Judge rules for Kountze cheerleaders in Bible banner suit

How are the cheerleaders violating The Constitution?

Do they not have 1st Amendment rights as well?

if you can't avoid praying for the time you're in school, you should go to a parochial school and not to a public school which has rules about those things.

i'm pretty sure that if it were a school in michigan and the cheerleaders were muslim you'd be whining about creeping sha'ria

Stop telling me what I would be doing... If the cheerleaders wanted to do that in Michigan, I'd say nothing... are they inciting violence? If not, so what.... they can do what they want.

Why must you ALWAYS take the wrong side on the Constitution?

Plus, when did anyone say the school required prayer?

Stick to the topic... the signs are made by the kids. Leave them alone for Gods sake!!

Remember... it is freedom OF religion, not freedom FROM religion.

bubbalah...one doesn't exist without the other.

if someone like me went to school where the cheerleading squad carried around jesus signs, it would have excluded someone like me or i'd have been forced to conform.

the whole POINT is that there is no government funded religion... and someone like me should be able to go to school without the SCHOOL sponsoring the G-d squad.

Judge rules for Kountze cheerleaders in Bible banner suit

AUSTIN — A judge says an East Texas school district policy barring cheerleaders from quoting biblical scripture on banners at high school football games appears to violate their free speech rights.

KFDM television in Beaumont reports that District Judge Steve Thomas issued an injunction allowing the Kountze High School cheerleaders to continue displaying such banners pending the outcome of a lawsuit about the matter. He previously granted a temporary restraining order allowing the practice to continue.

The school district ordered the cheerleaders to stop quoting Bible verses after receiving a complaint from the Freedom From Religion Foundation. The group says it received a complaint from an atheist attending a game who felt the school was promoting Christianity.

Thoughts?

it will be overturned if real judges get to it.

if they take state money they can't do that.

District Judge Steve Thomas isn't a real federal judge?

Tell me counselor on what grounds will it be overturned?

Its a public school. Religion has no place in a public school.

According to who?

Have you read the 1st Amendment? Do you understand what it means?

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Is congress making a law here? Noooooooooo

Are the athiest loons trying to abridge their right to exercise their religious freedoms? Yessssss

Are the atheist loons trying to abridge their freedom of speech? yesssssssss

So I ask, who in this case is violoating the Constitution?

"The kids" are wearing their uniforms and representing their school (on all the taxpayers' money) as they hold religious signs for the football team at a game (on all the taxpayers' money) to run through. East Texans would go bezerk even if the Muslim teams were in North Dakota or Maine.

Most of you supporting the KHS cheerleaders here would go through the ceiling if they were Muslim and holding up religious signs with sayings from the Quran for the team to run through.

ps: as a Christian, my own opinion is that my Lord and Savior is not really concerned if KHS wins or loses.

if you can't avoid praying for the time you're in school, you should go to a parochial school and not to a public school which has rules about those things.

i'm pretty sure that if it were a school in michigan and the cheerleaders were muslim you'd be whining about creeping sha'ria

Stop telling me what I would be doing... If the cheerleaders wanted to do that in Michigan, I'd say nothing... are they inciting violence? If not, so what.... they can do what they want.

Stick to the topic... the signs are made by the kids. Leave them alone for Gods sake!!

That's one weak ass strawman.

if someone like me went to school where the cheerleading squad carried around jesus signs, it would have excluded someone like me or i'd have been forced to conform.

the whole POINT is that there is no government funded religion... and someone like me should be able to go to school without the SCHOOL sponsoring the G-d squad.

Hey counselor, the government is not funding these signs therefore ther're not funding religion.

I'd argue the tax breaks churches get is more like the govt. funding religion than this nonsense.

Why aren't you whining about that?

Fact 1, the cheer leaders when wearing their uniforms are representing the tax-supported school.

Fact 2, SCOTUS has clearly stated when and when not such activities are permitted or not.

Fact 3, this will be the last year the KHS cheer leaders will be allowed to do this.

"The kids" are wearing their uniforms and representing their school (on all the taxpayers' money) as they hold religious signs for the football team at a game (on all the taxpayers' money) to run through. East Texans would go bezerk even if the Muslim teams were in North Dakota or Maine.

Most of you supporting the KHS cheerleaders here would go through the ceiling if they were Muslim and holding up religious signs with sayings from the Quran for the team to run through.

ps: as a Christian, my own opinion is that my Lord and Savior is not really concerned if KHS wins or loses.

