It is demeaning to nation for Mrs. Obama to discuss slavery

I think slavery is remembered - it keeps being rubbed in everyone's face relentlessly.

I agree that part of our history needs to be remembered, but we also need to remember and include those actions that have been taken over the last 50 years to bring about change and advancements. That part of the equation is never given any attention for trying to make things better.

The Holocaust as well should never be forgotten. That is a part of human history that should never be repeated.

In my personal opinion, it is not only demeaning but also divisive and improper for the wife of the President to air her chip on the shoulder opinions to the public.This particular subject has been debated now for decades and decades and it's futile to keep on repeating it.

Since the fact that a black man and woman have become the most powerful figures in the world should show how far the healing process has progressed.

Again, and I reiterate this is my opinion only, I believe it is strange that Michelle Obama doesn't realize her actions are unworthy of her Office.

and the Decatur House.

Michelle Obama visits slave quarters

We're long past that time. It's over. Whitey's paid his due. Bringing up the fact that slaves served presidents is just rubbing the nation's nose it what "some people" (fill that in yourselves) consider shameful. Just look at her. It makes my skin crawl to see such a person being first lady.

What's demeaning is that some people can't come to terms with history and that we have to listen whines like this. The legacy of slavery is still with us. Ignoring it won't make it go away.

Some folks obviously still feel personal uneasiness with our nation's history.

Make them eat fried okra.

Last edited:
I think slavery is remembered - it keeps being rubbed in everyone's face relentlessly.

I agree that part of our history needs to be remembered, but we also need to remember and include those actions that have been taken over the last 50 years to bring about change and advancements. That part of the equation is never given any attention for trying to make things better.

The Holocaust as well should never be forgotten. That is a part of human history that should never be repeated.
Sort of like the emancipation?

and the Decatur House.

We're long past that time. It's over. Whitey's paid his due. Bringing up the fact that slaves served presidents is just rubbing the nation's nose it what "some people" (fill that in yourselves) consider shameful. Just look at her. It makes my skin crawl to see such a person being first lady.

She's only bringing it up to distract from what an awful week her hubby is having.

Bengazi, irs, the justus dept stealing

LOOK

SLAVERY HAPPENED

Okra sucks. It's slimy nasty stuff. Gag. Even fried it's horrid.

You should try growing it and picking it if you hate how it tastes. It has tiny fuzzy prickles that get under the skin and make you itch for days.

Okra has no redeeming features, IMO. It's slimy in gumbo and it tastes bad fried.

According to the USMB lib posters the only, the one and only slave ever on the face of the planet was supposedly "black in America"

Only American blacks count. Don't talk about the Island blacks and hells bells never ever talk about the Continental blacks.

Continental blacks? The Spanish sugar slaves in Spain and a few islands? The black pages in wealthy Renaissance households dressed in turbans and fancy clothes as a sort of ornament that wasn't a dwarf for a change? Europeans didn't really get into black slavery in Europe. Just their colonies. In their colonies they had a lot more than we ever did, of course.

In my personal opinion, it is not only demeaning but also divisive and improper for the wife of the President to air her chip on the shoulder opinions to the public.This particular subject has been debated now for decades and decades and it's futile to keep on repeating it.

Since the fact that a black man and woman have become the most powerful figures in the world should show how far the healing process has progressed.

Again, and I reiterate this is my opinion only, I believe it is strange that Michelle Obama doesn't realize her actions are unworthy of her Office.
Your opinion is very well stated and is 100% right on! I've always had the impression that Michelle strongly dislikes what she sees in her mirror and her utterly redundant and counterproductive little class field-trip confirms it.

In addition to strongly calling attention to the issue of slavery, which unavoidably evokes major issues of racial disparity in the minds of those school children, I doubt that Lady Michelle's tour of a slave house included an advisement that there would never have been Black slaves in America were it not for the Black slave dealers in Africa who captured other Blacks and sold them to the Dutch, Arab, and Portugese traders who brought them here. And I wonder if she told the children about the many (rarely mentioned) free Blacks in the South who were, themselves, slave owners who also bought and sold Black slaves.

(Excerpt 1)

Several nations such as the Ashanti of present-day Ghana and the Yoruba of present-day Nigeria were involved in slave-trading. Groups such as the Imbangala of Angola and the Nyamwezi of Tanzania would serve as intermediaries or roving bands, waging war on African states to capture people for export as slaves. Historians John Thornton and Linda Heywood of Boston University estimate that 90 percent of those shipped to the New World were enslaved by Africans and then sold to European traders. Henry Louis Gates, the Harvard Chair of African and African American Studies, has stated that "without complex business partnerships between African elites and European traders and commercial agents, the slave trade to the New World would have been impossible, at least on the scale it occurred."

Slavery in Africa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

(Close)

Last edited:
and the Decatur House.

She's only bringing it up to distract from what an awful week her hubby is having.

