Jimmy Carter - Losing My Religion

As a woman and a Christian, I applaud him. :clap2:

Seriously? You must be kidding.

As a woman and a Christian, I would think you'd be asking what the hell took him so damn long...

Strikes me as a case of too little too late. He has spent six decades following this particular belief system and now, towards the end of his life, he decides it has all been wrong? Sounds like he started having doubts about whether or not these beliefs would get him past St. Peter.

No, I'm not kidding...Better late than never! :thup:

I don't think staying with the Church necessarily meant he agreed with everything and this public statement by him and "The Elders" is not just about Jimmy Carter the man and his personal faith, it's about basic human rights and as you stated, long over due.

i don't think so hj....

it shows you can teach an old dog, new tricks...

it shows we can change for the better if we soul search...

it shows progress, although it be slow.

you might as well leave America now, if you hold us to our past beliefs...ie in slavery and in women for 150 years of this nation, NOT BEING EQUAL and not even having the right to vote...or have birth control pills, or equal rights in the workforce...

all of this has come very slowly to us women...equally in the public and private sector....

but progress is still being made and what jimbo is doing, is a part of it, so i would not condemn it!

certainly i could wish it was sooner...

but better late, than never...

to steal from martha, to me...

it's a good thing!

jd/care

I guess my cynicism is strong. More power to you both for your willingness to forgive, you have my respect.

well, in the very first chapter in genesis, God created both male and female , in the image of God.

it wasn't until a following chapter in genesis, does it speak of adam being lonely and needing a mate, then the made of his rib story....?

men have used the adam and eve story for millenniums to say women are not equal to them, while IGNORING Genesis 1, where women and men were created EQUAL by God...?

What is funny is that discrepancy has led to so much speculation. That is where the Lilith myth gained its true foothold. Lilith having been Adam's first wife but when she refused to submit to him, she insisted in being on top when they were intimate, it upset Adam so God cast her out of Eden and created Eve from Adam so she would be submissive. Eve was of Adam's flesh so that it was the man alone who was in God's image and the female was made from man to keep him company.

The reason I have my perspective on this is that I am new to the Christian faith. I was raised Luthern yes but lost my faith when I was in my early teens. Now that I am in my mid twenties and began studying the Bible, finding truth in God and love in the Christian faith I think it is rediculous that the opression and demonization of women in the Bible was one of the first things I noticed and it has taken this man six decades to come to that conclusion.

As I said in my first post on this thread there are only two real conclusions one can draw from this publicly made decision. Either Carter is slow on the uptake since it took him this long or he is only doing it to help Obama try to rally Dems against the asshole conservatives since Obama is losing support for the Healthcare Bill that Carter has wanted since he was president. My point is simply this, if it were an honest decision I don't understand why it was made public. You make a million decisions a day on what to watch, what to listen to and what to do based on your bias and beliefs.. why is this news worthy aside from to drudge up more division between the two sides.

Someone making a choice for those reasons is good, don't get me wrong.. it just feels false because of the scene made around it. -shrugs-

carter and obama do NOT see eye to eye...

carter thinks afghanistan is a huge obama mistake!

progress is slow...sadly!

i don't see any other politician taking jimbo's stance with their religious institutions....they don't have the guts...

jimbo did the right thing imo, and i'm not going to knock it...no matter how late it seems to be coming, no matter if there is political under causes....

him being a political figure makes it even better imo, because it opens the door to an open forum discussion in the public....it gives awareness, ya know?

care

Last edited:
well, in the very first chapter in genesis, God created both male and female , in the image of God.

it wasn't until a following chapter in genesis, does it speak of adam being lonely and needing a mate, then the made of his rib story....?

men have used the adam and eve story for millenniums to say women are not equal to them, while IGNORING Genesis 1, where women and men were created EQUAL by God...?

