Nanny State

A vote for John McCain is a vote against the fundamental principle of America, the right of the individual to lead their life privately without the government interfering.

Come to Texas ---the illegals drag their entire families up here. They are more than willing to do it----

Take away welfare handouts.. and I bet those blueberries get picked by someone who wants to have money for food

They are already being picked, by Americans or by LEGAL immigrants....welfare is still needed, at least i believe it is, in this state, though most work 2-3 jobs....not welfare as handouts for doing nothing, but many will certainly need some help in paying their OIL heating bills....or with medical expences if they get sick, cuz many can not afford healthcare up here and manual labor jobs usually do not offer it as a benefit.

it's a whole nother world up here....at least to me, as an outsider viewing it, now living here.....something to be admired, the hard working lot of people...happy, to just make ends meet.

They are already being picked, by Americans or by LEGAL immigrants....welfare is still needed, at least i believe it is, in this state, though most work 2-3 jobs....not welfare as handouts for doing nothing, but many will certainly need some help in paying their OIL heating bills....or with medical expences if they get sick, cuz many can not afford healthcare up here and manual labor jobs usually do not offer it as a benefit.

it's a whole nother world up here....at least to me, as an outsider viewing it, now living here.....something to be admired, the hard working lot of people...happy, to just make ends meet.

They need "help"... do something for it... freaking WORK... I don't care if you have to work 2, 3 or 4 jobs... it is your responsibility to take care of yourself

Your son is one of the few left and I seriously doubt he intends to continue in the manual labor field after he gets his degree.

isnt that why people get their degrees?

to get through school i worked at friendlys, a school supply warehouse, and an icecream warehouse at 20 degrees (where the starting wage was $10. fair compensation for moving packages of icecream while freezing your ass off? you decide). and im still tens of thousands of dollars in debt from student loans.

if there really was a farm offering $50 to pick lettuce, you better believe that there would be a shitload of people trying to get a job there

isnt that why people get their degrees?

to get through school i worked at friendlys, a school supply warehouse, and an icecream warehouse at 20 degrees (where the starting wage was $10. fair compensation for moving packages of icecream while freezing your ass off? you decide). and im still tens of thousands of dollars in debt from student loans.

if there really was a farm offering $50 to pick lettuce, you better believe that there would be a shitload of people trying to get a job there

And you better believe lettuce would cost $100 a head

They need "help"... do something for it... freaking WORK... I don't care if you have to work 2, 3 or 4 jobs... it is your responsibility to take care of yourself

you are such a fool and a tool with no ability to think outside of your own small litlle and narrow box.....

get a grip, and release your hatred for others and love of thyself....you'd be much happier and feel better, guaranteed!

There are only so many hours in a day to work, holding 3 jobs is more than most human beings can bear....anyone holding 3 jobs should be able to afford their heating oil bill, if they can't then they have to get some help....nothing for YOU to worry about, most of this is State delivered help....

you are the most unsmypathetic,unempathetic, uncompassionate, cold as ice person, that i have EVER come across in all my years of posting....what makes people like you???

i am sorry if i have been rude, but you come the closest to what is defined as a narcissistic personality, that i have come in contact with....and man oh man, it is not becoming at all....

our government, and the lack of regulation or the demollishing of regulation along with the overspending while giving tax cuts, and borrowing money from foreigners to pay the bills, (devaluing the dollar) is what has caused the heating oil prices to go UP SO MUCH in the first place....i have no problems what so ever, thinking the gvt should be there to help the people they SCREWED... with heating their homes....none!

Care

you are such a fool and a tool with no ability to think outside of your own small litlle and narrow box.....

get a grip, and release your hatred for others and love of thyself....you'd be much happier and feel better, guaranteed!

There are only so many hours in a day to work, holding 3 jobs is more than most human beings can bear....anyone holding 3 jobs should be able to afford their heating oil bill, if they can't then they have to get some help....nothing for YOU to worry about, most of this is State delivered help....

you are the most unsmypathetic,unempathetic, uncompassionate, cold as ice person, that i have EVER come across in all my years of posting....what makes people like you???

i am sorry if i have been rude, but you come the closest to what is defined as a narcissistic personality, that i have come in contact with....and man oh man, it is not becoming at all....

our government, and the lack of regulation or the demollishing of regulation along with the overspending while giving tax cuts, and borrowing money from foreigners to pay the bills, (devaluing the dollar) is what has caused the heating oil prices to go UP SO MUCH in the first place....i have no problems what so ever, thinking the gvt should be there to help the people they SCREWED... with heating their homes....none!

