Top 5 in NBA Ever

GHook93

Aristotle
Apr 22, 2007
Chicago
I was driving to work today and the local sports commentators were talking about West stating LBJ is better than Kobe. Then they went into best at other positions, including Duncan and KG high up on the PF list and Shaq and Hakeem 1 and 2. I got to think about it and here is my list.

PG:
(1) Magic
(2) Oscar Robertson
(3) Stockton
(4) Isiah Thomas
(5) Gary Payton (tough call between the glove and KJ)
Overrated: Cousy, Archibald, Walt Frazier

SG:
(1) MJ
(2) Kobe
(3) West
(4) Dexler
(5) Gervin
Overrated: Iverson and Maravich

SF:
(1) LBJ
(2) Bird
(3) Wilkins
(4) Pippen
(5) Dr. J
Overrated: Havlick and Rick Berry

PF:
(1) Duncan
(2) Malone
(3) KG (I put him higher because I doubt Barkley could cover him)
(4) Barkley
(5) Kemp (No way non-athletes like Mchale, Pettit or Hayes could cover him - he is very underrated)
Overrated: McHale, Pettit, Hayes and DeBusschere (I think all of these players would be slightly above average today, with maybe McHale making the Allstar team every few years)

C:
(1) Russel
(2) God

(1) Shaq
(2) Wilt
(3) Olajuwan
(4) Kareem (Very good, but I think he might be one of the most overrated players every_
(5) Robinson
Overrated: Russel (They say he was as short as 6'8, and he played against 6'6 Whiteboys, imagine what Shaq would have done), Walton (might be one of the most overrated players ever), Mikan (Eric Montross - I honestly think he wouldn't have been drafted if he came out today and would be a back of the bencher)

Last edited:
I was driving to work today and the local sports commentators were talking about West stating LBJ is better than Kobe. Then they went into best at other positions, including Duncan and KG high up on the PF list and Shaq and Hakeem 1 and 2. I got to think about it and here is my list.

PG:
(1) Magic
(2) Oscar Robertson
(3) Stockton
(4) Isiah Thomas

SG:
(1) MJ
(2) Kobe
(3) West
(4) Dexler
(5) Gervin

SF:
(1) LBJ
(2) Bird
(3) Wilkins
(4) Pippen
(5) Dr. J

PF:
(1) Duncan
(2) Malone
(4) Barkley
(5) Kemp (No way non-athletes like Mchale, Pettit or Hayes could cover him - he is very underrated)
Overrated: McHale, Pettit, Hayes and DeBusschere (I think all of these players would be slightly above average today, with maybe McHale making the Allstar team every few years)

C:
(1) Shaq
(2) Wilt
(3) Olajuwan
(4) Kareem (Very good, but I think he might be one of the most overrated players every_
(5) Robinson
Overrated: Russel (They say he was as short as 6'8, and he played against 6'6 Whiteboys, imagine what Shaq would have done), Walton (might be one of the most overrated players ever), Mikan (Eric Montross - I honestly think he wouldn't have been drafted if he came out today and would be a back of the bencher)

so wilt chamberlain was a 6'6 *whiteboy*?

:rofl:

stick to something you know

You beat me to it.

What an artard! :rofl:

Full Name: William Felton Russell
Born: 2/12/34 in Monroe, La.
High School: McClymonds (Oakland, Calif.)
College: San Francisco
Drafted: St. Louis Hawks, 1956 (third overall)
Transactions: Draft rights traded to Boston Celtics, 4/29/56
Height: 6-10; Weight: 220 lbs.
Honors: Elected to Naismith Basketball Basketball Hall of Fame (1975); NBA champion (1957, '59, '60, '61, '62, '63, '64, '65, '66, '68, '69); NBA MVP (1958, '61, '62, '63, '65);
All-NBA First Team (1959, '63, '65); All-NBA Second Team (1958, '60, '61, '62, '64, '66, '67, '68); NBA All-Defensive Team (1969); 12-time NBA All-Star (1958-69); All-Star Game MVP (1963); One of the 50 Greatest Players in NBA History (1996); Olympic gold medalist (1956)

yeah, highly overrated.

not in any particular order....

chamberlin
russell
kareem
jordan
magic
bird
dr j
wilkins
thomas
kobe

Not that I think Iverson is the best or anything, but how is he "overrated"?