What is funny is that discrepancy has led to so much speculation. That is where the Lilith myth gained its true foothold. Lilith having been Adam's first wife but when she refused to submit to him, she insisted in being on top when they were intimate, it upset Adam so God cast her out of Eden and created Eve from Adam so she would be submissive. Eve was of Adam's flesh so that it was the man alone who was in God's image and the female was made from man to keep him company.

The reason I have my perspective on this is that I am new to the Christian faith. I was raised Luthern yes but lost my faith when I was in my early teens. Now that I am in my mid twenties and began studying the Bible, finding truth in God and love in the Christian faith I think it is rediculous that the opression and demonization of women in the Bible was one of the first things I noticed and it has taken this man six decades to come to that conclusion.

As I said in my first post on this thread there are only two real conclusions one can draw from this publicly made decision. Either Carter is slow on the uptake since it took him this long or he is only doing it to help Obama try to rally Dems against the asshole conservatives since Obama is losing support for the Healthcare Bill that Carter has wanted since he was president. My point is simply this, if it were an honest decision I don't understand why it was made public. You make a million decisions a day on what to watch, what to listen to and what to do based on your bias and beliefs.. why is this news worthy aside from to drudge up more division between the two sides.

Someone making a choice for those reasons is good, don't get me wrong.. it just feels false because of the scene made around it. -shrugs-

i don't see any other politician taking jimbo's stance with their religious institutions....they don't have the guts...

jimbo did the right thing imo, and i'm not going to knock it...no matter how late it seems to be coming, no matter if there is political under causes....

him being a political figure makes it even better imo, because it opens the door to an open forum discussion in the public....it gives awareness, ya know?

care

I didn't say anything about Afganistan... made in bold the point on which they do agree and the fact that right now it is looking like Dems are going to help stop that bill from going through quickly. Obama is still trying to push through the bill before the break and Dems and Repubs alike are throwing on the breaks saying "Umm... yeah.. this is gonna cost a lot." The nation is so politically split they don't see reason, they just see their beliefs. You throw up a smoke screen people suddenly remember which side they are on and they start pushing their side's agenda whether they care about it or not because they don't want to seem like they care about the other side.

I said either he is slow on the uptake because it has taken 60 years to read the first chapter or two of the Bible or he is a politically based ass. Not saying this reason is bad because the reason stated is good, but c'mon.. 60 years.. and during a time period where his party needed a political issue to seperate them from the Repubs to push an agenda through, one he does believe in. Just smells wrong to me...

Isn't Carter also considered the Dem's version of Regan? Honestly curious because according to my Civics teacher's praises it either has to be Carter or JFK.. so his opinion would hold a lot more weight.

Clinton is probably the democratic Reagan....or more like fdr is the dem reagan

carter? ha! :lol: i don't think so....sheesh, can't believe you are being taught that....!!!!????

Seriously? You must be kidding.

As a woman and a Christian, I would think you'd be asking what the hell took him so damn long...

Strikes me as a case of too little too late. He has spent six decades following this particular belief system and now, towards the end of his life, he decides it has all been wrong? Sounds like he started having doubts about whether or not these beliefs would get him past St. Peter.

I don't think staying with the Church necessarily meant he agreed with everything and this public statement by him and "The Elders" is not just about Jimmy Carter the man and his personal faith, it's about basic human rights and as you stated, long over due.

i don't think so hj....

it shows you can teach an old dog, new tricks...

it shows we can change for the better if we soul search...

it shows progress, although it be slow.

you might as well leave America now, if you hold us to our past beliefs...ie in slavery and in women for 150 years of this nation, NOT BEING EQUAL and not even having the right to vote...or have birth control pills, or equal rights in the workforce...

all of this has come very slowly to us women...equally in the public and private sector....

but progress is still being made and what jimbo is doing, is a part of it, so i would not condemn it!

certainly i could wish it was sooner...

but better late, than never...

to steal from martha, to me...

it's a good thing!

jd/care

I guess my cynicism is strong. More power to you both for your willingness to forgive, you have my respect.

