It is demeaning to nation for Mrs. Obama to discuss slavery

I don't care whether you feel guilt or you don't. But you are wrong if you don't believe our slave past was shameful.

And you have been gathering information from Council of Conservative Citizens, a shameful white supremacist site.

Shame on you.
And, you're gonna have to prove the bold
The site is the proof of my charge. Anyone can read at Council of Conservative Citizens
and make sure to read the comments.

When did I link to TopConservativeNews?

I linked AmericaCivilWar

:eusa_eh:

In my personal opinion, it is not only demeaning but also divisive and improper for the wife of the President to air her chip on the shoulder opinions to the public.This particular subject has been debated now for decades and decades and it's futile to keep on repeating it.

Since the fact that a black man and woman have become the most powerful figures in the world should show how far the healing process has progressed.

Again, and I reiterate this is my opinion only, I believe it is strange that Michelle Obama doesn't realize her actions are unworthy of her Office.

Absolute bs. They have become the most powerful figures despite the obstacles set before them by those on the right. From birthers, to those threatening the President and his family, there has been no healing, only division, initiated and perpetuated by those on the right.
And who would you be to dictate what is worthy or unworthy of the office. By all accounts, her popularity is "through the roof", higher than her husband's. And I'm sorry if her acknowledging those that had to endure the cruelties of a nation, run by your forebears, interferes with your day to day activities and infringes on your sensibilities. I suggest you get over it. The nerve!

and the Decatur House.

Michelle Obama visits slave quarters

We're long past that time. It's over. Whitey's paid his due. Bringing up the fact that slaves served presidents is just rubbing the nation's nose it what "some people" (fill that in yourselves) consider shameful. Just look at her. It makes my skin crawl to see such a person being first lady.

With the Democrats long and ponderous history of racism, I would hope all Democrats would feel the shame and finally accept responsibility for what they've done to the nation.

The odds seem rather slim though.

Last edited:
and the Decatur House.

We're long past that time. It's over. Whitey's paid his due. Bringing up the fact that slaves served presidents is just rubbing the nation's nose it what "some people" (fill that in yourselves) consider shameful. Just look at her. It makes my skin crawl to see such a person being first lady.

With the Democrats long and ponderous history of racism, I would hope all Democrats would feel the shame and finally accept responsibility for what they've done to the nation.

I agree, and our Republicans should accept the blame for taking on the Southern Strategy and coded language. Truly shameful.

When the walls are caving in one has to find something to justify their existence. The Civil War was the price this country paid for the transgressions and hypocrisy of the founders. I wonder how she views indentured servants?

Correction! Some of the founders. Many of the founders were AGAINST slavery and that is why there were free states and slave states. One fact about the world at the time, much of the world, INCLUDING, Europe (including the UK), Asia, Latin American, AFRICA, the MIDDLE EAST etc all supported and had slaves within their countries.

It should also be noted that without the help of the African tribesman and the Arab slave traders of Northern Africa, the white man would not have been able to enslave Africans. African tribesman caught and sold Africans of other tribes and sold them as chattel to the whites and the Arabs of Northern Africa facilitated this industry.

Another fact the anti-white Black Americans, like the Obamas, leave out. Slavery wasn't ended by Lincoln alone. It was ended by a war the killed hundreds of thousands of PRIMARILY WHITE AMERICANS! Then after the civil war the KKK was defeated during reconstruction by WHITE REPUBLICANS! That's a fact!

Okra sucks. It's slimy nasty stuff. Gag. Even fried it's horrid.

You should try growing it and picking it if you hate how it tastes. It has tiny fuzzy prickles that get under the skin and make you itch for days.

Okra has no redeeming features, IMO. It's slimy in gumbo and it tastes bad fried.

I just made gumbo, last night...and you've never tasted mine. I make it with okra..it's essential.

In my personal opinion, it is not only demeaning but also divisive and improper for the wife of the President to air her chip on the shoulder opinions to the public.This particular subject has been debated now for decades and decades and it's futile to keep on repeating it.

Since the fact that a black man and woman have become the most powerful figures in the world should show how far the healing process has progressed.

