Is there a god?

You have no examples to give, let's see a list of your moral laws.
I already explained this to you. The list is as long as the list of behaviors and situations. I gave you some examples and you dismissed them. It would be illogical to do it again.

Tell you what, you give me a situation and we can work through that example to identify the highest standard and then you can see how the process works. Fair enough?
So there's no set of standards that can be written down. So how is anyone supposed to follow a set of standards if there's nothing to go by?
That would be what legal positivism is. You want that so you can follow the letter of the law and no more. The moral law goes beyond that.
So nobody knows what all the standards are?
Natural laws are discovered. Jesus summed it up nicely though. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

You would be well served to heed his advice.
So that’s it? Man, why can’t you ever back up what you say?

God wanted Adam to stay in homo heaven with Him but the snake talked Adam into some nice, warm pussy. God, He mad, and fucked us all up. Well, that's the gyst of it anyways. :biggrin:
This would be a good example of you not adhering to the highest standard of conduct. Do you need for me to explain why? Or do you already know?
Go for it.
Because you could have done better.
Better how? Explain it in more detail?
If you couldn't see your error I doubt I would be able to convince you.
So then I’ve adhered to my highest standard of conduct.

I already explained this to you. The list is as long as the list of behaviors and situations. I gave you some examples and you dismissed them. It would be illogical to do it again.

Tell you what, you give me a situation and we can work through that example to identify the highest standard and then you can see how the process works. Fair enough?
So there's no set of standards that can be written down. So how is anyone supposed to follow a set of standards if there's nothing to go by?
That would be what legal positivism is. You want that so you can follow the letter of the law and no more. The moral law goes beyond that.
Natural laws are discovered. Jesus summed it up nicely though. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

I thought everyone understood this concept.

This would be a good example of you not adhering to the highest standard of conduct. Do you need for me to explain why? Or do you already know?
Go for it.
I'm not sure how you logically arrived at that conclusion.

I, personally, believe that there is a god. What that means, though, I have been struggling with for quite some time. Therefore, I pose the questions:

1. If there is a god, what does that mean?
  2. If there is not a god, what does that mean?
I am looking for opinion, obviously, I do not believe there will ever be proof, or empirical evidence (at least not until rapture, assuming that there is a god). What I am looking for here is what people believe. What leads you to believe what you do? Why?

Let me be clear, I am NOT looking for evangelism of any kind here. I am looking for what the presence of god (or lack of a god) means to you. I know this is a pretty ambiguous thread, and I do that on purpose, because I do not ant to influence the way anyone responds. I want to open a discussion about what your beliefs (whatever they are) have shaped who you are, how you look at religion (in general), and how you look at the world.

If I believe in God and an afterlife, and God does not exist, then when I die I have lost nothing.
If I do not believe in God and an afterlife, and God does exist, then I have lost everything...
Well said, this has helped me "keep the faith" through many a difficult time. Also, it is something that most Atheists have a difficult time in coming to grips with, in my experience.

"Had to"? It is dishonest, aggressive, and predatory to exclude the alternative, which is that things existed forever, but could change forms, as in the Thermodynamic Law of Conservation of Energy.

It sounds like ABG theory (Anything but God). But, yeah, maybe the universe has just always existed. Although the evidence of the Big Bang suggests that the universe had a beginning.
All Is Lava

The Big Bang erupted from another universe. It is significant that it has a childish name, because the physics geeks who invented that impossible initial state never grew up. They are neurotic escapists whose sophomoric attitude made them invent something even sillier than theism.

It means you better try to be a good person because being bad could lead to punishment or bad karma.

I know you don't believe but I'll share with you anyway.

A number of people who have had NDE's have shared accounts of how they had a "life review". In their reviews, they themselves could feel the pain that they had caused others. .

Hallowed Hallucinations

So we better watch out and do everything the Theists tell us will save mankind from another near-extinction, especially dropping a wad in the collection plate to make their clerics richer!

For every bible-thumping theist out there, there's a ridiculing, mocking guy like this.
Sermon of a Je$u$ Salesman

Pray
Then pay
That's the way
To make my day

It's proof, but it doesn't connect that it's because of an invisible superbeing in another dimension who wants us to study the hidden meanings of a book written by ignoramusses. All that part you guys made up.

Maybe "God" is the programmer of the video game and we're its characters.
Discrediting Creative Geniuses by Calling Them Mere Instruments

That fits in with the contempt for mankind shown by theists.

A Bribed Talking Point That Empowers Fake-Christian GreedHeads

Neither does the Bible talk about fetal rights.. Certainly it would specifically be one of the Ten Commandments, instead of a power-hungry Puritanical interpretation of "Thou Shalt Not Kill." In fact, some pacifist Christians even use that to condemn capital punishment and glorify their anti-social sissiness. So, whatever gets the choir yelping is what brings in donations.

And one problem you have with your argument is that if there HAS to be a beginning to the universe, then why not a beginning to your god?

Well, someone or something HAD to come first that didn't need to be caused by someone or something else, right?
No, you'd need to prove that. And you can't.