It's not that I don't share your cynicism, believe me. :cool:

Again, to Amanda and Broken Angel, this statement is not just about Jimmy Carter and his personal faith, or whether or not you think he's been a hypocrite for the past 60 years?

This public stance is bigger than any single man, but we only hear about it in the news because of who he is and how his influence potentially affects human rights issues across the world.

Carter: The words of God do not justify cruelty to women
The Elders

In the face of such cynicism in the world, I believe we have to take the positive wherever we find it and I agree with Care, It's a good thing! :D

care

I didn't say anything about Afganistan... made in bold the point on which they do agree and the fact that right now it is looking like Dems are going to help stop that bill from going through quickly. Obama is still trying to push through the bill before the break and Dems and Repubs alike are throwing on the breaks saying "Umm... yeah.. this is gonna cost a lot." The nation is so politically split they don't see reason, they just see their beliefs. You throw up a smoke screen people suddenly remember which side they are on and they start pushing their side's agenda whether they care about it or not because they don't want to seem like they care about the other side.

I said either he is slow on the uptake because it has taken 60 years to read the first chapter or two of the Bible or he is a politically based ass. Not saying this reason is bad because the reason stated is good, but c'mon.. 60 years.. and during a time period where his party needed a political issue to seperate them from the Repubs to push an agenda through, one he does believe in. Just smells wrong to me...

Isn't Carter also considered the Dem's version of Regan? Honestly curious because according to my Civics teacher's praises it either has to be Carter or JFK.. so his opinion would hold a lot more weight.

where are the old geezer republicans, denouncing their religious institutions on this...they have had 60 and 70 years as well?

nowhere!

what carter did is right and just, no matter the timing...the silence of other politician men....both old and young, who are not speaking out in the same manner are the ones you should now be criticizing, unless you could give a hoot about the progress of equal human rights for women and equal standing in their religious institutions or in the public sector and really disagree with jimbo's stance, imo?

care

Clinton is probably the democratic Reagan....or more like fdr is the dem reagan

carter? ha! :lol: i don't think so....sheesh, can't believe you are being taught that....!!!!????

And in Civics no less. Grew up outside of San Fran with a female Civics teacher from Berkley who was a member of the Baby Boomer generation. Anything liberal was right and a paper written from a conservative perspective was garunteed a D or F. Made me feel more pressured than my church EVER made me feel to believe in anything. LoL

It's probably the case that the content in the New Testament that endorses some doctrine of an inferior status of women is unoriginal content anyway. When we consider the forged nature of the pastoral epistles (which includes 1 Timothy) and the apparently doctored passage in 1 Corinthians that endorses such, it seems likely.

It's not that I don't share your cynicism, believe me. :cool:

Again, to Amanda and Broken Angel, this statement is not just about Jimmy Carter and his personal faith, or whether or not you think he's been a hypocrite for the past 60 years?

This public stance is bigger than any single man, but we only hear about it in the news because of who he is and how his influence potentially affects human rights issues across the world.

The Elders

In the face of such cynicism in the world, I believe we have to take the positive wherever we find it and I agree with Care, It's a good thing! :D

BURN YOUR DAMN BRAS !!!!!!!!!!!!!:lol:

Sorry, I don't understand what you're trying to say.

The Elders

I guess that as a 26 year old female who grew up just outside of San Fran, despite the hype about women's rights I don't see how women are currently held down in society. These stances don't mean much to me because guess what.. I can do anything that a man can do. A statement supporting "women's rights" feels hollow and feels like they are grasping for anything.

If it is the fact that you want to find something positive somewhere then that just shows that this world has a long way to go. I would suggest picking up a cause like helping out at a local shelter for a couple hours on the weekend. That is going to put a bigger smile on your face than reading about a man who just read the Bible for the first time. ;)

Jimmy Carter changing his religion based off of a want to uphold women's rights is a good reason for him to change yes. Again.. this feels like a HUGE issue to you it seems but it looks pathetically small to me. Due to timing, the fact that he had to make a public spectical of it.. it just feels fake. If this had been a story uncovered because his friends called the newspapers or the priest notified the media I guess that would be one thing.

