Federal judge rules Florida can't ban noncitizens from registering voters

C_Clayton_Jones

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2011
In a Republic, actually
'A federal judge handed Latino and civil rights groups a victory when he struck down a provision in a Florida state law that would have barred noncitizens from registering voters in time for the 2024 election.

Chief U.S. District Judge Mark E. Walker determined Friday that a provision in Florida's SB 7050 assessing a $50,000 fine for each noncitizen found to be "collecting or handling voter registration applications" violates constitutional equal protection rights. The ban covered people with legal permanent residency or green cards.

An estimated 1.3 million lawful permanent residents live in Florida, according to the Department of Homeland Security. Many of them often engage in civic activities such as help with voter registration or supporting campaigns as part of their journeys to become U.S. citizens or to learn about U.S. government.

An emergency injunction issued last year had blocked Florida from enforcing the state law, allowing organizations to retain field staff members who were noncitizens. The injunction was an important win at the time considering that Latinos and communities of color in general are more likely to register to vote through nonpartisan groups than their white counterparts.'

Very good.

Another victory for democracy.

This law is clearly motivated by fear, ignorance, racism, bigotry, and hate, seeking to discriminate against lawful permanent residents.

'A federal judge handed Latino and civil rights groups a victory when he struck down a provision in a Florida state law that would have barred noncitizens from registering voters in time for the 2024 election.

Chief U.S. District Judge Mark E. Walker determined Friday that a provision in Florida's SB 7050 assessing a $50,000 fine for each noncitizen found to be "collecting or handling voter registration applications" violates constitutional equal protection rights. The ban covered people with legal permanent residency or green cards.

An estimated 1.3 million lawful permanent residents live in Florida, according to the Department of Homeland Security. Many of them often engage in civic activities such as help with voter registration or supporting campaigns as part of their journeys to become U.S. citizens or to learn about U.S. government.

An emergency injunction issued last year had blocked Florida from enforcing the state law, allowing organizations to retain field staff members who were noncitizens. The injunction was an important win at the time considering that Latinos and communities of color in general are more likely to register to vote through nonpartisan groups than their white counterparts.'

Very good.

This law is clearly motivated by fear, ignorance, racism, bigotry, and hate, seeking to discriminate against lawful permanent residents.
So how many are you hauling around so they can do their patriotic duty..... none I bet.

I can't say I have a problem with this.

The masses that are coming across the border illegally don't have a green card.

Non-citizens have no business being involved in our elections. In most states, poll workers must be qualified or registered electors. Generally, this means they are a U.S. citizen.

Connecticut's voting laws stipulate that anyone who is appointed as a challenger, unofficial checker, translator, ballot clerk, or voting machine tender must be a US citizen.

Georgia's election laws have a "Good Reputation Requirement" where poll workers must be "judicious, intelligent, and upright citizens."

Idaho's voting laws requires poll workers a "citizen of the United States."

Illinois requires student election assistants to be US citizens.

https://www.eac.gov/sites/default/files/electionofficials/pollworkers/Compendium_2020.pdf

Wisconsin requires that to be an election inspector, one must be an adult citizen of the United States.

There needs to be general requirements that all states follow for federal elections. This would be a good issue for the Supreme Court to take up before the next election.

Very good.

I hope Florida appeals to 11th circuit. I don't care if he did get 94-0 vote of confidence in the US Senate.

The only country in the world that allows this.
No wonder American patriotism is in steep decline. The Russians must envy how successful China has been in such short order.

From 2022. Your intelligence agencies are going to have a difficult time preventing double agents and convincing foreign agents to flip. The lowest before 38% in 2022 was 55%, that is a massive decline:

American patriotism hits a new low​

On the eve of July Fourth – our annual celebration of American independence (and fireworks!) – pride in being an American has hit a record low in new Gallup polling.

Fewer than 4 in 10 – 38% – of adults said they were “extremely” proud to be Americans, the lowest ever measure by Gallup, which has been asking the question since 2001.

The 38% of proud Americans is well below the average of 55% since the question has been asked. In fact, prior to 2015, Gallup had never found those expressing “extreme” pride lower than 55%.

Non-citizens have no business being involved in our elections. In most states, poll workers must be qualified or registered electors. Generally, this means they are a U.S. citizen.

Connecticut's voting laws stipulate that anyone who is appointed as a challenger, unofficial checker, translator, ballot clerk, or voting machine tender must be a US citizen.

Georgia's election laws have a "Good Reputation Requirement" where poll workers must be "judicious, intelligent, and upright citizens."

Idaho's voting laws requires poll workers a "citizen of the United States."

Illinois requires student election assistants to be US citizens.

https://www.eac.gov/sites/default/files/electionofficials/pollworkers/Compendium_2020.pdf

Wisconsin requires that to be an election inspector, one must be an adult citizen of the United States.

There needs to be general requirements that all states follow for federal elections. This would be a good issue for the Supreme Court to take up before the next election.
I thought you crazy MAGAs were all for state control.

The only country in the world that allows this.
No wonder American patriotism is in steep decline. The Russians must envy how successful China has been in such short order.

From 2022. Your intelligence agencies are going to have a difficult time preventing double agents and convincing foreign agents to flip. The lowest before 38% in 2022 was 55%, that is a massive decline:

American patriotism hits a new low​

On the eve of July Fourth – our annual celebration of American independence (and fireworks!) – pride in being an American has hit a record low in new Gallup polling.

Fewer than 4 in 10 – 38% – of adults said they were “extremely” proud to be Americans, the lowest ever measure by Gallup, which has been asking the question since 2001.

The 38% of proud Americans is well below the average of 55% since the question has been asked. In fact, prior to 2015, Gallup had never found those expressing “extreme” pride lower than 55%.

Between you and me, it's all those fireworks we used to set off on Independence Day.

After 20 years of war in the Middle East, loud noises give me PTSD and flashbacks to when I was humping an M60 machine gun in the swamps of Fort Benning, Georgia. I can still hear the skeeters buzzing around my head and the sudden sting when they bit me on the back of my neck.

Of course, this reprehensible, wrongheaded law is about disenfranchising voters of color, to discourage minority voters, perceived by Republicans to be Democratic voters, from registering to vote.
And how do we change the law in the United States Mrs. Jones? Is it by whining about it then ignoring it altogether? Taking it to a wacko judge to make up his/her own law?

Forum List

Back