Again, and I reiterate this is my opinion only, I believe it is strange that Michelle Obama doesn't realize her actions are unworthy of her Office.
Your opinion is very well stated and is 100% right on! I've always had the impression that Michelle strongly dislikes what she sees in her mirror and her utterly redundant and counterproductive little class field-trip confirms it.

In addition to strongly calling attention to the issue of slavery, which unavoidably evokes major issues of racial disparity in the minds of those school children, I doubt that Lady Michelle's tour of a slave house included an advisement that there would never have been Black slaves in America were it not for the Black slave dealers in Africa who captured other Blacks and sold them to the Dutch, Arab, and Portugese traders who brought them here. And I wonder if she told the children about the many (rarely mentioned) free Blacks in the South who were, themselves, slave owners who also bought and sold Black slaves.

(Excerpt 1)

Several nations such as the Ashanti of present-day Ghana and the Yoruba of present-day Nigeria were involved in slave-trading. Groups such as the Imbangala of Angola and the Nyamwezi of Tanzania would serve as intermediaries or roving bands, waging war on African states to capture people for export as slaves. Historians John Thornton and Linda Heywood of Boston University estimate that 90 percent of those shipped to the New World were enslaved by Africans and then sold to European traders. Henry Louis Gates, the Harvard Chair of African and African American Studies, has stated that "without complex business partnerships between African elites and European traders and commercial agents, the slave trade to the New World would have been impossible, at least on the scale it occurred."

Slavery in Africa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

(Close)
BS lies, white people love to tell themselves to relieve the guilt

Skye and MikeK run around in circles in denying the factuality of the incredible history and shame of American Negro chattel slavery, of the 250000 thousand who were shipped here and their tens of millions of descendants.

Michelle Obama is correct to keep that history alive and others are un-American in attempting to minimalize that fact.

Naaaaah, Michelle just hates America. Apparently she goes to slave events whenever she can. Sheeeeesh, how tiresome.

Note where you say we paid to ship a quarter million here: and now there are tens of millions of them. They have made out like bandits!! They should quit complaining while they open their welfare checks.

They wouldn't be getting any welfare checks if they were still in Africa.

Racist propaganda.

Your opinion is very well stated and is 100% right on! I've always had the impression that Michelle strongly dislikes what she sees in her mirror and her utterly redundant and counterproductive little class field-trip confirms it.

In addition to strongly calling attention to the issue of slavery, which unavoidably evokes major issues of racial disparity in the minds of those school children, I doubt that Lady Michelle's tour of a slave house included an advisement that there would never have been Black slaves in America were it not for the Black slave dealers in Africa who captured other Blacks and sold them to the Dutch, Arab, and Portugese traders who brought them here. And I wonder if she told the children about the many (rarely mentioned) free Blacks in the South who were, themselves, slave owners who also bought and sold Black slaves.

(Excerpt 1)

Several nations such as the Ashanti of present-day Ghana and the Yoruba of present-day Nigeria were involved in slave-trading. Groups such as the Imbangala of Angola and the Nyamwezi of Tanzania would serve as intermediaries or roving bands, waging war on African states to capture people for export as slaves. Historians John Thornton and Linda Heywood of Boston University estimate that 90 percent of those shipped to the New World were enslaved by Africans and then sold to European traders. Henry Louis Gates, the Harvard Chair of African and African American Studies, has stated that "without complex business partnerships between African elites and European traders and commercial agents, the slave trade to the New World would have been impossible, at least on the scale it occurred."

Slavery in Africa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

(Close)

Ummmm

How is this relevant to the history of how AMERICA treated its blacks for 250 years and how AMERICA created its own Constitution that permitted this hateful practice to continue?
It wasn't only Whites who engaged in and profited from the practice of Black slavery. So if you're going to tell the story, tell the whole story -- especially to a group of impressionable school children. That is unless you're intention is to perpetuate racial antagonism.

Uh, that would be your doing.

and the Decatur House.

I agree, and our Republicans should accept the blame for taking on the Southern Strategy and coded language. Truly shameful.

...and African Americans in far greater numbers should accept responsibility for themselves and quit using a long past viable excuse for freeloading the nation.

I wonder if she told those children how the first slave in America was owned by a free black man. If not for that court case, who knows if or when we would have had slavery in America. Is that another example of black on black crime?

Links? Evidence? Sources? Documentation?

