Martin Luther King Jr’s Daughter: ‘Many Who Quote Him Now Would Have Hated Him Then’

IM2

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 11, 2015
This thread is dedicated to all whites here at USMB who try telling us blacks about King.

This is MARTIN LUTHER KINGS DAUGHTER TALKING.

Martin Luther King Jr’s Daughter: ‘Many Who Quote Him Now Would Have Hated Him Then’

Stephen Silver

Monday is Martin Luther King Day, and in the social media era, it’s been a common occurance for individuals, political movements, and brands to quote Dr. King — or use his legacy in ways that the legendary civil rights leader may not have approved.

Someone else has noticed this tendency: Dr. King’s youngest daughter, Bernice King.

“Many who quote him now would have hated him then,” Bernice wrote on her Twitter account Sunday night. “He was assassinated for trying to eradicate the evils some claim he’d support today. But he was a Christ-centered, love-fueled, justice-seeking, peacemaking, globally-minded, nonviolent revolutionary & prophet.”

Some conservatives have seized on the “I Have a Dream” speech line, “I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character,” as an argument against affirmative action and for “color blind” policies. Others have argued, per Human Events, that King was actually a conservative or a Republican. This is false, according to PolitiFact.

I am one of those. I was raised a southern baptist one of the most hateful of all churches. I grew out of hate as I got older and made friends with black people and worked with them.

I am one of those. I was raised a southern baptist one of the most hateful of all churches. I grew out of hate as I got older and made friends with black people and worked with them.

I have black friends defense huh?

To me King was trying to say that someday people will just be judged by their potential and actions, not by color. How many liberals would be attacking King for being religiously based these days though? It seems we start to get one part right, but slide on another.

Last edited:
This thread is dedicated to all whites here at USMB who try telling us blacks about King.

Stephen Silver

Monday is Martin Luther King Day, and in the social media era, it’s been a common occurance for individuals, political movements, and brands to quote Dr. King — or use his legacy in ways that the legendary civil rights leader may not have approved.

Someone else has noticed this tendency: Dr. King’s youngest daughter, Bernice King.

“Many who quote him now would have hated him then,” Bernice wrote on her Twitter account Sunday night. “He was assassinated for trying to eradicate the evils some claim he’d support today. But he was a Christ-centered, love-fueled, justice-seeking, peacemaking, globally-minded, nonviolent revolutionary & prophet.”

Some conservatives have seized on the “I Have a Dream” speech line, “I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character,” as an argument against affirmative action and for “color blind” policies. Others have argued, per Human Events, that King was actually a conservative or a Republican. This is false, according to PolitiFact.

I think you should be judged by the content of your character. You should pray that you are not.

Stephen Silver

I think you should be judged by the content of your character. You should pray that you are not.

I think you are an example of what Kings daughter talks about,

To me King was trying to say that someday people will just be judged by their potential and actions, not by color. How many liberals would be attacking King for being religiously based these days though? It seems we start to get one part right, but slide on another.

None. You probably need to learn what King stood for before you tale one sentence he made during his life out of context.

None. You probably need to learn what King stood for before you tale one sentence he made during his life out of context.

Oh I leave making a mockery of King up to you. You do it frequently.

I am the OP and the MLK I saw would be called a race pimp by people like you. Because the King you have made up never existed.

Being the OP doesn't make you judge and jury bub. You dishonor King with your hatred and bigotry.

Oh I leave making a mockery of King up to you. You do it frequently.

I know more about King than you ever will.

Like this.

Martin Luther King Jr.: "My dream has turned into a nightmare"

I am the OP and the MLK I saw would be called a race pimp by people like you. Because the King you have made up never existed.

Being the OP doesn't make you judge and jury bub. You dishonor King with your hatred and bigotry.

In this case it does. I honor King with my resistance to your racism.

Forum List

Back