Is there a god?

That would be what legal positivism is. You want that so you can follow the letter of the law and no more. The moral law goes beyond that.
So nobody knows what all the standards are?
Natural laws are discovered. Jesus summed it up nicely though. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

You would be well served to heed his advice.
So that’s it? Man, why can’t you ever back up what you say?
I thought everyone understood this concept.
You're claiming a set of standards that I'm not living up to. How can I live up to them if you won't say what they are?
That's not exactly what I have claimed.

Because you could have done better.
Better how? Explain it in more detail?
If you couldn't see your error I doubt I would be able to convince you.
So then I’ve adhered to my highest standard of conduct.
I'm not sure how you logically arrived at that conclusion.
I've adhered to my own highest standard of conduct. And if I think it's the highest standard, how can I be expected to adhere to someone else's "higher" standard?
It isn't someone else's "higher" standard. It is the highest standard.

Because you could have done better.
I've adhered to my own highest standard of conduct. And if I think it's the highest standard, how can I be expected to adhere to someone else's "higher" standard?
I'm curious now... is your highest standard to be disrespectful? Is your highest standard to put words in other people's mouths and then bash them for the words you put there?

Natural laws are discovered. Jesus summed it up nicely though. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

You're claiming a set of standards that I'm not living up to. How can I live up to them if you won't say what they are?
That's not exactly what I have claimed.
But how can I live up to a set of standards if I don't know what they are? And if you don't know, who does?

I'm curious now... is your highest standard to be disrespectful? Is your highest standard to put words in other people's mouths and then bash them for the words you put there?
Since I am neither, I dunno.

That would be what legal positivism is. You want that so you can follow the letter of the law and no more. The moral law goes beyond that.

Christ kept over 600 rules or standards of Mosiac Law. Because He was Jewish.
He gave us one. One standard to live by:
Love your Father and each other.
There ya go.

I, personally, believe that there is a god. What that means, though, I have been struggling with for quite some time. Therefore, I pose the questions:

1. If there is a god, what does that mean?
  2. If there is not a god, what does that mean?
I am looking for opinion, obviously, I do not believe there will ever be proof, or empirical evidence (at least not until rapture, assuming that there is a god). What I am looking for here is what people believe. What leads you to believe what you do? Why?

Let me be clear, I am NOT looking for evangelism of any kind here. I am looking for what the presence of god (or lack of a god) means to you. I know this is a pretty ambiguous thread, and I do that on purpose, because I do not ant to influence the way anyone responds. I want to open a discussion about what your beliefs (whatever they are) have shaped who you are, how you look at religion (in general), and how you look at the world.

If I believe in God and an afterlife, and God does not exist, then when I die I have lost nothing.
If I do not believe in God and an afterlife, and God does exist, then I have lost everything...
Well said, this has helped me "keep the faith" through many a difficult time. Also, it is something that most Atheists have a difficult time in coming to grips with, in my experience.
Only Those Who Develop Nature Are Supernatural

Pascal's Wager is easy to refute. You do lose a lot by believing in Someone Who doesn't exist and following oppressive, inhibiting, and unnatural laws that you are told He laid down.

What do you lose? What is oppressive or unnatural about one law? Love one another. Is that what oppresses you?

There ya go.
My father's a prick. Got anything else? :biggrin:

You earthly father may be a prick, but Your Heavenly Father is the opposite. He loves you beyond your capacity to understand. He never takes his eyes off of you. And has made you co-heir of all He has created.
Give Him a chance. He will not disappoint. He is everything your earthly father is not.

There ya go.
If you loved either God or your neighbor you would never have allowed satan to enter your mind to perpetuate falsehood and the evil of the idolatrous worship of a human being who never claimed to be an edible triune God.

edible, hob?
Darkness and light cannot exist in the same place at the same time. Stay in the Spirit and Satan has no choice but to flee. But your statement is a perfect example of why you need Christ. He can handle Satan better than we can. Accept Christ as your Savior, and have no doubt who the winner will be. You will be the winner.

edible, hob?
Darkness and light cannot exist in the same place at the same time. Stay in the Spirit and Satan has no choice but to flee. But your statement is a perfect example of why you need Christ. He can handle Satan better than we can. Accept Christ as your Savior, and have no doubt who the winner will be. You will be the winner.

Yes, edible.

What do you suggest that I should do to be saved?

Seek eternal life from from a god made man made matzo made by human hands as if spiritual life was edible? As if something made by human hands that has no life at all can give life, if only I would just get down on my knees worship it, eat it, and believe? Then I'll be a winner? Really? :auiqs.jpg:

Not by the hair on my chinny chin chin.