It's just logic 101.
And one problem you have with your argument is that if there HAS to be a beginning to the universe, then why not a beginning to your god?

Well, someone or something HAD to come first that didn't need to be caused by someone or something else, right?

It's just logic 101.
Logic 101 would say that we don't know. Why are you folks so hung up on that your invisible friend came first? There's no logic to that. It's possibility, nothing more.
The Neos Are Conning Their Congregations

A totalitarian Supreme Being for those with Daddy issues is not possible, except in some kind of insanity like the one that would make reality be as imaginary as the one programmed for everybody in The Matrix.

It's just logic 101.
Logic 101 would say that we don't know. Why are you folks so hung up on that your invisible friend came first? There's no logic to that. It's possibility, nothing more.

Logic 101 tells me that, when I enter a room and see it set up for a wedding reception, I deduce that another made it happen. I don't presume not to know and leave open the possibilities that the tables, chairs, decorations, etc. organized themselves.
Your Pulpit Is Only for Dumb Bullying Apes

I don't have an ignorant book of primitive fairy tales backing me up, but it's clear to me that life designed itself through its own intelligence. It's not very intelligent to reject that answer, but it is consistent with the fact that religion is an insult to intelligence.

Last edited:
I, personally, believe that there is a god. What that means, though, I have been struggling with for quite some time. Therefore, I pose the questions:

I am looking for opinion, obviously, I do not believe there will ever be proof, or empirical evidence (at least not until rapture, assuming that there is a god). What I am looking for here is what people believe. What leads you to believe what you do? Why?

Let me be clear, I am NOT looking for evangelism of any kind here. I am looking for what the presence of god (or lack of a god) means to you. I know this is a pretty ambiguous thread, and I do that on purpose, because I do not ant to influence the way anyone responds. I want to open a discussion about what your beliefs (whatever they are) have shaped who you are, how you look at religion (in general), and how you look at the world.

If I believe in God and an afterlife, and God does not exist, then when I die I have lost nothing.
If I do not believe in God and an afterlife, and God does exist, then I have lost everything...
Well said, this has helped me "keep the faith" through many a difficult time. Also, it is something that most Atheists have a difficult time in coming to grips with, in my experience.
Only Those Who Develop Nature Are Supernatural

Pascal's Wager is easy to refute. You do lose a lot by believing in Someone Who doesn't exist and following oppressive, inhibiting, and unnatural laws that you are told He laid down.

It means you better try to be a good person because being bad could lead to punishment or bad karma.

I know you don't believe but I'll share with you anyway.

A number of people who have had NDE's have shared accounts of how they had a "life review". In their reviews, they themselves could feel the pain that they had caused others. .

Hallowed Hallucinations
The mind is amazing huh?

Spoken like a militant atheist on a mission.
Just pointing out that his views are contrary to science. You can't handle that.
Which scientific facts would that be, Taz?
Science doesn't say that an invisible being poofed man into being.

thats why i keep saying,science explains it all with evolution. the world is far too fucked up for there to be a god.

I'm still waiting on that snake story.

dude that was a joke:haha:,the fairy tale we have been told in bible classes is that satan had a snake convince adam to eat the apple or something like that. well in the REAL world,you are not going to see a talking snake speak a language but IF that happened,okay i would concede THEN,there is a possiblity of a god. :iyfyus.jpg:

as i said before,till we see a spirit that stretched MILLIONS of miles long for the entire world to see as they do the moon,then people are grapsing at straws that there is a god with that fairy tale theory that hols no water he created man and the world.:iyfyus.jpg:

Just pointing out that his views are contrary to science. You can't handle that.
Which scientific facts would that be, Taz?
Science doesn't say that an invisible being poofed man into being.

thats why i keep saying,science explains it all with evolution. the world is far too fucked up for there to be a god.

I'm still waiting on that snake story.
God wanted Adam to stay in homo heaven with Him but the snake talked Adam into some nice, warm pussy. God, He mad, and fucked us all up. Well, that's the gyst of it anyways. :biggrin:

it cracks me up there people today STILL believe that fantasy invented by some joker that there really was a talking snake at time in history.:iyfyus.jpg:

still cannot believe you did not wake up all these years later that it is obvious there is no god the fact that good CHRISTIAN people who go to church all the time die horrible slow painful deaths despite their devotion to him. :iyfyus.jpg:

still cannot believe you did not wake up all these years later that it is obvious there is no god the fact that good CHRISTIAN people who go to church all the time die horrible slow painful deaths despite their devotion to him. :iyfyus.jpg:
Is your expectation that believing in God means you will never experience death?

Because I don't think that is exactly their belief.

I thought everyone understood this concept.
You're claiming a set of standards that I'm not living up to. How can I live up to them if you won't say what they are?

Go for it.
I'm not sure how you logically arrived at that conclusion.
I've adhered to my own highest standard of conduct. And if I think it's the highest standard, how can I be expected to adhere to someone else's "higher" standard?

Forum List

Back