Jindal: End "Dumbed Down Conservatism"

Thread about a republican calling for party change, filled with Liberals agreeing and Republicans telling him to STFU.

I don't see the GOP changing anytime soon. How can they if any change upsets the base?

I totally agree the GOP needs to change.. they need to jettison the Rove's, etc. What Jindal is calling for is for the GOP to start pandering to minorities, being even more like the Dems, etc.

We already have one Democratic party, we don't need a second.

Thread about a republican calling for party change, filled with Liberals agreeing and Republicans telling him to STFU.

I don't see the GOP changing anytime soon. How can they if any change upsets the base?

But I'm not a liberal. (Like most I have some opinions that are on the progressive side and some that are on the conservative side.) I've voted in 8 presidential elections. Three times for Republicans, three times for libertarians, and twice for Democrats.

I was a staunch Republican who attended more Lincoln Day dinners than I can count. But when they swung so far to the extreme (especially on social issues) they lost me and a lot of other moderates.

I applaud Jindal's comments because, although I'll never join any party again, I'd like to see the GOP as a viable option again.

If they don't want me or other moderates - fine. It's certainly their choice. I just think it makes actually getting people elected a lot harder though.

I totally agree the GOP needs to change.. they need to jettison the Rove's, etc. What Jindal is calling for is for the GOP to start pandering to minorities, being even more like the Dems, etc.

Dont kid yourselves people. This is the part the tea party hates.

Yeah, who wouldn't.. it's pretty vile stuff:

pan·der (pndr)
intr.v. pan·dered, pan·der·ing, pan·ders
1. To act as a go-between or liaison in sexual intrigues; function as a procurer.
2. To cater to the lower tastes and desires of others or exploit their weaknesses: "He refused to pander to nostalgia and escapism"

Hmm, I didn't read it that way.

I've seen a lot of republicans post that change = pandering. I don't see it that way, and I 100% don't think the GOP needs to pander to get minority votes. I do think they need to be more welcoming, harsher on the more extreme parts of their party, and package the message better.

IMO, the republican message is a good one and one that can resonate with minorites if other issues didn't keep getting in the way.

Hmm, I didn't read it that way.

I've seen a lot of republicans post that change = pandering. I don't see it that way, and I 100% don't think the GOP needs to pander to get minority votes. I do think they need to be more welcoming, harsher on the more extreme parts of their party, and package the message better.

IMO, the republican message is a good one and one that can resonate with minorites if other issues didn't keep getting in the way.

See, here's the problem. We are welcoming... why wouldn't we be? The left has been fairly successful in portraying the GOP as an all white party of Aryans. It a lie.. we are white, we are native Americans, we are Latino, etc.

In turn, what has the left done for minorities? Basically promised them free stuff, we're gonna tax whitey, give millions amnesty, and tell blacks that the GOP will put you back in chains.

Its all a lie but apparently it sells well... I don't claim to understand why these lies sell so well...

I think some of the loudest voices in your party, aren't welcoming. When the talk turns to immigration or welfare, many times the tone of the conversation is mildly insulting to minorities.

Also, it's going to be harder for the GOP, because public perception is that you are the party of the rich white guy, and the fact that your party IS over 90% white is a barrier.

This best thing the Obama campaign did, was use a grassroots technic in swing states, getting an army of local people out knocking on doors and talking to neighbors. This is, IMO, what the GOP needs to spend time doing, organizing local republicans, and bringing the message to people's doors.

Yeah, who wouldn't.. it's pretty vile stuff:

pan·der (pndr)
intr.v. pan·dered, pan·der·ing, pan·ders
1. To act as a go-between or liaison in sexual intrigues; function as a procurer.
2. To cater to the lower tastes and desires of others or exploit their weaknesses: "He refused to pander to nostalgia and escapism"

Tea party=racist/thread

I think some of the loudest voices in your party, aren't welcoming. When the talk turns to immigration or welfare, many times the tone of the conversation is mildly insulting to minorities.

Also, it's going to be harder for the GOP, because public perception is that you are the party of the rich white guy, and the fact that your party IS over 90% white is a barrier.

