Mark Charles - Native Navajo for President in 2020

emilynghiem

Constitutionalist / Universalist
Jan 21, 2010
National Freedmen's Town District
I'm supposed to add at least one line of comment to this.
But I find it best to respect letting this candidate speak for himself.
=======================
I guess I can clarify that 3/5 representation of slaves was never meant to mean treating each person as "3/5 human." It was referring to how to count the numbers, similar to going with 2/3 majority or 3/4 majority instead of 51/49.

If you are going to talk about solutions to minority representation, why not organize more direct representation by local precincts and proportional representation by Electoral College districts. Then add Conflict Resolution so decisions are made by consensus among parties.

As for the 3/5 concept, what I look at today: If people pay taxes at a 40% rate, that means 60% of your labor and income you keep (or 3/5) and 2/5 that you are REQUIRED to pay to government. So aren't higher tax rates more symbolic of being "3/5 free and 2/5 slave"?

=========================================
Navajo Mark Charles Announces He is Running for President in 2020; Wants “We the People” to Mean “All the People”

Mark-Charles-Announces-600x330.png

Mark Charles, a tribal citizen of the Navajo Nation, announced he is running for president of the United States in 2020.

Charles, who is one of the country’s leading experts on the Doctrine of Discovery, challenges Americans to get past the current politics of whether America needs to be great again or the opposing viewpoint that America is already great and enter into a national dialouge that involves race, gender and class.

He calls his campaign an 18-month journey.

In his announcment video that runs almost nine minutes, Charles argues “We the People” in the U.S. Constitution was not inclusive of women or Native Americans and only considered African American slaves as only being 3/5 of a person. Charles says even with the attempt to remedy the injustice of slavery of African Americans, the United States now has the highest rate of incarceration in the world with a disproportionate of people of color.

Charles says “We the people have never meant all the people.” He feels it is time for inclusion. He says it is time for “We the people to truly means all the people.”

Neither a Democrat or a Republican, Charles, who lives in Washington D.C., is running as an independent.

Forum List

Back