-Sighs- I doubt I have gotten my point across to you and I don't want to argue with you because we just see the story differently. I was the type of kid who thought everything was a cause. I went door to door in my neighborhood selling pictures to raise money I sent in to help save the whales. I fought tooth and nail if I saw someone not getting treated the same way others around me were. I thought women were still held down until I really read about Susan B Anthony. After her example, I would call most of the women fighting for "equality" feme-nazis right along with every male out there when they aren't around a girl they want to get with. ;)

I need to stop rambling.. been a long day and Braxton Hicks contractions have made me edgy so please don't take anything I said harshly.. just ranting a bit and it wasn't clear what you meant with your statement. :cool:

The Elders

I guess that as a 26 year old female who grew up just outside of San Fran, despite the hype about women's rights I don't see how women are currently held down in society. These stances don't mean much to me because guess what.. I can do anything that a man can do. A statement supporting "women's rights" feels hollow and feels like they are grasping for anything.

If it is the fact that you want to find something positive somewhere then that just shows that this world has a long way to go. I would suggest picking up a cause like helping out at a local shelter for a couple hours on the weekend. That is going to put a bigger smile on your face than reading about a man who just read the Bible for the first time. ;)

Jimmy Carter changing his religion based off of a want to uphold women's rights is a good reason for him to change yes. Again.. this feels like a HUGE issue to you it seems but it looks pathetically small to me. Due to timing, the fact that he had to make a public spectical of it.. it just feels fake. If this had been a story uncovered because his friends called the newspapers or the priest notified the media I guess that would be one thing.

-Sighs- I doubt I have gotten my point across to you and I don't want to argue with you because we just see the story differently. I was the type of kid who thought everything was a cause. I went door to door in my neighborhood selling pictures to raise money I sent in to help save the whales. I fought tooth and nail if I saw someone not getting treated the same way others around me were. I thought women were still held down until I really read about Susan B Anthony. After her example, I would call most of the women fighting for "equality" feme-nazis right along with every male out there when they aren't around a girl they want to get with. ;)

I need to stop rambling.. been a long day and Braxton Hicks contractions have made me edgy so please don't take anything I said harshly.. just ranting a bit and it wasn't clear what you meant with your statement. :cool:

That's good you don't want to argue since there's really nothing here to argue about. :lol: It's a news story I saw and felt compelled to share.

http://www.womensenews.org/index.cfm

Last edited:

Sorry, I don't understand what you're trying to say.
Not to be crass, but that just doesn't surprise me .

You understand it? Explain it. There's no reason I can see for there to be a question mark at the end of the sentence. Maybe you can make sense of it for me.

Or maybe you just wanted to call me dumb. If that's the case get in line, I've been hearing that all my life.

sorry, i don't understand what you're trying to say.
not to be crass, but that just doesn't surprise me .

you understand it? Explain it. There's no reason i can see for there to be a question mark at the end of the sentence. Maybe you can make sense of it for me.

Or maybe you just wanted to call me dumb. If that's the case get in line, i've been hearing that all my life.
withdrawn, sorry.

No offense but the story of creation, of Adam coming first, being lonely, and God creating Eve from Adam's rib to keep him happy is one the second or third page of the Bible. Either he didn't read what he said he believed in (which after watching the House this year wouldn't surprise me), or he didn't care until now when the poltical scene was frantic. He may have said words that feel heartfelt but he is a poltician, and I wouldn't put it past any politican to shit rose petals if needed.

For having followed this set of "opressive beliefs" for 6 decades I would think he would have read the story of Adam and Eve by now.

Of course he had.

He also realizes that the directive to obey your husband goes hand in hand with husbands respecting their wives.

It's a political move against his church, couched in his usual "humanitarian" schtick bullshit.

Forum List

Back