The guy played harder game in and game out than most other professional sports players PERIOD. For his size, he got to the hole better than just about anyone I've ever watched. And for his career, he averages almost 42 minutes per game. As much of a beating as he's taken driving to the hole against the plethora of the NBA's big men, for him to play that much says something.

If not for his well known selfishness and attitude problems throughout his career, he would get way more credibility; Although in his later years I saw first hand as a philly sports fan, how much better he got at passing the ball. He improved his assist totals, and spent a lot more time playing 1-guard. Not to mention, in Philly he hardly ever had anyone even WORTH passing the ball to. There were a few seasons at the end of his time in Philly where his assists were up near 8 per game. Those were the seasons when he actually had decent teammates.

I've always enjoyed watching Iverson play too. The one thing I always thought handicapped him was how little rotation he put on his jumpshots. I've seen Wakefield knuckle balls with more rotation. Anyone that knows the fundamentals will tell you that poor rotation greatly reduces accuracy.

I've always enjoyed watching Iverson play too. The one thing I always thought handicapped him was how little rotation he put on his jumpshots. I've seen Wakefield knuckle balls with more rotation. Anyone that knows the fundamentals will tell you that poor rotation greatly reduces accuracy.

That's all well and good, but his stats tell otherwise. Career avg. of almost 28 ppg, career FG% of around 42%, and 32% career 3pt%.

PPG is better than Kobe, to put it into perspective, and FG and 3pt is only a couple points behind. Kobe is at 45% FG and 34% 3pt.

So if anything, he defied the odds. Personally, I found myself in awe of his jump shots, and just about everything else he did. I'm not as big a sixers fan as I am a Phils, Eagles, and Flyers fan, and in fact I think I was really just an Iverson fan because my interest in the team since he's been gone has almost been non-existent. It's just not the same without him.

Last edited:

That's all well and good, but his stats tell otherwise. Career avg. of almost 28 ppg, career FG% of around 42%, and 32% career 3pt%.

PPG is better than Kobe, to put it into perspective, and FG and 3pt is only a couple points behind. Kobe is at 45% FG and 34% 3pt.

So if anything, he defied the odds. Personally, I found myself in awe of his jump shots, and just about everything else he did. I'm not as big a sixers fan as I am a Phils, Eagles, and Flyers fan, and in fact I think I was really just an Iverson fan because my interest in the team since he's been gone has almost been non-existent. It's just not the same without him.

ai had more assists and steals, too, no?

ai had more assists and steals, too, no?

Assist totals are just about double Kobe's, I don't know about steals. I'll have to look it up, but for a while there, no one was better than AI at stealing the ball.

I never liked Iverson, but he certainly rescued Philly from its post-Barkley hell.

Last edited:
I never like Iverson, but he certainly rescued Philly from its post-Barkley hell.

He'll certainly go down as one of the most popular players in NBA history. This may have changed in the past couple years, but there was a time when he held the record for most merchandise sales. It was Iverson nation for a long time. Lebron will definitely end up surpassing AI's merchandise sales though, I'm sure. Probably Kobe too.

I never like Iverson, but he certainly rescued Philly from its post-Barkley hell.

He'll certainly go down as one of the most popular players in NBA history. This may have changed in the past couple years, but there was a time when he held the record for most merchandise sales. It was Iverson nation for a long time. Lebron will definitely end up surpassing AI's merchandise sales though, I'm sure. Probably Kobe too.

so he was bigger than Barkley when he played in Philly then?

so he was bigger than Barkley when he played in Philly then?

That's tough for me to say, I was a little kid during the Barkley era. If I had to take a guess, I'd say yes.

