Someone wants to use the 14th Amendment to fix the 2024 election for Dems.

Where?

"No person shall be a Senator or Representative in Congress, or elector of President and Vice-President, or hold any office, civil or military, under the United States, or under any State, who, having previously taken an oath, as a member of Congress, or as an officer of the United States, or as a member of any State legislature, or as an executive or judicial officer of any State, to support the Constitution of the United States, shall have engaged in insurrection or rebellion against the same, or given aid or comfort to the enemies thereof. But Congress may by a vote of two-thirds of each House, remove such disability."

If it doesn't define insurrection of rebellion, you need some proof. With the Confederates being listed in an article of secession, or being in the Confederate Government, or being in the Confederate Armed Forces was proof enough.

Trump has never been convicted or even formally charged with insurrection or rebellion.

Expediting Jack Smith's damning case against the Trumpybear would do that, but a conviction is not required by the Amendment to be disqualified from office.

“I think it’s important that the American people know what happened in the days before January 6,” Pence said. “President Trump demanded that I use my authority as vice president presiding over the count of the Electoral College to essentially overturn the election by returning or literally rejecting votes. I had no authority to do that.”

The dumb fuck Trumpyberra did it to himself. “Mike Pence didn't have the courage to do what should have been done.” Jan 6th tweet......
You guys will never understand simply because you don't want to. The Amendment is referring to an actual insurrection. States left the union. You keep trying to turn a protest into something it isn't. The US Supreme Court will soon set you straight.

The protest ended when they breached the police barricades. It became a riot when the trump rioters demanding access to the Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi and to hang Mike Pence for not performing the unconstitutional act Trump demanded of him, it became Trump's rebellion and an Trump's insurrection.
Prove your charges in court.

If it doesn't define insurrection of rebellion, you need some proof. With the Confederates being listed in an article of secession, or being in the Confederate Government, or being in the Confederate Armed Forces was proof enough.

Trump has never been convicted or even formally charged with insurrection or rebellion.
If the intent was to required a conviction for either they would have said "shall have engaged in and been convicted of insurrection or rebellion.." instead of "shall have engaged in insurrection or rebellion.."

You guys will never understand simply because you don't want to. The Amendment is referring to an actual insurrection. States left the union. You keep trying to turn a protest into something it isn't. The US Supreme Court will soon set you straight.
I have to agree with BS here (as much as that pains me). Trump is guilty of inciting a riot, a riot that destroyed federal property and cost some people their lives. And maybe that alone should disqualify him. But insurrection is reaching. I know he was pushing the limits with elector shenanigans etc, and pushing election officials to disqualify the results, but I don't believe that's not the kind of "insurrection" the authors of the 14th had in mind.

Once the police barricades were breached it became a riot and rebellion/insurrection against the Constitution.

If the intent was to required a conviction for either they would have said "shall have engaged in and been convicted of insurrection or rebellion.." instead of "shall have engaged in insurrection or rebellion.."

They had that easily covered due to membership in the Confederate government or Military, Or signers or voters for articles of Secession.

So a judge can say Biden gave comfort to insurrection due to his border fuckup and he can be banned from the ballot as well?

What about that he isn't enforcing border access laws properly, allowing anyone entering to claim they are seeking asylum?

I have to agree with BS here (as much as that pains me). Trump is guilty of inciting a riot, a riot that destroyed federal property and cost some people their lives. And maybe that alone should disqualify him. But insurrection is reaching. I know he was pushing the limits with elector shenanigans etc, and pushing election officials to disqualify the results, but I don't believe that's not the kind of "insurrection" the authors of the 14th had in mind.

Incitement is a very specific charge. At no time did he say damage property or harm anyone, in fact the opposite is true.

Incitement is a very specific charge. At no time did he say damage property or harm anyone, in fact the opposite is true.
Well, I disagree there. If a BLM leader has been in his place, given a similar speech, and the crowd stormed the Capital building, you can bet they'd be charged and likely convicted.

Well, I disagree there. If a BLM leader has been in his place, given a similar speech, and the crowd stormed the Capital building, you can bet they'd be charged and likely convicted.

Not if they said exactly what he said. Again, no incitement to actual violence. The laws are very strictly written.

If the Trump inspired riot at the Capitol, to halt Congress from performing it's duty while it was in a once every 4 year joint session counting the Presidential votes of the States was the only thing that was involved in the plot to overturn the election of Joe Biden, I might agree with you.

Your opinion only. The Constitution is talking about states that rebelled.
Federal law defines a riot as a public disturbance involving three or more persons engaging in acts of violence with a clear and present danger of damage to property or injury to people.

Where do the authors specify that the amendment was only about States that rebelled? What language did they use to limit the future use of the Amendment to States that secede or go to war with the US?

If he is an insurrectionist, he has to be convicted of insurrection, barring some evidence of secession or serving in a secessionist government or military.

That was the standard used after the civil war.

The thing is what you are really trying to do is deprive the people who want to vote for him the right to vote for him.

He has to be convicted if you intend to deprive him of life, liberty, or property. Nobody is doing that.

And what affects your right to vote for him. Every election Mickey Mouse gets thousands of votes and that name has never been on any ballot ever. You can vote for anyone you want. Every state has a write in option.

Forum List

Back