What state do you live in where the tax payer pays for the kids uniforms? Here's the facts. the Cheerleaders are well within their Constitutional rights and the Constitution says the govt cannot prohibit the free exercise of relgion or of speech. All the rest of this is just pure bs.

Fact 1, the cheer leaders when wearing their uniforms are representing the tax-supported school.

Fact 2, SCOTUS has clearly stated when and when not such activities are permitted or not.

Fact 3, this will be the last year the KHS cheer leaders will be allowed to do this.

What state do you live in where the tax payer pays for the kids uniforms? Here's the facts. the Cheerleaders are well within their Constitutional rights and the Constitution says the govt cannot prohibit the free exercise of relgion or of speech. All the rest of this is just pure bs.

Links?

Lonestar the Constitutional scholar? :lol:

Would you be cool with the girls holding up signs to run through that had verses from the Quran?

You have offered nothing but your opinion, and my opinion always trumps yours.

When you offer links, I will be glad to do so.

Links?

Would you be cool with the girls holding up signs to run through that had verses from the Quran?

It's a rather simple document. You should read it sometime.

No I probably wouldn't like it, but it would be within their rights.

Links?

I haven't made any claims that I need to support with links.

Do I really need to link you to the 1st Amendment?

you mean liberal?

If the majority of the kids where muslim and there was no insult to non-muslims what’s the problem? There are no insults to non-Christians. Selective outrage here is a joke. one if my customers told me "Jesus loves me" When she found out I was Jewish, should I have been offended? No I wasn't

Last edited:
I you suggest were so, I agree, Jroc. But it is not about majority, either.

But Santa Fe ISD got sanctioned by SCOTUS twice because the evangelical Christian kids would not let the Catholic and Mormon kids pray over the PA also. Now the public ed kids ahve a moment of silence instead, and no one gets to pray over the PA.

What folks don't get is that the Constitution is for everybody, not just some.

If the majority of the kids where muslim and there was no insult to non-muslims what’s the problem? There are no insults to non-Christians. Selective outrage here is a joke. one if my customers told be "Jesus loves me" When she found out I was Jewish, should I have been offended? No I wasn't

You are not a Constitutional scholar, so your opinion about it means nothing here.

Links?

Still waiting on those link I asked you about.

Are you a Constitutional scholar?

Do you need to be one before you can have an opinion on what you consider Constitutional?

Face the facts here jokestorkey, you cannot support anything you've stated with links.

Just admit it and move on.

You are not a Constitutional scholar, so your opinion about it means nothing here.

Links?

Still waiting on those link I asked you about.

Are you a Constitutional scholar?

Do you need to be one before you can have an opinion on what you consider Constitutional?

Face the facts here jokestorkey, you cannot support anything you've stated with links.

Just admit it and move on.

He never does

I really don't care that they choose to put religious messages on their signs, and I wouldn't care if Muslims did it either... The fact that some of you do care is what I find disturbing. Why can't you Libs let people live their own lives, instead of negatively involving yourselves in everything that others do who you disagree with?

The true cons have no problem with keeping things religious neutral and religion out of our public affairs.

I had no trouble with Santa Fe ISD allowing the kids to pray over the PA until the little evangelical slobs wouldn't let the Mormon and Catholic and Muslim

Now the entire state's public ed system has a moment of silence instead of prayer.

Right wing moron christians.

I really don't care that they choose to put religious messages on their signs, and I wouldn't care if Muslims did it either... The fact that some of you do care is what I find disturbing. Why can't you Libs let people live their own lives, instead of negatively involving yourselves in everything that others do who you disagree with?

I dunno. A bit much?

cheer.jpg

so, come on, h, you're a conservative... is that ok in a public school?

does it make being christian a requirement of being a cheerleader?

i'm pretty sure it, minimally, creates an environment where the state is fostering religion.

what say you?

I will answer.... they are doing this on their own.
The school is NOT doing it. Those are messages that the CHEERLEADERS are making.

If the school required it, I would be on your side, but they aren't and the cheerleaders are perfectly withing their 1ST Amendment right to do so.

Please tell me how this is a bad thing.... :confused:

Prayer_at_football_game_zps0dc56e60.png

628x471_zps9eeada5f.jpg

All I have to say is this:

BONG HITS FOR JESUS!​

Look it up.

Forum List

Back