Last edited:
Your choice. God doesn't force Himself on anyone.

Yeah, thanks. I'll pass.

Just a few questions..

Who forced that garbage down your throat? Were you too young to understand what was being done to you? Are you too old to remember?

Do you even care?

Last edited:
Answer to prayer, and prophesy, an increase due to tithing as promised, houses I didn't build, and fields I didn't plant. Name it. He never fails. In fact, He said He could prove it to you, but you passed.
He accurately portrayed the times I am living in, 2000 years ago. You can't even tell me who will win the Kentucky Derby Sat.....
I'll stick with the one that can see the end from the beginning, thanks.

Last edited:
I, personally, believe that there is a god. What that means, though, I have been struggling with for quite some time. Therefore, I pose the questions:

I am looking for opinion, obviously, I do not believe there will ever be proof, or empirical evidence (at least not until rapture, assuming that there is a god). What I am looking for here is what people believe. What leads you to believe what you do? Why?

Let me be clear, I am NOT looking for evangelism of any kind here. I am looking for what the presence of god (or lack of a god) means to you. I know this is a pretty ambiguous thread, and I do that on purpose, because I do not ant to influence the way anyone responds. I want to open a discussion about what your beliefs (whatever they are) have shaped who you are, how you look at religion (in general), and how you look at the world.

If I believe in God and an afterlife, and God does not exist, then when I die I have lost nothing.
If I do not believe in God and an afterlife, and God does exist, then I have lost everything...
Well said, this has helped me "keep the faith" through many a difficult time. Also, it is something that most Atheists have a difficult time in coming to grips with, in my experience.
Only Those Who Develop Nature Are Supernatural

Pascal's Wager is easy to refute. You do lose a lot by believing in Someone Who doesn't exist and following oppressive, inhibiting, and unnatural laws that you are told He laid down.

What do you lose? What is oppressive or unnatural about one law? Love one another. Is that what oppresses you?
Hate Is Part of the Survival Instinct; Trust Is Part of the Death Wish

That's for suckers, who will easily get taken in by those not worth loving. Besides, what are you trying to pull by saying that there is only one simple law?

There ya go.
My father's a prick. Got anything else? :biggrin:
Same Childish Quest Leads to the "Divine Right of KIngs"

If you're dissatisfied with your father, be proud that it didn't drive you into the wish-fulfillment of inventing a perfect One to make you feel more important than those who are satisfied with their fathers.

Answer to prayer, and prophecy, an increase due to tithing as promised, houses I didn't build, and fields I didn't plant. Name it. He never fails. In fact, He said He could prove it to you, but you passed.
He accurately portrayed the times I am living in, 2000 years ago. ..
I'll stick with the one that can see the end from the beginning, thanks.
Why Nerds Treated Hawking Like an Apostle

That error led to the goofiness of postmodern physics. Not even God can see the future, because the future doesn't exist. Time is not a dimension, with the rest of it lying out there waiting for us. It is instantaneous, from nowhere and then immediately gone forever.

Hate Is Part of the Survival Instinct; Trust Is Part of the Death Wish

That's for suckers, who will easily get taken in by those not worth loving. Besides, what are you trying to pull by saying that there is only one simple law?

Who are you to believe that only following the letter of the law is moral? That's pretty much the mentality that got us into this mess.

Same Childish Quest Leads to the "Divine Right of KIngs"

If you're dissatisfied with your father, be proud that it didn't drive you into the wish-fulfillment of inventing a perfect One to make you feel more important than those who are satisfied with their fathers.

No. Reason and experience tells us that absent belief in a higher power is what causes us to elevate a man to rule us.

Why Nerds Treated Hawking Like an Apostle

That error led to the goofiness of postmodern physics. Not even God can see the future, because the future doesn't exist. Time is not a dimension, with the rest of it lying out there waiting for us. It is instantaneous, from nowhere and then immediately gone forever.

Clearly you are unaware of a little thing called the problem with time.

still cannot believe you did not wake up all these years later that it is obvious there is no god the fact that good CHRISTIAN people who go to church all the time die horrible slow painful deaths despite their devotion to him. :iyfyus.jpg:
Mock that which you do not understand all you want. Doesn't change a thing. Won't EVER convince me that you have so much as a point. It is, apparently, in your nature to mock that which you do not understand. If you do not believe, fine. I don't mock those who do not believe, and I would hope that you can find the courage to refrain from mocking those who do.

Forum List

Back