Bengazi, irs, the justus dept stealing

LOOK

SLAVERY HAPPENED

No guff.. And it appears as I have witnessed apparently only American blacks suffered the most.

Island blacks and Island whites (the red legger Irish slaves)

It seems never bled the same color as American blacks.

According to the USMB lib posters the only, the one and only slave ever on the face of the planet was supposedly "black in America"

Only American blacks count. Don't talk about the Island blacks and hells bells never ever talk about the Continental blacks.

Save us from your "whites had it just as bad" comparisons

You are embarrassing yourself

Your opinion is very well stated and is 100% right on! I've always had the impression that Michelle strongly dislikes what she sees in her mirror and her utterly redundant and counterproductive little class field-trip confirms it.

In addition to strongly calling attention to the issue of slavery, which unavoidably evokes major issues of racial disparity in the minds of those school children, I doubt that Lady Michelle's tour of a slave house included an advisement that there would never have been Black slaves in America were it not for the Black slave dealers in Africa who captured other Blacks and sold them to the Dutch, Arab, and Portugese traders who brought them here. And I wonder if she told the children about the many (rarely mentioned) free Blacks in the South who were, themselves, slave owners who also bought and sold Black slaves.

(Excerpt 1)

Several nations such as the Ashanti of present-day Ghana and the Yoruba of present-day Nigeria were involved in slave-trading. Groups such as the Imbangala of Angola and the Nyamwezi of Tanzania would serve as intermediaries or roving bands, waging war on African states to capture people for export as slaves. Historians John Thornton and Linda Heywood of Boston University estimate that 90 percent of those shipped to the New World were enslaved by Africans and then sold to European traders. Henry Louis Gates, the Harvard Chair of African and African American Studies, has stated that "without complex business partnerships between African elites and European traders and commercial agents, the slave trade to the New World would have been impossible, at least on the scale it occurred."

(Close)

Ummmm

How is this relevant to the history of how AMERICA treated its blacks for 250 years and how AMERICA created its own Constitution that permitted this hateful practice to continue?

Skye and MikeK run around in circles in denying the factuality of the incredible history and shame of American Negro chattel slavery, of the 250000 thousand who were shipped here and their tens of millions of descendants.

Michelle Obama is correct to keep that history alive and others are un-American in attempting to minimalize that fact.

Skye and MikeK run around in circles in denying the factuality of the incredible history and shame of American Negro chattel slavery, of the 250000 thousand who were shipped here and their tens of millions of descendants.

Michelle Obama is correct to keep that history alive and others are un-American in attempting to minimalize that fact.

Naaaaah, Michelle just hates America. Apparently she goes to slave events whenever she can. Sheeeeesh, how tiresome.

Note where you say we paid to ship a quarter million here: and now there are tens of millions of them. They have made out like bandits!! They should quit complaining while they open their welfare checks.

They wouldn't be getting any welfare checks if they were still in Africa.

(Excerpt 1)

(Close)

Ummmm

How is this relevant to the history of how AMERICA treated its blacks for 250 years and how AMERICA created its own Constitution that permitted this hateful practice to continue?
It wasn't only Whites who engaged in and profited from the practice of Black slavery. So if you're going to tell the story, tell the whole story -- especially to a group of impressionable school children. That is unless you're intention is to perpetuate racial antagonism.

Last edited:
I wonder if she told those children how the first slave in America was owned by a free black man. If not for that court case, who knows if or when we would have had slavery in America. Is that another example of black on black crime?

Skye and MikeK run around in circles in denying the factuality of the incredible history and shame of American Negro chattel slavery, of the 250000 who were shipped here and their tens of millions of descendants.

Apparently she goes to slave events whenever she can. Sheeeeesh, how tiresome.

Nah, you are tiresome and un-American. Your nonsense is on the ash heap of history.

Who's denying the practice of Black slavery existed in America? I'm simply tired of hearing and reading what essentially is an oblique indictment of White people when the fact is Blacks had their hand in the practice, too. The problem is we never hear about that.

Again, if she's going to tell the story, tell the whole story. There is nothing un-American about that. And unless the whole truth makes you uncomfortable, the following is excerpted from a book I think you need to read. It's published by the University of South Carolina Press and you can get it from Amazon -- if you're interested.

(Excerpt)

Most Americans, both black and white, believe that slavery was a system exclusively maintained by whites to exploit blacks, but Larry Koger's authoritative study portrays the small yet significant role that African Americans played as masters in the peculiar institution. By profiling South Carolina's diverse population of African-American slaveowners, he demonstrates that free African-Americans embraced slavery as a viable economic system and that they—like their white counterparts—exploited the labor of slaves on their farms and in their businesses.

Koger sheds light on the rationale behind African-American slaveholding, reveals the caste system that existed within antebellum African-American society, and challenges the notion that African Americans purchased slaves primarily for humanitarian reasons.

Larry Koger holds an M.A. in history from Howard University and lives in Washington, D.C.

Black Slaveowners

(Close)

Forum List

Back