He's probably not bigger than Dr. J, though. Although the fans embraced his decision to wear J's number 6 during the All Star game. That's quite an honor in and of itself. It's not just ANYONE that gets to put that number on and represent Philadelphia.

Let's just say it was a torrid relationship between Iverson and the fans through his career, but he ultimately earned the love and respect of the fans. As Philly fans, at the end of the day, we just want our players to play as hard as they can. Take a beating during a basketball game, dive for a fly ball, run out your routine grounders, don't alligator arm a pass, etc.

We'll usually take that over big stats anyday of the week.

PG:
(1) Magic
(2) Oscar Robertson
(3) Stockton
(4) Isiah Thomas

SG:
(1) MJ
(2) Kobe
(3) West
(4) Dexler
(5) Gervin

SF:
(1) LBJ
(2) Bird
(3) Wilkins
(4) Pippen
(5) Dr. J

PF:
(1) Duncan
(2) Malone
(4) Barkley

C:
(1) Shaq
(2) Wilt
(3) Olajuwan
(5) Robinson

Common one guy in the league and larger in Russel career, go back and take a look and you will see a bunch of 6'6 white centers Russel dominated!

PG:
(1) Magic
(2) Oscar Robertson
(3) Stockton
(4) Isiah Thomas

SG:
(1) MJ
(2) Kobe
(3) West
(4) Dexler
(5) Gervin

SF:
(1) LBJ
(2) Bird
(3) Wilkins
(4) Pippen
(5) Dr. J

PF:
(1) Duncan
(2) Malone
(4) Barkley

C:
(1) Shaq
(2) Wilt
(3) Olajuwan
(5) Robinson

Common one guy in the league and larger in Russel career, go back and take a look and you will see a bunch of 6'6 white centers Russel dominated!

he also dominated wilt, dopey.

:dig:
:dig:

You beat me to it.

What an artard! :rofl:

Full Name: William Felton Russell
Born: 2/12/34 in Monroe, La.
High School: McClymonds (Oakland, Calif.)
College: San Francisco
Drafted: St. Louis Hawks, 1956 (third overall)
Transactions: Draft rights traded to Boston Celtics, 4/29/56
Height: 6-10; Weight: 220 lbs.
Honors: Elected to Naismith Basketball Basketball Hall of Fame (1975); NBA champion (1957, '59, '60, '61, '62, '63, '64, '65, '66, '68, '69); NBA MVP (1958, '61, '62, '63, '65);
All-NBA First Team (1959, '63, '65); All-NBA Second Team (1958, '60, '61, '62, '64, '66, '67, '68); NBA All-Defensive Team (1969); 12-time NBA All-Star (1958-69); All-Star Game MVP (1963); One of the 50 Greatest Players in NBA History (1996); Olympic gold medalist (1956)

yeah, highly overrated.

Was he good yes. Was he great for his time period, but is he better than the centers after him. I say NO and that is why I think he is overrated!

You can be overrated and still be considered one of the best ever. I think Iverson was great and top player in the league. He might have been the best 6'0 player every! However, I thought he was a little overrated. He played lazy D, he was selfish, for the most part he didn't make his teammates better and he shot too much!

Not that I think Iverson is the best or anything, but how is he "overrated"?

The guy played harder game in and game out than most other professional sports players PERIOD. For his size, he got to the hole better than just about anyone I've ever watched. And for his career, he averages almost 42 minutes per game. As much of a beating as he's taken driving to the hole against the plethora of the NBA's big men, for him to play that much says something.

If not for his well known selfishness and attitude problems throughout his career, he would get way more credibility; Although in his later years I saw first hand as a philly sports fan, how much better he got at passing the ball. He improved his assist totals, and spent a lot more time playing 1-guard. Not to mention, in Philly he hardly ever had anyone even WORTH passing the ball to. There were a few seasons at the end of his time in Philly where his assists were up near 8 per game. Those were the seasons when he actually had decent teammates.

Forum List

Back