Jimmy Carter - Losing My Religion

Valerie

Platinum Member
Sep 17, 2008
In the Name of Equality: Jimmy Carter Leaves Southern Baptist Convention

Jimmy Carter released a profound statement last week titled "Losing My Religion for Equality" about how he has chosen to leave his church, the Southern Baptist Convention due to the discriminatory practices toward women. Read through what he says below - it will certainly challenge anyone, of any faith, to reconsider how women are viewed in the eyes of the Church, and the eyes of God:

So my decision to sever my ties with the Southern Baptist Convention, after six decades, was painful and difficult. It was, however, an unavoidable decision when th e convention's leaders, quoting a few carefully selected Bible verses and claiming that Eve was created second to Adam and was responsible for original sin, ordained that women must be "subservient" to their husbands and prohibited from serving as deacons, pastors or chaplains in the military service. This was in conflict with my belief - confirmed in the holy scriptures - that we are all equal in the eyes of God.

This view that women are somehow inferior to men is not restricted to one religion or belief. It is widespread. Women are prevented from playing a full and equal role in many faiths.

Nor, tragically, does its influence stop at the walls of the church, mosque, synagogue or temple. This discrimination, unjustifiably attributed to a Higher Authority, has provided a reason or excuse for the deprivation of women's equal rights across the world for centuries. The male interpretations of religious texts and the way they interact with, and reinforce, traditional practices justify some of the most pervasive, persistent, flagrant and damaging examples of human rights abuses.

Women's Rights - Change.org: In the Name of Equality: Jimmy Carter Leaves Southern Baptist Convention

Those are pretty basic Baptist tenets. I find it amazing that he's stuck with the church for that long.

No doubt he'll become Methodist now. Or Episcopalian. They allow female pastors and openly gay clergy.

Doesnt sound like he lost anything. Doesnt sound like he ever believed in it really.

Jimmy Carter released a profound statement last week titled "Losing My Religion for Equality" about how he has chosen to leave his church, the Southern Baptist Convention due to the discriminatory practices toward women. Read through what he says below - it will certainly challenge anyone, of any faith, to reconsider how women are viewed in the eyes of the Church, and the eyes of God:

So my decision to sever my ties with the Southern Baptist Convention, after six decades, was painful and difficult. It was, however, an unavoidable decision when th e convention's leaders, quoting a few carefully selected Bible verses and claiming that Eve was created second to Adam and was responsible for original sin, ordained that women must be "subservient" to their husbands and prohibited from serving as deacons, pastors or chaplains in the military service. This was in conflict with my belief - confirmed in the holy scriptures - that we are all equal in the eyes of God.

This view that women are somehow inferior to men is not restricted to one religion or belief. It is widespread. Women are prevented from playing a full and equal role in many faiths.

Nor, tragically, does its influence stop at the walls of the church, mosque, synagogue or temple. This discrimination, unjustifiably attributed to a Higher Authority, has provided a reason or excuse for the deprivation of women's equal rights across the world for centuries. The male interpretations of religious texts and the way they interact with, and reinforce, traditional practices justify some of the most pervasive, persistent, flagrant and damaging examples of human rights abuses.

Women's Rights - Change.org: In the Name of Equality: Jimmy Carter Leaves Southern Baptist Convention

These are basic stories when it comes to any of the Judeo-Christian religions. Hebrew lore goes further with the mythos of the origin of Lilith, the screech owl. Women are also supposed to cover their heads in prayer so as to not tempt the angels with their beauty and men are supposed to remain without a cap so as to glorify God's creation.

If Carter didn't realize this years ago he is a little slow on the uptake. If he is making a stand to help further demonize the religious conservatives he is a jerk. Either way he loses a little respect from me. The man has done great things to help people, probably more with his own two hands than any recent president, but this wasn't a decision that really needed to be made public. Religious choice and belief is personal and should stay that way.

