Is there a god?

oldsoul

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2015
Standing with Covington Kids
I, personally, believe that there is a god. What that means, though, I have been struggling with for quite some time. Therefore, I pose the questions:

1. If there is a god, what does that mean?
  2. If there is not a god, what does that mean?
I am looking for opinion, obviously, I do not believe there will ever be proof, or empirical evidence (at least not until rapture, assuming that there is a god). What I am looking for here is what people believe. What leads you to believe what you do? Why?

Let me be clear, I am NOT looking for evangelism of any kind here. I am looking for what the presence of god (or lack of a god) means to you. I know this is a pretty ambiguous thread, and I do that on purpose, because I do not ant to influence the way anyone responds. I want to open a discussion about what your beliefs (whatever they are) have shaped who you are, how you look at religion (in general), and how you look at the world.

Nothing to me, as it doesn't impact my life. For those who think and take the chance on a better life after this life , they just might disregard this life as a means to an end and beginning.
  1. If there is not a god, what does that mean?
That life in the here and now is as precious as can be, because when its over, its over.

IIf there is a god, what does that mean?

Great question. One people usually aren't willing to explore. I see gods as social "memes" of a sort. A god is a construct representing a set of values, beliefs and goals shared by believers.

I, personally, believe that there is a god. What that means, though, I have been struggling with for quite some time. Therefore, I pose the questions:

2. If there is not a god, what does that mean?
I am looking for opinion, obviously, I do not believe there will ever be proof, or empirical evidence (at least not until rapture, assuming that there is a god). What I am looking for here is what people believe. What leads you to believe what you do? Why?

Let me be clear, I am NOT looking for evangelism of any kind here. I am looking for what the presence of god (or lack of a god) means to you. I know this is a pretty ambiguous thread, and I do that on purpose, because I do not ant to influence the way anyone responds. I want to open a discussion about what your beliefs (whatever they are) have shaped who you are, how you look at religion (in general), and how you look at the world.

If there is a god, what does that mean?
Literally ANYTHING is possible and we can't believe our senses. If we guess the identity of God incorrectly we may be condemned to hell for all eternity as will most of mankind. This life has little meaning since it is only the eternal afterlife that has value so we should kill our babies so they won't sin and end up in hell.​

If there is not a god, what does that mean?
The world is what it appears to be and only natural laws exist. There is no afterlife so every life is unique and infinitely valuable. We can't expect divine intervention so we must manage our affairs by ourselves and ensure we leave the best world we can to our children.​

God is not a mighty bulldozer working on the globe with an awed audience looking on. God is in the billions of worlds that make up this planet. Thousands of years ago, Elijah pinpointed the best description we have of God, that He is like a tiny, whispering sound and He is in the midst of each of our billions of worlds living on this globe. While I have had God's help in ways that rose behind that tiny whispering sound, that always came about when I was passionately sincere about fixing something relatively minor that was hurting someone in my world. There have been several times when God sent something my way, apparently confident I could be of assistance if I agreed to step out and lend a small hand in a small way, in a small world.

We are left with envisioning nothingness. We either came from God and return to God, or we came from nothing and return to nothing.

God is not a mighty bulldozer working on the globe with an awed audience looking on. God is in the billions of worlds that make up this planet. Thousands of years ago, Elijah pinpointed the best description we have of God, that He is like a tiny, whispering sound and He is in the midst of each of our billions of worlds living on this globe. While I have had God's help in ways that rose behind that tiny whispering sound, that always came about when I was passionately sincere about fixing something relatively minor that was hurting someone in my world. There have been several times when God sent something my way, apparently confident I could be of assistance if I agreed to step out and lend a small hand in a small way, in a small world.

We are left with envisioning nothingness. We either came from God and return to God, or we came from nothing and return to nothing.
There are plenty of other possibilities. Anyways, even if you have it wrong, we're all going to the same place anyways, there's zero proof that some go here and some go there...

Great question. One people usually aren't willing to explore. I see gods as social "memes" of a sort. A god is a construct representing a set of values, beliefs and goals shared by believers.
Great question. One people usually aren't willing to explore.
As shown by many of the responses so far.

So, assuming there is a god of some sort, what does that mean? By which I mean, "What does that mean to you in your life?"

So, assuming there is a god of some sort, what does that mean? By which I mean, "What does that mean to you in your life?"
Love God’s creation and God will love you.

I don't subscribe to any gods currently, so, not much I guess.

The God of Jacob or any of the gods of the many other religions? You need to be specific.
I refer to the concept of a god, any god. Be it the god of Jacob, or Allah, or the Great Spirit, whatever. WHAT god is unimportant, whether there IS a god is what I am getting at.
A lot of the Greek Gods were pretty evil, so it does matter which you choose to follow.

The God of Jacob or any of the gods of the many other religions? You need to be specific.
I refer to the concept of a god, any god. Be it the god of Jacob, or Allah, or the Great Spirit, whatever. WHAT god is unimportant, whether there IS a god is what I am getting at.
A lot of the Greek Gods were pretty evil, so it does matter which you choose to follow.
Point taken. Replace the word "god" with "higher power" if you prefer. I guess the specifics don't really matter in the context I am attempting (poorly apparently) to get at. So, let me reword:

• If you believe in a god, what does that mean to you in your daily life? What do your beliefs do for you? How does it affect your decisions?
  • If you do not believe in a god, what meaning do you glean from that? How does that change the way you live?

Yes; and creating your own post-physical existence is your purpose.
Not sure what you are getting at here. That this life is merely a means to solidify your place in some sort of after-life?
Yes.
What you do creates your eternity.
Are you saying then, that what you do, not what you attempt (or strive for) is what determines your eternity?
Your sincere attempts are taken into account as well as the ramifications of your actions and intentions.

Forum List

Back