IQ Question Thread

no1tovote4 said:
So, where is his question?

Once upon a time, and old lady went to sell her vast quantity of eggs at the local market.

When asked how many she had, she replied:

Son, I can't count past 100 but I know that.

If you divide the number of eggs by 2 there will be one egg left.
If you divide the number of eggs by 3 there will be one egg left.
If you divide the number of eggs by 4 there will be one egg left.
If you divide the number of eggs by 5 there will be one egg left.
If you divide the number of eggs by 6 there will be one egg left.
If you divide the number of eggs by 7 there will be one egg left.
If you divide the number of eggs by 8 there will be one egg left.
If you divide the number of eggs by 9 there will be one egg left.
If you divide the number of eggs by 10 there will be one egg left.

Finally. If you divide the Number of eggs by 11 there will be NO EGGS left!

How many eggs did the old lady have?

MissileMan said:
Once upon a time, and old lady went to sell her vast quantity of eggs at the local market.

Hee, hee! This is a fun math problem! Since I was a math major I will leave this one to others. I can PM you with the way to solve it, or answer it if everybody else gives up.

MissileMan said:

Okay, it's driving me crazy. I just got to answer.

First you have to figure out the lowest number into which all of the first nine numbers (2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10) divide and leave no remainders...

Use the Prime factors: 2*2*2*3*3*5*7

That number is 2520. In order to have a remainder of one for all of them you would add one to the number and you get 2521. But that would only satisfy the first 9 requirements.

Now in order to get a remainder of zero the number has to divide evenly by 11 and leave no remainders at all.

2520/11 has a remainder of 1. Therefore two of that variable have a remainder of 2, so forth until 10, which leaves a remainder of 10. In order to make the number divide evenly at the smallest intervals we would add 1 to that number. (10*2520) +1 = 25201.

This gives us the answer with the lowest common multiplyer possible.

25,201 eggs!

no1tovote4 said:

First you have to figure out the lowest number into which all of the first nine numbers (2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10) divide and leave no remainders...

That number is 2520. In order to have a remainder of one for all of them you would add one to the number and you get 2521. But that would only satisfy the first 9 requirements.

Now in order to get a remainder of zero the number has to divide evenly by 11 and leave no remainders at all.

2520/11 has a remainder of 1. Therefore two of that variable have a remainder of 2, so forth until 10, which leaves a remainder of 10. In order to make the number divide evenly at the smallest intervals we would add 1 to that number. (10*2520) +1 = 25201.

25,201 eggs!

your turn

no1tovote4 said:

25,201 eggs!

I figured the solution was solved like that... but the part where she said "I can't count past 100" threw me for a loop.

Good question MissileMan!

A professor has set up a challenge for 3 students in his logic class. He has asked them to stand one in front of the other so that student #3 could see both #2 and #1, student #2 can see only #1 and #1 cannot see the other two. Now the professor shows the 3 students 5 hats: 2 are Black and 3 are White. The professor then blindfolds the 3 students and places one hat on each student, and hides the other two hats in a desk drawer. Next, he removes the blindfolds and says:

"Using logical thinking only, determine the color of your own hat within one minute."

Remember that none of the students can see his own hat. Yet through logical deductions, student #1 shouts out the correct color of his hat - with just seconds to spare!

What is the color of student #1's hat and how did he figure out the correct color?

no1tovote4 said:
A professor has set up a challenge for 3 students in his logic class. He has asked them to stand one in front of the other so that student #3 could see both #2 and #1, student #2 can see only #1 and #1 cannot see the other two. Now the professor shows the 3 students 5 hats: 2 are Black and 3 are White. The professor then blindfolds the 3 students and places one hat on each student, and hides the other two hats in a desk drawer. Next, he removes the blindfolds and says:

"Using logical thinking only, determine the color of your own hat within one minute."

Remember that none of the students can see his own hat. Yet through logical deductions, student #1 shouts out the correct color of his hat - with just seconds to spare!

What is the color of student #1's hat and how did he figure out the correct color?

Thanks, now my head hurts. :mad:

no1tovote4 said:

#3 can see two hats. If both were black, he would know his hat was white. But #3 doesn't say anything, so he must not know. That means that either there is a) one black hat and one white hat, or b) two white hats.

#2 can only see one hat. If he sees a black hat, as shown above, then his hat would be white. He does not say anything, either. Therefore, #1 must be wearing a white hat.

gop_jeff said:
#3 can see two hats. If both were black, he would know his hat was white. But #3 doesn't say anything, so he must not know. That means that either there is a) one black hat and one white hat, or b) two white hats.

#2 can only see one hat. If he sees a black hat, as shown above, then his hat would be white. He does not say anything, either. Therefore, #1 must be wearing a white hat.

:rock:

Excellent. Your turn.

A man is hiking up a snowy mountain, he comes across a cabin. Inside the cabin is a small fire and two dead men. How did they die? (They did not burn to death.)

(Note: I won't be on again until tomorrow. If you get this, just go ahead and post another question)

Not of thirst... they had plenty of snow to melt, and not of starvation or disease, since they had the energy to build and tend to a fire in the first place.

So I say they died of either smoke inhalation, or oxygen deprivation, or a combination of the two, due to the fire consuming all the oxygen in the low pressure atmosphere, within an enclosed space.

Forum List

Back