Care

And again... tool... it is not anyone else's responsibility to take care of you... it is your responsibility to take care of you... whether it is super hard and takes a ton of effort or not....

You don't mind 'helping' those who are 'screwed' as long as you can 'screw' those who you don't think deserve what they have

Again... for the billionth time.... not wanted forced government wealth redistribution handouts, is not being without compassion... I fully support the VOLUNTARY helping of others thru charity... but it is nobody else's RESPONSIBILITY to give you what you want or supposedly "need"

And again... tool... it is not anyone else's responsibility to take care of you... it is your responsibility to take care of you... whether it is super hard and takes a ton of effort or not....

You don't mind 'helping' those who are 'screwed' as long as you can 'screw' those who you don't think deserve what they have

Again... for the billionth time.... not wanted forced government wealth redistribution handouts, is not being without compassion... I fully support the VOLUNTARY helping of others thru charity... but it is nobody else's RESPONSIBILITY to give you what you want or supposedly "need"

i thoroughly understand your position Dave...but i see it as shortsighted....like i said previously, these people who USED to be able to afford their oil heating bills with the three jobs they worked, can NOT afford it now DUE TO THE GVTS ACTIONS OR LACK THEIR OF....not due to them not working hard enough to support themselves....i moved here in December of 06, i have not even lived here for 2 years yet....i just pulled out my oil bills to add up what kind of useage i have of oil in a year's time....the first time i filled the oil tank in our new home, 12/06, i paid $2.16 cents for oil, UP from $1.75 that oil was in 2005 according to what i have read....

well, anyway, my last oil bill and fill was may 08, and i paid $4.39 cents a gallon for my oil.... this is MORE THAN A 100% INCREASE in the price of heating oil in just a year and half....a year and a half....NO ONE can reasonably improve their jobs and get a 100% increase in their pay in just a year and a half to keep their heating oil bills in proportion to their pay.....

this has happened with oil BECAUSE OF BAD DECISIONS by our government, and those that BENEFITED from these moves by our government get no sympathy from me....

i thoroughly understand your position Dave...but i see it as shortsighted....like i said previously, these people who USED to be able to afford their oil heating bills with the three jobs they worked, can NOT afford it now DUE TO THE GVTS ACTIONS OR LACK THEIR OF....not due to them not working hard enough to support themselves....i moved here in December of 06, i have not even lived here for 2 years yet....i just pulled out my oil bills to add up what kind of useage i have of oil in a year's time....the first time i filled the oil tank in our new home, 12/06, i paid $2.16 cents for oil, UP from $1.75 that oil was in 2005 according to what i have read....

well, anyway, my last oil bill and fill was may 08, and i paid $4.39 cents a gallon for my oil.... this is MORE THAN A 100% INCREASE in the price of heating oil in just a year and half....a year and a half....NO ONE can reasonably improve their jobs and get a 100% increase in their pay in just a year and a half to keep their heating oil bills in proportion to their pay.....

this has happened with oil BECAUSE OF BAD DECISIONS by our government, and those that BENEFITED from these moves by our government get no sympathy from me....

So more government intervention and control over a wealth redistribution system to deliver this "help" is the answer to bad government decisions..

:cuckoo:

So more government intervention and control over a wealth redistribution system to deliver this "help" is the answer to bad government decisions..