This best thing the Obama campaign did, was use a grassroots technic in swing states, getting an army of local people out knocking on doors and talking to neighbors. This is, IMO, what the GOP needs to spend time doing, organizing local republicans, and bringing the message to people's doors.

I think sayinng the GOP platform is "mildly" insulting is an understatement.
1)"Self Deport" equals "go home we don't want you here" to Latino voters
2)"No abortions - no exceptions" is insulting to many women who consider that government intervention into their reproductive rights.
3) No gay marriage tells gays that they have no place in the GOP version of the American dream.

I think they find it more than "mildly" offensive.

Conservatives will have more opportunities to shine in the next few months as they express their opinion on

- Immigration Reform
- Bush Tax cuts
- Sequestration
- Gay Marriage

Get ready for a double down on dumb

Mildly insulting? Why? This should be insulting: Minorities make up less than 50% of the population, yet they make up over 60% of the welfare roles. But let's get back to what I said earlier... is the only way we get the minority vote is to promise more free stuff and amnesty for people who broke our laws?

That seems pretty insulting to me.

Conservatives will have more opportunities to shine in the next few months as they express their opinion on

- Immigration Reform
- Bush Tax cuts
- Sequestration
- Gay Marriage

Get ready for a double down on dumb

Well, frankly if amnesty, tax hikes, scrapping the military and gay marriage are the four corners of the moonbat agenda.. we're doomed anyway.

Mildly insulting? Why? This should be insulting: Minorities make up less than 50% of the population, yet they make up over 60% of the welfare roles. But let's get back to what I said earlier... is the only way we get the minority vote is to promise more free stuff and amnesty for people who broke our laws?

Your party needs to address issues that matter to people, and show them that you aren't just he white guys party.

The issue is not amnesty and free stuff, and that line of thinking, insults minorities.

If you think it is insulting to you - how insulting is it to the people who you claim only vote in order to get into other's pockets.

The Republicans tried to paint this election as a referendum on the economy.
But voters pick for themselves what an election is about. And this time voters opted to make this election about whether or not the American Dream belongs only to white, straight, Christians or if it belongs to everyone.

which begs the question... what do you do with a party that's been hijacked, mac?

That's one helluva question right there.

Marginalizing people like Norquist and Akin and Bachmann and Palin is one thing, that can be done. But the radio absolutists? I really don't know. They keep their flock at a fever pitch, their flock doesn't see it, and it just feeds on itself when they're in defense mode.

I'd love to know, we need two semi-sane parties.

But voters pick for themselves what an election is about. And this time voters opted to make this election about whether or not the American Dream belongs only to white, straight, Christians or if it belongs to everyone.

I agree the GOP wanted it to be about the economy, I disagree that it was about anything as grandeous as "the american dream".

Americans are unhappy with the economy, and disappointed in Obama. However, the exit polls said they still felt like Obama was for the middle class and understood their problems, and Romney, wasn't.

I agree the GOP wanted it to be about the economy, I disagree that it was about anything as grandeous as "the american dream".

Americans are unhappy with the economy, and disappointed in Obama. However, the exit polls said they still felt like Obama was for the middle class and understood their problems, and Romney, wasn't.

being unhappy because things aren't moving as quickly as they want doesn't mean people wanted to go backwards and further accept all the BS that came with romney from the radical right.

at it's core, though, nodoginnafight has it right. the rabid right has become the spokespeople for no one but old white men who feel threatened by the demographic changes in the country.

If you think it is insulting to you - how insulting is it to the people who you claim only vote in order to get into other's pockets.

If it is true, they should be insulted.... but therein lies the rub, nobody cares anymore. The black family is in ruin due to the Great Society... nobody gives a shit that Dad has been replaced with a taxpayer check. The Hispanics are headed the same direction. And it ain't because they didn't have public assistance.

Look, nobody claims that there should be no public assistance, but nobody with an ounce of sense can sanely make the case that it should be a way of life for generation after generation. The same goes for opening the floodgates to millions upon millions of immigrants and then just granting them amnesty. Open borders = doomed.

Forum List

Back