Skye and MikeK run around in circles in denying the factuality of the incredible history and shame of American Negro chattel slavery, of the 250000 thousand who were shipped here and their tens of millions of descendants.
Who's denying the practice of Black slavery existed in America? I'm simply tired of hearing and reading what essentially is an oblique indictment of White people when the fact is Blacks had their hand in the practice, too. The problem is we never hear about that.

Michelle Obama is correct to keep that history alive and others are un-American in attempting to minimalize that fact.
Again, if she's going to tell the story, tell the whole story. There is nothing un-American about that. And unless the whole truth makes you uncomfortable, the following is excerpted from a book I think you need to read. It's published by the University of South Carolina Press and you can get it from Amazon -- if you're interested.

(Excerpt)

Most Americans, both black and white, believe that slavery was a system exclusively maintained by whites to exploit blacks, but Larry Koger's authoritative study portrays the small yet significant role that African Americans played as masters in the peculiar institution. By profiling South Carolina's diverse population of African-American slaveowners, he demonstrates that free African-Americans embraced slavery as a viable economic system and that they—like their white counterparts—exploited the labor of slaves on their farms and in their businesses.

Koger sheds light on the rationale behind African-American slaveholding, reveals the caste system that existed within antebellum African-American society, and challenges the notion that African Americans purchased slaves primarily for humanitarian reasons.

Larry Koger holds an M.A. in history from Howard University and lives in Washington, D.C.

Black Slaveowners

(Close)

Excuse me. I doubt it, and certainly not to the extent, scope or level of cruelty that whites engaged in the practice. Did blacks also beat, rape, torture, and maim their slaves (if they had any at all)? More than likely, free blacks bought other blacks to free them from the cruelties and injustices by white slavers.

I wonder if she told those children how the first slave in America was owned by a free black man. If not for that court case, who knows if or when we would have had slavery in America. Is that another example of black on black crime?

Does it somehow negate the sin of slavery?

Not sure if it's a sin and don't know why you would think that I need to negate anything.

In Matthew, when asked "which is the great commandment in the law?", the Bible reports that Jesus answered, "Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind", before also referring to a second commandment, "Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself". I guess you wouldn't consider any black slaves, your "neighbor".

Slavery is not a shame and it is not a sin. Slavery was a method of allocating labor before the industrial revolution.

BS. Then why is the confederate flag also a mark of shame? I suppose in your eyes the end justifies the means. Was the raping of slave women and the beating of slave men included in that method?

It's is dishonorable, navyvet, to adopt a made up nonsense that the first slaves in America were owned by blacks. In fact, in America they were owned by Native Americans first, Spaniards next, then Portuguese and other nationalities, and then in North America overwhelmingly by white men. To some how suggest that the incredibly small number of black slave holders were more significant than their numbers is dishonorable.

Slavery and our past shames us all. Good for Michelle and boo to you.

You obviously have an issue with history, not me. And to clarify, I am talking about what later became the United States of America. You my be grouping the islands into your answer. The first black slave was owned by a free black man who went to court to make the man a slave. Not sure what bullshit you're trying to pull.

Prove that shit.

It's is dishonorable, navyvet, to adopt a made up nonsense that the first slaves in America were owned by blacks. In fact, in America they were owned by Native Americans first, Spaniards next, then Portuguese and other nationalities, and then in North America overwhelmingly by white men. To some how suggest that the incredibly small number of black slave holders were more significant than their numbers is dishonorable.

Slavery and our past shames us all. Good for Michelle and boo to you.

You really should read this, Jake.
Proportionately, you're wrong

Black Slave Owners Civil War Article by Robert M Grooms

The census also determined that there were fewer than 385,000 individuals who owned slaves (1). Even if all slaveholders had been white, that would amount to only 1.4 percent of whites in the country (or 4.8 percent of southern whites owning one or more slaves).

<snip>

The country's leading African American historian, Duke University professor John Hope Franklin, records that in New Orleans over 3,000 free Negroes owned slaves, or 28 percent of the free Negroes in that city.

:eusa_shhh:

White people make up shit all the time to serve their ends. I don't believe that shit for a New York minute.

and the Decatur House.

The odds seem rather slim though.

The racist mantle of the Democrats was taken over by the Republicans from the 1960's to 1980.

Forum List

Back