:cuckoo:

no, it's really not an ANSWER, on that we agree. it is a temporary fix to let the people not DIE from freezing to death, which some did die last year in maine due to it....

the answer comes with regulations that were abolished, being reinstated and with our government cutting their ridiculous spending on nonessential things....i don't see helping with this crisis situation as nonessential....and many many charity groups are out there to help these people that can not afford oil to heat their homes now...the State gvt ONLY helps those that make LESS THAN $17k AS A COUPLE......a couple! both, charity and gvt help last year was still not enough, and people ended up doing stupid things, like trying to heat their homes with a generator in their basement and space heaters and them and their children dying from cabon monoxide poisoning....and this winter oil is even higher than last winter.....

there is help for the poor, the under $17k for a family of 2, but those that make over this amount, the middle class are being squeezed to the hilt and falling thru the cracks....and are in dispair....

they have paid their state, local, property, payroll and federal taxes their ENTIRE LIVES, to get some help from their own taxes that they have paid, is NOT redistribution of wealth....no matter how you want to frame it that way....

care

no, it's really not an ANSWER, on that we agree. it is a temporary fix to let the people not DIE from freezing to death, which some did die last year in maine due to it....

the answer comes with regulations that were abolished, being reinstated and with our government cutting their ridiculous spending on nonessential things....i don't see helping with this crisis situation as nonessential....and many many charity groups are out there to help these people that can not afford oil to heat their homes now...the State gvt ONLY helps those that make LESS THAN $17k AS A COUPLE......a couple! both, charity and gvt help last year was still not enough, and people ended up doing stupid things, like trying to heat their homes with a generator in their basement and space heaters and them and their children dying from cabon monoxide poisoning....and this winter oil is even higher than last winter.....

there is help for the poor, the under $17k for a family of 2, but those that make over this amount, the middle class are being squeezed to the hilt and falling thru the cracks....and are in dispair....

they have paid their state, local, property, payroll and federal taxes their ENTIRE LIVES, to get some help from their own taxes that they have paid, is NOT redistribution of wealth....no matter how you want to frame it that way....

care

Just because you paid dues to play in your bowling league for 17 straight years, does not mean that you have the right to bowl next year without paying... and it does not mean that the rest of the league if RESPONSIBLE to pay it for you out of their own pockets, just because they can afford to

If you are in despair, seems like you would be damn motivated to do whatever you have to do to get out of that desperate situation

The government was not created and should not be a charity system... you are the only one responsible for you and your situation... and while I and others like me do contribute to many charities that are there with the willfulness to help people in certain situations, it does not mean we should be FORCED to do so thru any government system

handouts are indeed a form of wealth redistribution... whether you like to admit it or not

But you and I are in total agreement that the government needs to cut spending on non essential things... such as bridges to nowhere, grants to artists, ads to encourage us to appreciate the natural beauty around us in this country, entitlement handouts, etc...

Just because you paid dues to play in your bowling league for 17 straight years, does not mean that you have the right to bowl next year without paying... and it does not mean that the rest of the league if RESPONSIBLE to pay it for you out of their own pockets, just because they can afford to

If you are in despair, seems like you would be damn motivated to do whatever you have to do to get out of that desperate situation

The government was not created and should not be a charity system... you are the only one responsible for you and your situation... and while I and others like me do contribute to many charities that are there with the willfulness to help people in certain situations, it does not mean we should be FORCED to do so thru any government system

handouts are indeed a form of wealth redistribution... whether you like to admit it or not

But you and I are in total agreement that the government needs to cut spending on non essential things... such as bridges to nowhere, grants to artists, ads to encourage us to appreciate the natural beauty around us in this country, entitlement handouts, etc...

i think you misjudge the character and hard working people of maine...they couldn't work ANY HARDER even if they were all superman or superwoman...than they already do, to survive and pay their taxes....and it is not the other bowlers paying for them, it is them paying for themselves, a hundred times over, getting nothing in return for their taxes given....we don't have that many luxeries up here, for the most part....my town doesn't even have police, a volunteer fire dept and no schools for the children that live here, they have to go to school in another town....no one plows my road for snow, there is no public water and there is no public sewer...we are pretty much self sufficient way up here....no one comes in and helps us for every little thing....they HATE government up here....if the whole state and whole country could be abolished of gvt, i believe these people would do it in a heartbeat....but we still have a huge sales tax, and big property taxes, and also a big state income tax and huge gas taxes both state and federal...the highest cigarette taxes in the nation which hits the poor for the most part, along with federal income taxes and payroll taxes....we really don't get that much in benefits from any of this, up here where i live....we have a good size national guard and have suffered more than most, with our losses of soldiers sent to iraq....i'm telling ya, these people are good, very hard working, Americans....i have lived in or traveled and spent time in more than 30 or our States and i have never seen anything like these people in Maine....they ARE Americans....

