Jason Kidd Retire: Where does he rank All-Time?

GHook93

Aristotle
Apr 22, 2007
Chicago
I say there are 5 that are unarguably better than Kidd:
Magic - No explanation necessary ("NEN")
Big O - Yes he came from a less talented era (which the the same reason I drop Russel out of the top center discussion because he would get rapped by the bigger centers like Shaq, Wilt, Robinson, Hakeem), but the Big O was huge at 6-5 and would have dominated in any era.
Stockton - All-time assist leader, lifetime 170 club member (means high percentage shooter from 3pt line, all over the court and free throw) and all time steal leader.
Isiah Thomas - Great floor leader and transformed the PG position to scoring spot, although he was still a great distributor.
Gary Payton - Best defensive PG of all time, he could all set up his teammates and score when they needed him to.

Then you have the oldies, who many put ahead of him, but I think their success had more to do with a smaller, less athletic and slower league:
Walt Frazier, Bob Cousy, Lenny Wilkens

Then you have who I think Kidd definitely out shined:
Steve Nash and Tiny Archibald.

My Top 10:
Magic
Stockton
Big O
Thomas
Payton
Kidd
Nash
Frazier
Archibald
Wilkens

Big O - Yes he came from a less talented era (which the the same reason I drop Russel out of the top center discussion because he would get rapped by the bigger centers like Shaq, Wilt, Robinson, Hakeem), but the Big O was huge at 6-5 and would have dominated in any era.
Stockton - All-time assist leader, lifetime 170 club member (means high percentage shooter from 3pt line, all over the court and free throw) and all time steal leader.
Isiah Thomas - Great floor leader and transformed the PG position to scoring spot, although he was still a great distributor.
Gary Payton - Best defensive PG of all time, he could all set up his teammates and score when they needed him to.

Then you have the oldies, who many put ahead of him, but I think their success had more to do with a smaller, less athletic and slower league:

My Top 10:
Magic
Stockton
Big O
Thomas
Payton
Kidd
Nash
Frazier
Archibald
Wilkens

Kidd is one of the all-time prolific WIFE-BEATERS, for sure.

I always thought Kidd was overrated. I'd take Nash over Kidd, in a heartbeat. I'll give Kidd the nod over Archibald, and that's it.

He played a long time, based on his hype.

My Top 10:
Magic
Stockton
Big O
Thomas
Payton
Kidd
Nash
Frazier
Archibald
Wilkens

Kidd is one of the all-time prolific WIFE-BEATERS, for sure.

I always thought Kidd was overrated. I'd take Nash over Kidd, in a heartbeat. I'll give Kidd the nod over Archibald, and that's it.

He played a long time, based on his hype.

Nash was a 10 fold better shooter and they were about equal in distributing the ball and as a floor leader. Nash was a prolific poor defender! Defense has to be taken into account. Kidd was ALWAYS a top defender at the position.

It's a tough call, but I think Kidd takes him by a little bit.

The wife-beating comment was predictable, but he deserves attacked on that even today. Beating one's wife is a coward's act!

Jason Kidd was one of my favorite players I remember watching him when I was like 12 and 13, he is one of the best passers the game has ever seen and his work ethic is amazing.

1. Stockton
2. Magic
3. Parker
4. Rondo
5. Kidd
6. Robertson
7. Cousy
8. Archibald
9. KJ
10. Price

Honorable Mention: Payton, Billups, Paul, DJ, Mark Jackson, Bibby, White Chocolate, Rose

1. Stockton
2. Magic
3. Parker
4. Rondo
5. Kidd
6. Robertson
7. Cousy
8. Archibald
9. KJ
10. Price

Honorable Mention: Payton, Billups, Paul, DJ, Mark Jackson, Bibby, White Chocolate, Rose
You're putting Kidd ahead of the Big O?

That shows you don't know shit about basketball!

I know plenty about basketball. Big O would was really small o. He was a ball hog who got beat year after year. And he was really a SG playing PG.

I know plenty about basketball. Big O would was really small o. He was a ball hog who got beat year after year. And he was really a SG playing PG.
He was 6'-5" and the only player to average triple-doubles for an entire season.

YOU ARE TALKING BLASPHEMY!

Big fucking deal. Wilt averaged like 50 and 30 one season back then. There's no way in hell he'd do that in today's league. Same shit applies to Robertson.

Big fucking deal. Wilt averaged like 50 and 30 one season back then. There's no way in hell he'd do that in today's league. Same shit applies to Robertson.
Bullshit! They'd do the same thing today as they did back then.

Not a chance in hell. Shaq and Jordan came nowhere close to those numbers and they are certainly about the same if not more gifted.

Not a chance in hell. Shaq and Jordan came nowhere close to those numbers and they are certainly about the same if not more gifted.
Wilt would throw Shaq around like a rag doll and there is no way Jordan could stop O.

Shaq has 70 pounds on Wilt. I'll say that Wilt was athletically gifted ahead of his time; but D Robinson would match-up fine with him too.

And Jordan would jump over Robertson. I mean, if you want to argue that Robertson's still better than Jordan than that's fine. And there are plenty of old timers that would have been all stars in today's NBA. But clearly, the overall athleticism has improved.

Shaq has 70 pounds on Wilt. I'll say that Wilt was athletically gifted ahead of his time; but D Robinson would match-up fine with him too.

And Jordan would jump over Robertson. I mean, if you want to argue that Robertson's still better than Jordan than that's fine. And there are plenty of old timers that would have been all stars in today's NBA. But clearly, the overall athleticism has improved.
Wilt was the strongest player the NBA has ever seen. There has never been anyone that strong before or since.

And if Oscar is not that hot, how come no one's been able to even come close to what he did (average triple-doubles for an entire season)?

How come you won't answer the question about Black Jesus?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back