Debate Now Is it reasonable to think Trump suffers from mental illness? NPD, dementia, something else?

Discussion in 'Debate Now - Structured Discussion Forum' started by usmbguest5318, Feb 12, 2017.

1. OldLady

OldLady Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +33,388
    Being unprepared and incapable of leading the free world does not make one "crazy." Poor personal judgment in how one acts in public does not make one "crazy." He doesn't pick his nose or go off on rants that are dissociated with reality. What people call lies are usually exaggerations or inaccuracies. "I did not have sex with that woman" is a lie. "The dishonest fake media" is not. I think he's awful, same as you, but I don't see mental illness that precludes him from serving. Everyone hoping the 25th will somehow apply to him is dreaming, I think.

2. Wry Catcher

Wry Catcher Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +16,869
    I think you're wrong. He's by definition (see the DSM-V) a narcissist.

Narcissistic personality disorder - Wikipedia

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. OldLady

OldLady Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +33,388
    Susan Collins "worried"
    Later Tuesday, Collins' office sent a statement from communications director Annie Clark saying that Collins was "worried" about Trump's budget.
    "Senator Collins is worried about the elimination of transportation and housing programs in the President’s budget request that are critically important to local communities across our country," she said, pointing out specific grant programs that Trump has proposed eliminating.

Gordon Humphrey (R-NH) -- Trump is "mentally unwell"
    I think that making incendiary remarks such as raining down fire and fury on North Korea is akin to pouring gasoline on a fire. The president is engaging in a kind of nuclear game of chicken.
    It worked though, didn't it? I believe Kennedy was accused of doing the same during the Cuban Missile Crisis.

[Other] Republican Senators worry Trump is mentally ill
    I haven’t heard a lot of good things, and I’ve heard great concern about the president’s temperament.”
    Temperament is not the same as mental health.

4. OldLady

OldLady Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +33,388
    I know you think being a narcissist makes him unfit to serve. We discussed this before. I disagree that that alone disqualifies him. But you have a right to your opinion.

5. Wry Catcher

Wry Catcher Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +16,869
    His behavior is erratic, he has the nuclear codes.

6. usmbguest5318

usmbguest5318 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,771
    Really?
    • Most recently --> President Trump Ranted For 77 Minutes in Phoenix. Here’s What He Said
    • Claiming to know Putin when he did not is a mere exaggeration rather than a lack of connection with reality?
    • Claiming to be someone whom one is not is what? A mere inaccuracy?
    • Asserting that nobody has more respect for women than he does after also having treated women as he has is connected with what reality?
    I could go on and on...Indeed I did in the OP identify more than just a few instances in which Trump manifested an utter lack of connection with several realities. Yes, some of them can be written off as lies, a few as exaggerations, but not all of them, and, as for the exaggerations, that's a lot of exaggerating, more than the quantity and quality of such things one would expect from someone who's not lost their mind.

7. usmbguest5318

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,771
    Yes, she was worried about that ALSO.

That remains to be seen.

Kennedy didn't, however, have the long trail of other absurd remarks and behaviors that Trump does. One act alone is not enough to declare one "nuts." The issue at hand here and with regard to whether the man is "mental," isn't any one absurd, ridiculous, delusional, outrageous, etc. act or statement Trump has made, but rather the sum total of the oh-so-many he's made and what, taken in total, one should as a result construe about the nature of Trump's sanity.

It is not the same as because it is part and an indication of one's mental health and mental health status.

8. usmbguest5318

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,771
    Merely being a narcissist does not disqualify one. Being a narcissist to the extent that one has NPD, IMO, does. So does having mild or more significant forms of dementia.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. usmbguest5318

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,771
    And therein, no matter the cause, is a huge part of the risk associated with our having that man as POTUS.

10. Correll

Correll Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +28,655
    No.