They are not sitting back for gvt to help them.....THEY KNOW IT WON'T....they have lived with this situation of non reliance on gvt their entire lives...if they have a wood stove...they are out there chainsawing trees right now if they have any trees they can spare for it, or they are buying them by the 8 foot log and cutting and splitting it themselves to save money per cord to prepair for this coming winter....that is, they are doing this, ONCE they are DONE with their THREE other jobs.....they are recaulking their windows in their homes, adding even more insullation to their homes, adding storm doors and weather stripping....they are doing ALL that they possibly can, to make this winter a livable situation for them and their children...they hunted more this past year, to save on their meat/food money just to afford the oil to heat their water....

They ARE NOT the kind of people to NOT take their own lives in to their own hands....but in situations like this....all that they are doing is not going to be enough....not even with charity...who ran way short last year, where prices were less than they are going to be this year....

this is where a helping hand is needed.

Care

Last edited:
and just because something is needed by someone does not mean that it is to be taken from others to provide it.... that is a simple concept you do not get

you are not 'supposed' to get something back for taxes.. taxes are to run the government... as you stated, the schools, police departments, courts, military etc

I am not saying that you are ones in your area do not work hard... just that nobody is 'entitled' to a handout... would it be great to put the word out that help is needed so that charities can raise more money to help? Hell yes.... but when it comes down to it, as stated SO many times, you are the only one responsible for you.... if I were in an area where I knew I would be having such a hard time taking care of me and my family, I FREAKING MOVE, lock stock and barrel... I don't expect the government to 'help' me in my personal responsibility for food, shelter, etc

and just because something is needed by someone does not mean that it is to be taken from others to provide it.... that is a simple concept you do not get

you are not 'supposed' to get something back for taxes.. taxes are to run the government... as you stated, the schools, police departments, courts, military etc

I am not saying that you are ones in your area do not work hard... just that nobody is 'entitled' to a handout... would it be great to put the word out that help is needed so that charities can raise more money to help? Hell yes.... but when it comes down to it, as stated SO many times, you are the only one responsible for you.... if I were in an area where I knew I would be having such a hard time taking care of me and my family, I FREAKING MOVE, lock stock and barrel... I don't expect the government to 'help' me in my personal responsibility for food, shelter, etc

for the last time, they are not taking from others....they have MORE THAN CONTRIBUTED their fair share of gvt taxes and gotten nothing in return so far....they have given their taxes towards helping the poorest among us survive, and towards things that others in the State or feds thought were important...like bailing out Bear Sterns and fannie mae with their taxes....and giving a tax credit to a big corporation, corporate welfare so to say....

if they need to get something back, from all that they have given and contributed towards their society/gvt over their lives, they are NOT in any way, taking money from others....you are just being obtuse....

btw, you don't post on another board under the name of Dano or DanoDeMano do you? :)

you got me thinking and although i have never met anyone exactly like you, i did meet someone that seems close to you on another board over the years and i haven't seen him around for a while....just wondering if you are him?

Care

And MOVING is not an option for poor people or even the middle class...we moved our household from just massachusetts to maine, shopped around and went with the absolute cheapest no name Mover and it cost us nearly 10 grand for the move....most people do not have this capability....besides the fact that Roots mean something up here....families are still here from the colonialization of maine...back to when maine was a part of the commonwealth of massachusetts....to tear a family and family roots apart is unethical....and not an option for that reason alone.

And MOVING is not an option for poor people or even the middle class...we moved our household from just massachusetts to maine, shopped around and went with the absolute cheapest no name Mover and it cost us nearly 10 grand for the move....most people do not have this capability....besides the fact that Roots mean something up here....families are still here from the colonialization of maine...back to when maine was a part of the commonwealth of massachusetts....to tear a family and family roots apart is unethical....and not an option for that reason alone.

Stop--I'm going to cry. :frown:

ahhhhhhh, never thought you had an ounce of political compassion in you!...:D

You know full well I was being sarcastic---people who hate government interference shouldn't expect any help from them. And I wanna go through these "poor" peoples homes and see what all they have wasted money on. The government doesn't have a monopoly on waste.

Forum List

Back