He's an idiot and his actions are far from deserving any attention from the press. Hard to resist a good Christian bashing headline tho. "lusted in my heart" what a buffoon :lol:

These are basic stories when it comes to any of the Judeo-Christian religions. Hebrew lore goes further with the mythos of the origin of Lilith, the screech owl. Women are also supposed to cover their heads in prayer so as to not tempt the angels with their beauty and men are supposed to remain without a cap so as to glorify God's creation.

If Carter didn't realize this years ago he is a little slow on the uptake. If he is making a stand to help further demonize the religious conservatives he is a jerk. Either way he loses a little respect from me. The man has done great things to help people, probably more with his own two hands than any recent president, but this wasn't a decision that really needed to be made public. Religious choice and belief is personal and should stay that way.

Seems to me he's acting on his conscience and speaking from his heart. :rolleyes:

“Religion and tradition are a great force for peace and progress around the world,” The Elders expressed in statement released this month to mark the launch of the organization’s latest initiative.

“However, as Elders, we believe that the justification of discrimination against women and girls on grounds of religion or tradition, as if it were prescribed by a higher authority, is unacceptable,” added the 12-person organization brought together by former South African president Nelson Mandela.

In an effort to bring change to and end religious and traditional practices that discriminate against women and girls, The Elders are using their latest initiative to reveal how the “deep-rooted belief that women are worth less than men has infected every aspect of our societies.”

They say such beliefs has led to brutal violence and mistreatment against women and has denied girls and women fair access to education, health, employment, property and influence within their own communities.

“It is not just women who are paying an enormous price for this cultural and religious prejudice. We all suffer when women and girls are abused and their needs are neglected. By denying them security and opportunity, we embed unfairness in our societies and fail to make the most of the talents of half the population,” The Elders state.

Last week, former President Carter attempted to draw greater attention to The Elders’ gender equality initiative by submitting an op-ed to newspapers including the U.K.-based Guardian and Australia-based The Age.

In his piece, Carter recalled his “painful and difficult” decision to sever ties with the Southern Baptist Convention in 2000 after having been a part of the denomination for six decades.

The decision, he said, was “unavoidable ... when the convention’s leaders, quoting a few carefully selected Bible verses and claiming that Eve was created second to Adam and was responsible for original sin, ordained that women must be ‘subservient’ to their husbands and prohibited from serving as deacons, pastors or chaplains in the military service.”

“It is simply self-defeating for any community to discriminate against half its population,” Carter charged. “We need to challenge these self-serving and outdated attitudes and practices - as we are seeing in Iran where women are at the forefront of the battle for democracy and freedom.”

Jimmy Carter and Co. Confront 'Religious Prejudice' Against Women | Christianpost.com

As a woman and a Christian, I applaud him. :clap2:

Seems to me he's acting on his conscience and speaking from his heart. :rolleyes:

“Religion and tradition are a great force for peace and progress around the world,” The Elders expressed in statement released this month to mark the launch of the organization’s latest initiative.

“However, as Elders, we believe that the justification of discrimination against women and girls on grounds of religion or tradition, as if it were prescribed by a higher authority, is unacceptable,” added the 12-person organization brought together by former South African president Nelson Mandela.

In an effort to bring change to and end religious and traditional practices that discriminate against women and girls, The Elders are using their latest initiative to reveal how the “deep-rooted belief that women are worth less than men has infected every aspect of our societies.”

They say such beliefs has led to brutal violence and mistreatment against women and has denied girls and women fair access to education, health, employment, property and influence within their own communities.

“It is not just women who are paying an enormous price for this cultural and religious prejudice. We all suffer when women and girls are abused and their needs are neglected. By denying them security and opportunity, we embed unfairness in our societies and fail to make the most of the talents of half the population,” The Elders state.

Last week, former President Carter attempted to draw greater attention to The Elders’ gender equality initiative by submitting an op-ed to newspapers including the U.K.-based Guardian and Australia-based The Age.

