Judge rules for Kountze cheerleaders in Bible banner suit

AUSTIN — A judge says an East Texas school district policy barring cheerleaders from quoting biblical scripture on banners at high school football games appears to violate their free speech rights.

KFDM television in Beaumont reports that District Judge Steve Thomas issued an injunction allowing the Kountze High School cheerleaders to continue displaying such banners pending the outcome of a lawsuit about the matter. He previously granted a temporary restraining order allowing the practice to continue.

The school district ordered the cheerleaders to stop quoting Bible verses after receiving a complaint from the Freedom From Religion Foundation. The group says it received a complaint from an atheist attending a game who felt the school was promoting Christianity.

Thoughts?

Tell the atheist to grow up?

They are not atheists... they are trouble makers.

As opposed to a judge that still has his balls?

why does it take balls to violate the constitution?

How are the cheerleaders violating The Constitution?

Do they not have 1st Amendment rights as well?

The practice is likely un-Constitutional, as it fails the test requiring some secular, non-religious motive.

And there is no free expression issue here, as the cheerleaders have ample alternate avenues to speak concerning their religion.

The practice is likely un-Constitutional, as it fails the test requiring some secular, non-religious motive.

And there is no free expression issue here, as the cheerleaders have ample alternate avenues to speak concerning their religion.

:lame2:

And there IS a " free expression" issue here.... they are being denied their freedom of expression.

:lame2:

And there IS a " free expression" issue here.... they are being denied their freedom of expression.

no. there are limits on free speech in this context.

again... if they were carrying signs that said allah akhbar, you'd be pitching a fit.

AUSTIN — A judge says an East Texas school district policy barring cheerleaders from quoting biblical scripture on banners at high school football games appears to violate their free speech rights.

KFDM television in Beaumont reports that District Judge Steve Thomas issued an injunction allowing the Kountze High School cheerleaders to continue displaying such banners pending the outcome of a lawsuit about the matter. He previously granted a temporary restraining order allowing the practice to continue.

The school district ordered the cheerleaders to stop quoting Bible verses after receiving a complaint from the Freedom From Religion Foundation. The group says it received a complaint from an atheist attending a game who felt the school was promoting Christianity.

Thoughts?

Tell the atheist to grow up?

They are not atheists... they are trouble makers.

interesting. the reality is that religious fundamentalist are the trouble makers.

if you can't avoid praying for the time you're in school, you should go to a parochial school and not to a public school which has rules about those things.

i'm pretty sure that if it were a school in michigan and the cheerleaders were muslim you'd be whining about creeping sha'ria

Ummm...Public Schools in Dearborn don't have football practice during the day on Ramadan. There are also muslim foot baths on the Uof M Dearborn Compass. You want to know something about Dearborn? just ask I grew up right on the Detroit, Dearborn border

if they were carrying signs that said allah akhbar, you'd be pitching a fit.

How stupid are you?

Are the girls doing that Jillian? No... why ya got to go and get all idiotic about it?

BTW... God is great :D

the point is that we don't discriminate based on religion. and what's good for one is good for every other...and for people who believe in NO religion. state funded institutions have to be welcoming to everyone. and just because the religion in question is your chosen flavor, doesn't make it ok.

i think it should be my flavor, how 'bout that? particularly given that i find most other religions pretty far-fetched and don't understand worshipping a jewish rabbi.

(see how that works?)

we have no chosen religion in this country.

they are not allowed to foster any particular religion.

if you don't like the constitution, feel free to live in the theocracy of your choice.

and you really need to stop telling people they're stupid ....

i

if you can't avoid praying for the time you're in school, you should go to a parochial school and not to a public school which has rules about those things.

i'm pretty sure that if it were a school in michigan and the cheerleaders were muslim you'd be whining about creeping sha'ria

Ummm...Public Schools in Dearborn don't have football practice during the day on Ramadan. There are also muslim foot baths on the Uof M Dearborn Compass. You want to know something about Dearborn? just ask I grew up right on the Detroit, Dearborn border

Like I said... religious tollerance ONLY applies to those other than Christian.

aside from the fact that your analogy fails, i'd kind of like to see a link on that from a credible source;.

they don't have events on holidays in order to be INCLUSIVE... not exclusive....

you'd be offended if activities were held on yom kippur.

let me know when they're carrying around signs on the field with muslim prayers on them.

Like I said... religious tollerance ONLY applies to those other than Christian.

yes, i know.... the poor downtrodden white christian majority.

:rolleyes:

How stupid are you?

Are the girls doing that Jillian? No... why ya got to go and get all idiotic about it?

the point is that we don't discriminate based on religion. and what's good for one is good for every other...and for people who believe in NO religion. state funded institutions have to be welcoming to everyone. and just because the religion in question is your chosen flavor, doesn't make it ok.

i think it should be my flavor, how 'bout that? particularly given that i find most other religions pretty far-fetched and don't understand worshipping a jewish rabbi.

(see how that works?)

if you don't like the constitution, feel free to live in the theocracy of your choice.

i

Well, it's not like he lied about you and then refused to apologize......

Does that mean our freedom of speech and religion have been limited to specific avenues in America? We speak now only where "We the Gov." allows?

How stupid are you?

(see how that works?)

i

Well, it's not like he lied about you and then refused to apologize......

and yet no one lied about you.

but back to the point of the thread...

courts exist to protect the rest of us from people like you.

and THAT is as it should be... and this decision will be reversed.

have a good night.

How stupid are you?

(see how that works?)

i

Is the SCHOOL requiring this....? No....

The cheerleaders are doing it all on their OWN accord.

GIVE ME A BREAK LADY!!! :mad:

If a bunch of Jewish cheerleaders were doing it, with "Jewish" signs... SO FREEKING WHAT!!!

You intollerant liberals make me sick!

Forum List

Back