In his piece, Carter recalled his “painful and difficult” decision to sever ties with the Southern Baptist Convention in 2000 after having been a part of the denomination for six decades.

The decision, he said, was “unavoidable ... when the convention’s leaders, quoting a few carefully selected Bible verses and claiming that Eve was created second to Adam and was responsible for original sin, ordained that women must be ‘subservient’ to their husbands and prohibited from serving as deacons, pastors or chaplains in the military service.”

“It is simply self-defeating for any community to discriminate against half its population,” Carter charged. “We need to challenge these self-serving and outdated attitudes and practices - as we are seeing in Iran where women are at the forefront of the battle for democracy and freedom.”

Jimmy Carter and Co. Confront 'Religious Prejudice' Against Women | Christianpost.com

through off those shackles, Val !!

through off those shackles, Val !!

:tongue:

Jimmy Carter | The Elders

unless you're into that stuff of course ! :lol:

:lol: I just think it's great he made this statement! Don't you?

The Elders are an independent group of eminent global leaders, brought together by Nelson Mandela, who offer their collective influence and experience to support peace building, help address major causes of human suffering and promote the shared interests of humanity

The Elders

Kofi Annan
Ela Bhatt
Lakhdar Brahimi
Gro Brundtland
Fernando H Cardoso
Jimmy Carter
Graça Machel
Mary Robinson
Desmond Tutu
Muhammad Yunus

Honorary Elders

Nelson Mandela
Aung San Suu Kyi

No offense but the story of creation, of Adam coming first, being lonely, and God creating Eve from Adam's rib to keep him happy is one the second or third page of the Bible. Either he didn't read what he said he believed in (which after watching the House this year wouldn't surprise me), or he didn't care until now when the poltical scene was frantic. He may have said words that feel heartfelt but he is a poltician, and I wouldn't put it past any politican to shit rose petals if needed.

For having followed this set of "opressive beliefs" for 6 decades I would think he would have read the story of Adam and Eve by now.

No offense but the story of creation, of Adam coming first, being lonely, and God creating Eve from Adam's rib to keep him happy is one the second or third page of the Bible. Either he didn't read what he said he believed in (which after watching the House this year wouldn't surprise me), or he didn't care until now when the poltical scene was frantic. He may have said words that feel heartfelt but he is a politician, and I wouldn't put it past any politician to shit rose petals if needed.

For having followed this set of "oppressive beliefs" for 6 decades I would think he would have read the story of Adam and Eve by now.

How are your broken wings ever going to mend with an attitude like that? :lol:

No offense but the story of creation, of Adam coming first, being lonely, and God creating Eve from Adam's rib to keep him happy is one the second or third page of the Bible. Either he didn't read what he said he believed in (which after watching the House this year wouldn't surprise me), or he didn't care until now when the poltical scene was frantic. He may have said words that feel heartfelt but he is a poltician, and I wouldn't put it past any politican to shit rose petals if needed.

For having followed this set of "opressive beliefs" for 6 decades I would think he would have read the story of Adam and Eve by now.

well, in the very first chapter in genesis, God created both male and female , in the image of God.

it wasn't until a following chapter in genesis, does it speak of adam being lonely and needing a mate, then the made of his rib story....?

men have used the adam and eve story for millenniums to say women are not equal to them, while IGNORING Genesis 1, where women and men were created EQUAL by God...?

I agree with jimbo's views! :)

Seriously? You must be kidding.

As a woman and a Christian, I would think you'd be asking what the hell took him so damn long...

Strikes me as a case of too little too late. He has spent six decades following this particular belief system and now, towards the end of his life, he decides it has all been wrong? Sounds like he started having doubts about whether or not these beliefs would get him past St. Peter.

Seriously? You must be kidding.

As a woman and a Christian, I would think you'd be asking what the hell took him so damn long...

Strikes me as a case of too little too late. He has spent six decades following this particular belief system and now, towards the end of his life, he decides it has all been wrong? Sounds like he started having doubts about whether or not these beliefs would get him past St. Peter.

No, I'm not kidding...Better late than never! :thup:

I don't think staying with the Church necessarily meant he agreed with everything and this public statement by him and "The Elders" is not just about Jimmy Carter the man and his personal faith, it's about basic human rights and as you stated, long over due.

I agree that 60 years is a long time to either: not get this apparent conflict, or not notice it (ignore it). 1 way he's idiot, the other way he's a hypocrite. Either way I don't think I'd be holding this up as an example of how great a guy he is.

As far as "acting on his conscience and speaking from his heart"... that doesn't mean media coverage is required. I act on my conscience and speak from my heart everyday and I don't have a satellite news van following me around to let the world know what's on my mind.

I guess it's just a basic difference in how life is approached, the need to trumpet about your feelings to everyone you meet, or not. You see it of course with homosexuals where they often seem to have an insatiable need to let anyone they know that they're gay. But I recently saw this at a party I went to where lots of Lefties were in attendance. When people were introduced to each other they would rattle off a list of their pet causes and organizations they were affiliated with. Is this really information that needs to be shared?

The best part of it tho was that you could see they were trying to "out liberal" each other. It was like a competition to see who the uberlib was. Which, to me, just looks like hypocrisy, because you shouldn't join a cause to impress people at parties, you should do it because you believe in them. I didn't get any gold stars that night because I only work at my church's charity events and don't write big checks to organizations where maybe 10% goes to the actual cause.

i don't think so hj....

it shows you can teach an old dog, new tricks...

it shows we can change for the better if we soul search...

it shows progress, although it be slow.

you might as well leave America now, if you hold us to our past beliefs...ie in slavery and in women for 150 years of this nation, NOT BEING EQUAL and not even having the right to vote...or have birth control pills, or equal rights in the workforce...

all of this has come very slowly to us women...equally in the public and private sector....

but progress is still being made and what jimbo is doing, is a part of it, so i would not condemn it!

certainly i could wish it was sooner...

but better late, than never...

to steal from martha, to me...

it's a good thing!

jd/care

Last edited:
well, in the very first chapter in genesis, God created both male and female , in the image of God.

it wasn't until a following chapter in genesis, does it speak of adam being lonely and needing a mate, then the made of his rib story....?

men have used the adam and eve story for millenniums to say women are not equal to them, while IGNORING Genesis 1, where women and men were created EQUAL by God...?

What is funny is that discrepancy has led to so much speculation. That is where the Lilith myth gained its true foothold. Lilith having been Adam's first wife but when she refused to submit to him, she insisted in being on top when they were intimate, it upset Adam so God cast her out of Eden and created Eve from Adam so she would be submissive. Eve was of Adam's flesh so that it was the man alone who was in God's image and the female was made from man to keep him company.

The reason I have my perspective on this is that I am new to the Christian faith. I was raised Luthern yes but lost my faith when I was in my early teens. Now that I am in my mid twenties and began studying the Bible, finding truth in God and love in the Christian faith I think it is rediculous that the opression and demonization of women in the Bible was one of the first things I noticed and it has taken this man six decades to come to that conclusion.

As I said in my first post on this thread there are only two real conclusions one can draw from this publicly made decision. Either Carter is slow on the uptake since it took him this long or he is only doing it to help Obama try to rally Dems against the asshole conservatives since Obama is losing support for the Healthcare Bill that Carter has wanted since he was president. My point is simply this, if it were an honest decision I don't understand why it was made public. You make a million decisions a day on what to watch, what to listen to and what to do based on your bias and beliefs.. why is this news worthy aside from to drudge up more division between the two sides.

Someone making a choice for those reasons is good, don't get me wrong.. it just feels false because of the scene made around it. -shrugs-

Forum List

Back